walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cuillin Traverse: Ration sweat not water (Day 2)

Cuillin Traverse: Ration sweat not water (Day 2)

by jimandandrea » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:41 pm

Munros included on this walk: Am Basteir, Bruach na Frìthe, Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr a' Ghreadaidh, Sgùrr a' Mhadaidh, Sgùrr Alasdair, Sgùrr Dubh Mòr, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich, Sgùrr na Banachdich, Sgùrr nan Eag, Sgùrr nan Gillean

Date walked: 27/05/2012

Time taken: 35 hours

Distance: 35 km

Ascent: 4000m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Cuillin Traverse: Ration sweat not water (Day 2)

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:05 am

Greta report, reading this and seeing the pictures makes me realize I need to get my hands on rockclimbing gear! As for the shoes...thats a bummer! Present next year...Nepal??
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby ciderpeter » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi Jim, yeh wedding is this Saturday *gulp* - hence the terrible weather forecast.

Then up for our two weeks in God's country - can't wait!!!

I see, can't decide whether to put my slr in the rucksack on Skye - I probably will as it is worth significantly less than yours lol :)

Edit:

And no I didn't get the camera... was all raring to go and decided to leave it a couple of weeks till we were next in Kendal.... and then a gas bill came... and then a water bill came... and then I realised a £600 shortfall in the wedding fund. :? So it was just a new lens for now :) - got the 15-85 canon lens though, which will be good with the 7D when i save up :)
ciderpeter
Munro compleatist

Munros:32   
Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby malky_c » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:24 pm

Don't know why it has taken me so long to look at this. A spectacular effort, and something I have always wanted to do 8).

I have been looking at doing it in a day, but if weather like this was guaranteed, I think I would want the overnight experience. Some stunning photos - cheers :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby jonny616 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:31 pm

Well done both. Great report. Pics are stunning.
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby luckyguy68 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:29 pm

what cracking weather you got. Im heading to the Cairngorms for a few days and am no jealous of where youve been :mrgreen: . Think i will be at Skye this time next year. Good stuff :clap:
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby jimandandrea » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Greta report, reading this and seeing the pictures makes me realize I need to get my hands on rockclimbing gear! As for the shoes...thats a bummer! Present next year...Nepal??

Thanks ML. Andrea likes the Nepal suggestion especially after she read your report. :)

ciderpete wrote: So it was just a new lens for now :) - got the 15-85 canon lens though, which will be good with the 7D when i save up :)

Look forward to your photos. Have a wonderful day on Saturday :D

malky_c wrote: I have been looking at doing it in a day, but if weather like this was guaranteed, I think I would want the overnight experience. Some stunning photos - cheers :D

Thanks. We met a few on the ridge doing a recce for a one day traverse but when we told them how much it added to the experience and why would you want to rush it, I think they may change their mind.

jonny616 wrote:Well done both. Great report. Pics are stunning.

Thanks. Fantastic experience. Unfortunately there are big sections of the traverse with no pics - we were too focused on staying on. :?

luckyguy68 wrote:what cracking weather you got. Im heading to the Cairngorms for a few days and am no jealous of where youve been :mrgreen: . Think i will be at Skye this time next year. Good stuff :clap:

Hope you get some good weather for your Caingorm trip. Just think, you still got Skye to look forward to :wink:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Alan S » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:29 pm

Have just found your 2 excellent reports, a big well done for this, I would love to have a crack at this,thanks for sharing
Really stunning pics 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:24 pm

can't believe I missed these first time round. What an experience! it's my fiftieth next year - now there's an idea!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Jucky78 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:06 am

Hello everyone,
Day 2 of the Cuillin Traverse tested our endurance and resolve. With the sun blazing overhead, we adhered to the mantra: 'Ration sweat, not water.' Every drop was precious as we navigated the challenging terrain. The relentless heat reminded us of nature's power, urging us to conserve energy and stay hydrated wisely.
Jucky78
Munro compleatist

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland