walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bidean nam Bian and Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Bidean nam Bian and Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Postby welshwalker » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:18 pm

Route description: Bidean nam Bian

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 02/06/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have always wanted to do this route and it didn't disappoint. I haven't had much chance to get out on the hills this year moving in with my fiance, then getting married last month and the honeymoon. Having had another good scan from the hospital too I'm determined to get some of the walks done I have always fancied this Summer before the restrictions of parenthood kick in!

Followed the usual route up the valley toward the peak of stob coire nan lochan. It was totally quite, other than a group camped out by the lochans. Looks a good way to start this walk I think.

Rather than turn right and follow the cliffs around the corrie I turned left and went up the shoulder of stob coire nan lochan. When I had tried this previously, the conditions had been poor with little viz, this time it couldn't have been much better. There is maybe a mild bit of exposure but nothing at all really and the views around are great.

From the summit across to Bidean, it looks as though the final drag up might be incredibly steep, as you get closer it becomes obvious it is pretty easy going. Once up the views are great in every direction...

bidean.jpg

The walk along the ridge is kind to the legs, there is a good path most of the way.

bidean ridge to stob coire sgreamhach.jpg

Once there, the view is great too...

view back from stob coire sgreamhach.jpg

To get back to the road, I went back to the col, the path down is pretty steep and took a bit of time. I found it easier keeping to the snow where possible. By the time I was in the lost valley, I was glad to have set off early as the Sun felt pretty hot by now.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

welshwalker

Munros:84   Corbetts:5
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Bidean nam Bian and Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Postby Graeme D » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:42 pm

welshwalker wrote:Having had another good scan from the hospital too I'm determined to get some of the walks done I have always fancied this Summer before the restrictions of parenthood kick in!

Ah, the restrictions of parenthood! Tell me about it! It sure limits your opportunities for hill time, but it's all good! Nice wee report and best wishes! 8)
Graeme D

Munros:223   Corbetts:105
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby monty » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:13 am

Nice report Welshwalker. Congrats on your recent life changes. I was up there yesterday but came up from Glen feshie. I had read your plans and looked down the path from the top but couldnt see you :lol: :lol: I was up there at 0740 though. :D
monty

Postby welshwalker » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:10 pm

Cheers Monty, poss saw you when I was walking from stob coire nan lochan to bidean. Whats the walk like up from the other side of the ridge?

Graeme, Peanut's not due till January, got all clear with recent scan myself so life all good :-). One of my friends takes his daughter up in the rucksack. Not sure if my inlaws (or wife!) would like me doing that though.
welshwalker

Munros:84   Corbetts:5
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland