walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meikle Bin Circuit (Part 1)

Meikle Bin Circuit (Part 1)

Postby Stuart Angus » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:06 pm

Route description: Meikle Bin, Carron Valley

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 02/06/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 400m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

IMG_0002.JPG
The Meikle Bin

The Meikle Bin is not my favourite hill but its one of them and a cracking walk especially if you do the complete circuit. I've been wanting to get some decent pictures of the circuit so others can try it. Whilst the circuit is longer it's more enjoyable and will test your patience at times (especially the fallen trees in the firebreaks) but the reward is a very pictueresque walk along the Carron Valley Reservoir in beautiful woodlands.
IMG_0006.JPG
Park in TodholesCarpark, there's room for plenty of cars as you an see. Infact this is the busiest I've ever seen it and there's still room for more!

IMG_0007.JPG
I managed to persuade my brother and friend to accompany me, so idecided to use them to highlight the tracks to take........as you'll soon see!

IMG_0009.JPG
Once you've parked head through the Green Fence and head up the path. Before long a junction appears on your right but ignore this and head straight on

IMG_0010.JPG
The reservoir will soon appear on your left

IMG_0017.JPG
Before long The Meikle Bin will appear in front of you from the path, it's more impressive than this picture shows I have to say!

IMG_0021.JPG
As you make your way along the path another path appears on the right. Once again, ignore this and head straight on................just like John & Alison are doing!:)

IMG_0024.JPG
The path leads down over a bridge which has good view up onto the hill and down into the reservoir.

IMG_0031.JPG
Once over the bridge you come to this junction. Take the turning on the right this time. (You will eventually emerge at this point on the return leg via the path on the left!)

IMG_0037.JPG
As you continue uphill yet another path appears on the right, once again just ignore it and continue in your direction of travel uphill

IMG_0039.JPG
At the next junction, take the path on the right. The path on the left takes you through the forestry along the front of the Little Bin.

IMG_0051.JPG
Having walked up quite a long gradual slope of about 600mtrs you level out a little and there are plenty of log piles to take a break on.................some nice views over to the Fintry Hills and Dumgoil here too:)

IMG_0056.JPG
The trees start to narrow as you and it's not long before your at the cut off from the path through the trees on to the hillside itself.

IMG_0057.JPG
A small cairn on the left marks the point to leave the drovers track onto slightly marshier ground!

IMG_0058.JPG
The gap through the trees, but be warned it can get incerdibly boggy!

IMG_0059.JPG
Once through the tress its onto the open hillside for the first time and only 10mins from the top.

IMG_0062.JPG
Follow the faint path on the hillside.

IMG_0074.JPG
Before long the summit comes into view.

IMG_0075.JPG
The top.

In part 2 I'll give the route description for the Circuit's Descent but there is always the option of returning the way I've described here.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Stuart Angus

Munros:81   Corbetts:6
Grahams:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland