walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beaten to the top again.....

Beaten to the top again.....

Postby Duncandsooz » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgritheall

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgritheall

Date walked: 27/05/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 1200m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After yesterdays exploits we were all ready to go again, this time with my dad to tow. He introduced me to hillwalking over 30yrs ago and over the past few years we have had a annual trip up a munro. This year we picked the 5 sisters ridge walk but as weather was so hot dad wasn't too keen so we settled on Beinn Sgritheall thinking that we would be up and down in 5 hrs at the most and the views would be awesome.

We had great view from our trip over from the Cluanie Inn from to Arnisdale.
DSC_0079.jpg
5 sisters from mam ratagan
DSC_0087.jpg
Glenelg Bay
DSC_0089.jpg
war memorial at glenelg
DSC_0091.jpg
Loch hourn

We had a late start due to a few drinks in the Cluanie Inn the night before, and we were leaving the car park at Arnisdale 10.40 this was a mistake as we climbing in heat of the midday sun, it was 28 c in the car temp gauge I kid you not.
DSC05712.JPG
on the way up

DSC05716.JPG
knoydart

We followed the walkhighlands route and the path up to Bealach Arnasdale beside the burn , good for Ailsa, then we cut off up the scree and then up to the subsidiary top.
DSC05719.JPG
main top from the subsidiary top
The heat was intense the path steep and we had many stops. From the first top we had a great walk to the main top where the views were stunning to knoydart and skye esp.
DSC05720.JPG
skye
DSC05731.JPG
barrisdale bay
It took 4hrs to get there although again the children were there first I am sure they would have been up much quicker but they wanted to wait for there grandpa and again waited a the slight notch just before the top.
DSC05734.JPG
at the top

We returned by the path which was v steep after the smaller top but then was a pleasant walk out
DSC05736.JPG
ailsa chilling
DSC05743.JPG
j chilling
The walk took a punishing 7hrs principally due the heat and stops needed, there was also 1200m vertical in total more than I thought it would be.
DSC_0096.jpg
Cuillin on the home- we are all heading there in the summer

We then dipped our feet in Loch Hourn and and then stopped in the Glenelg inn for well earned drinks.

Great walk great views.
Duncandsooz
Mountaineer

Munros:244   Corbetts:4
Islands:11

Re: Beaten to the top again.....

Postby skuk007 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:28 am

Nice report Duncan, looks like a scorcher. Not much shade when you get up high.
Hope you have the same weather in Skye. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland