walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A long diversion or climb a Corbett?

A long diversion or climb a Corbett?

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:44 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a'Bhuachaille

Date walked: 01/06/2012

Time taken: 2 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were returning down the A9 from our trip to Fisherfield when we arrived at Dalwhinnie to find the road was closed. Sadly this was due to a fatal accident involving two lorries and we were told the road would be closed until at least 5pm, it was 11.30 when we arrived. As my car was at Calvine this would mean a diversion via Fort William a journey that would take almost 3 hours. Jimmy was driving and we were all pretty tired so i suggested a short Corbett at Aviemore. We decided this would be better than the long drive and hopefully once we had climbed the Corbett the A9 would re-open. The Corbett in question was Meall a' Bhuachaille which we climbed from the visitors centre. It was a straight forward up and down on the path which took 2 hours. After the walk we spent some time in Aviemore before heading back down the A9 with a 2 hour wait on the A9 re-opening. Thankfully this road will be dual- carriageway in a few years time.
P1030168.JPG
Meall a' Bhuachaille

P1030169.JPG
Coming out the forest

P1030170.JPG
Cairngorms

P1030171.JPG
The Loch

P1030172.JPG
Cairngorms

P1030173.JPG
The summit

P1030174.JPG
View 1

P1030175.JPG
View 2

P1030176.JPG
View 3

P1030177.JPG
View 4
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:207
Grahams:162   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:286   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: A long diversion or climb a Corbett?

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:14 pm

A cracking little time filler JC, far better than 2 hours sitting in the car (or a further 2 hours that is) nice to see my old 'local area' bathed in sunlight again :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: A long diversion or climb a Corbett?

Postby monty » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:58 pm

Excellent Johnny. One of the few Corbets I have done. Done in the snow mind. Shame about the reason for the diversion but top marks for dedication. I drive up the A9 regularly to Inverness and see some real nutters overtaking. Maybe not in this case but the sooner it is duelled the better. :D
monty

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland