walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Big Shepherd and Little Shepherd in a day

The Big Shepherd and Little Shepherd in a day

Postby clivew » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:37 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 02/06/2012

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

Ascent: 1912m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Along with everyone else who has ever driven through Glen Coe the site of Buachaille Etive Mor and his little brother Buachaille Etive Beag has always filled me with awe; the site of the these two huge megaliths standing at the gateway to the Glen is one of the most memorable sites in Scotland and a view that every visitor to Glen Coe will never forget. I always remember looking across at them both from the Devils Staircase when I walked the West Highland Way with my 4 brothers a few years ago, they are very impressive looking Munros. After climbing them both in a day it's an experience I'll never forget either.
It was a great day for walking, a bit of high cloud and at times a slight breeze but loads of sunshine and nothing to spoil the view.
I parked the car at Altnafeadh just after 8.00, the car park was already filling up so I knew I wouldn't be alone on this walk. Started walking at 8.20 and followed the path down to the River Coupall and across the footbridge; the path maintenance team have done a great job on the footpath up through the Coire na Tulaich, it is very easy to follow and steps most of the way. I soon warmed up and the fleece was in the bag after about 10 minutes never to be seen again all day. Reached the top of the ridge in just over an hour and was soon on the top of my first Munro of the day the impressive Stob Dearg. As I had presumed I wasn't alone and had a chat with a couple of other walkers before moving on.
P1000403.JPG
The start of the route towards Stob Dearg

P1000404.JPG
The Lairig Gartain from Altnafeadh

P1000405.JPG
The route up through Coire na Tulaich

P1000406.JPG
Looking back to the start point at Altnafeadh

P1000410.JPG
An arms length self portrait on the summit of Stob Dearg

I never fully understand the system for grading Munros, Corbetts etc. particularly when you look at B.E.M (please excuse the abrieviation) and in particular Stob na Doire which although standing at an impressive 1011m is down graded (because of it's proximity to Stob Dearg I presume). But it does make for a great walk along the ridge past Stob na Doire, Stob Coire Altruim and on along to Stob na Broige my second Munro of the day.
P1000413.JPG
Stob na Broige from Stob Coire Altruim

P1000416.JPG
Stob Dubh on Buachaille Etive Beag from the summit of Stob na Broige

P1000417.JPG
Loch and Glen Etive from Stob na Broige

P1000418.JPG
Looking NW from Stob na Broige to Stob Coir nam Beith

I stopped on the summit of Stob na Broige for brunch and chat with the other walkers who had gathered their, everyone else was heading back to the car park at Altnafeadh but my trek was only part way over. I was heading across the Lairig Gartain and up the other side to Buachaille Etive Beag.

P1000419.JPG
What was going to be my 4th Munro Stob Coire Raineach across on Buachailee Etive Beag

The route down to the path in the Lairig Gartain is easy enough to follow, just retrace your steps back to the bealach below Stob Coire Altuim and follow the path north. It's an interesting route down, with a couple of short scrambles on the way. When I reached the path alongside the River Coupall I turned left up the Lairig Gartain whilst everyone else turned right and back to the car park.
I followed the path for about 1K until I reached the first large burn coming down from the bealach on Buachaille Etive Beag, turning right here there is a faint path which leads straight up to the lowest point on the Buachaille Etive Beag ridge above. The going up was fairly straight forward, the path keeps close to the right hand bank of the burn all the way to the top.
The ridge was pretty crowded with walkers; it is good to see so many people out enjoying themselves but its a bit strange when you are used to being pretty much on your own on the less popular walks. The views from here were great especially looking across to the Aonach Eagach Ridge.

P1000424.JPG
Aonach Eagach ridge from Buachaille Etive Beag

P1000425.JPG
The route down from Buachaille Etive Mor

I headed South West towards the summit of Stob Dubh first as that is the furthest from the bealach; I can honestly say I have never seen so many people on one summit, I didn't stay long.

P1000427.JPG
Glen Etive from Buachaille Etive Beag

P1000430.JPG
Lairig Gartain and Buachaille Etive Mor from Stob Dubh

P1000431.JPG
The crowded summit of Stob Dubh

Followed the ridge back along Buachaille Etive Beag towards Stob Coire Raineach, my legs started to cramp up a bit when I was heading up towards the summit but thankfully a good stretch and a rub eased it off.
It was 3.00 when I reached the last of the 4 Munro summits; what a great walk it had been I felt a real sense of achievement and it was a perfect day for attempting this walk.

P1000433.JPG
Stob Dearg and Buachaille Etive Mor from Stob Coire Raineach

I followed my route back to the Lairig Gartain and on down to the car park at Altnafeadh which I reached at about 4.45. I had promised to take the wife out for something to eat tonight so didn't stop off for a pint headed straight back to Edinburgh, tired but feeling pleased with myself.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: The Big Shepherd and Little Shepherd in a day

Postby monty » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:05 pm

Excellent report Clivew, Me and Danrun done a similar walk to bag the four munros in one but just crossed the valley. We went reverse to you and dropped of the end of Stob Dubh and straight up the other side. Nice photos but looks busy. :D
monty

Postby clivew » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:58 pm

monty wrote:Excellent report Clivew, Me and Danrun done a similar walk to bag the four munros in one but just crossed the valley. We went reverse to you and dropped of the end of Stob Dubh and straight up the other side. Nice photos but looks busy. :D

Hi Monty, "busy" wasn't the word for it, I'm heading somewhere quiet next time out, but a great walk all the same.
clivew
Mountain Walker

Postby Tomsie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:20 pm

Nice photo's, bit of a party going on up there
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby skuk007 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:11 pm

Nice report Clive, looks like you had a great day. I guess popular hills like these are always going to be busy on a day like this. Great photos too. You and Monty are making me feel like a slouch doing these in one outing. :-)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Fudgie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:37 pm

Thats a great effort. When I had descended to the Lairig Gartain I looked up at the wee Buchaille and thought sod that :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby davetherave » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:50 pm

Some great pictures you got there Clive. We were the same as Monty, we did something similar as you but in reverse. We also got a great day for it, but thankfully there were no crowds!! :clap:

Cheers Dave
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby clivew » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:30 pm

Tomsie wrote:Nice photo's, bit of a party going on up there

Just a bit, there were a party of boy (and girl) scouts plus two other reasonably sized groups of various ages. I was thinking of holding a raffle for some worthy cause but didn't have any tickets :lol: :lol:
clivew
Mountain Walker

Postby clivew » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Fudgie wrote:Thats a great effort. When I had descended to the Lairig Gartain I looked up at the wee Buchaille and thought sod that :lol:

Hi Fudgie, I must admit the same thought did cross my mind but it really was a great day and I knew I had loads of time to finish if I needed it. Another reason is I'm off to Skye in a couple of weeks and I needed the additional exercise under my belt. :D :D
clivew
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:05 pm

Enjoyed that - great WR and a great day for it ! Did exactly the same route as you last year but in reverse - Stob na Broige was my 100th and always like seeing WRs for these hills. Like you I was amazed at just how busy it was on Buachaille Etive Mor yet hardly anyone on BE Beag - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ngm1scot » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:32 pm

Delighted to see that a 4 munro day is possible as thats what we plan to do on 23rd June weather permitting of course. We'll have a newbie with us though so the going might be quite a bit slower - but hey I was a newbie myself just a year ago! Well done and thanks for the report and the photos which really help me to sus out the land as I'm the leader!
ngm1scot
Munro compleatist

Munros:54   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Bod » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Well Clive, well walked a some great pics......impressive time for all 4 of the munros. I've still the two wee ones to do. Cool self portrait! :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby clivew » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Bod wrote:Well Clive, well walked a some great pics......impressive time for all 4 of the munros. I've still the two wee ones to do. Cool self portrait! :D :D :D

Thanks Bod & everyone, a great day out really enjoyed this lot, it's so much easier when you know you have all the time in the world to complete. I'm off to Skye with my brother next week, got a guide booked (Jonah Jones) and weather permitting should get my 100 up while I'm there. :D :D
clivew
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland