walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion-take 2!

Schiehallion-take 2!

Postby coldwetandhungry » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 02/06/2012

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's half term and we decided we were going to have a second shot at Schiehallion in...safer weather. Last time we got to around half the way up (well I say that I don't really know and I might be exaggerating just a little). We drove up from my auntie's house on the borders up to Schiehallion and set off without much further ado, because Auntie Sheila had to be home before it got too late.
The attachment our_route.gpx is no longer available

Began walking up the excellent path, remembering just how wet it had been last time and shuddering a little. As it happens, it was almost the complete opposite of how it had been, if maybe a little windy. By this time Dad, Sheila and Sheila's dog Pippa were racing ahead, leaving me and dear old Mum plodding along afterwards. Pippa was very worried that we were not walking together, and kept racing between the gap. We were all trying to figure out just where we had given up and gone home the last time, with no luck at all.

After a while, we began to get lots of rocks and stones, and some nasty false summits. I was sure we were getting close to the top. At last I spotted a cairn rising up over the last false summit, and rushed towards it. I could see Dad and Sheila waiting for us. Dad asked me to come and look at an 'interesting optical illusion.' As I got closer, a huge lump of rock rose up ahead of me. And I was so sure i had reached the top! Dad's 'interesting illusion' was explained. According to Dad, we were actually on the summit, and that bit only looks higher from here, and that is why people always climb it. Humph.

We had to keep plodding on of course, but i was getting really annoyed with all these horrible false summits by now, and it didn't help that we were actually trying to negotiate a very large and scary boulder field. The dog was not amused and kept having to stop and find another route, her having no hands and all. I was getting very sore ankles but was being very good and not moaning wink wink. At least there were no more false summits. Sheila and Pippa were racing on ahead, but Dad( the kind and lovely soul that he is) stopped to wait for us. Not much later Sheila appeared on the summit, closely followed by her canine friend.

now it was just a matter of keeping going and not falling over, and after a few minutes, we were all sat on the top. Dad cracked out the espresso maker and Mum revealed the stove and meths, and then we all began a heated search for the kettle. Mum was certain that she had put it in and began to blame Dad for taking it out of her pack, before realising that she had in fact probably taken it out herself. No tea, just coffee. Blech. We sat for a while and ate leftover hog roast sandwiches, which are really very good. Dog whined and whined for us to get going again, so we did. I felt very chuffed because I raced ahead accompanied by Pippa, and the others had to run to catch up. Pippa got very agitated because we weren't all together, and kept running back and forth again. We got back to the car in no time at all, and went for a cuppa in Loch Tummel inn- very nice but not exceptional. Sat at a table outside and froze a little. Sheila went back to the borders and we carried on north to grandma's house, for pie and beans. Very nice. Having a nice rest day (which probably includes a bike ride, some swimming and a village fete somewhere) and then tomorrow we are off to the Cairngorms. Whoopee-do. Here are some pictures :)

P6021244.jpg
just setting off... wish us luck!

P6021259.jpg
pippa

P6021249.jpg
looking back- huge damage in the trees, probably wind but we dont know

P6021275.jpg
some hills :)

P6021291.jpg
a nice wee rest on the top
Last edited by coldwetandhungry on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coldwetandhungry
Mountain Walker

Munros:31   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Schiehallion-take 2!

Postby monty » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:12 pm

What a great report. I must admit false summits are not my most favorite of things :lol: :lol: Its a lovely mountian and congratulations on getting to the top this time. :D
monty

Postby coldwetandhungry » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:48 pm

thank you very much :D :D
coldwetandhungry
Mountain Walker

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:32 pm

well done chuck. :clap: You may have some of my photos when I get them off the camera. :lol:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby KeithS » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:11 am

Well done to all of you. It's a nice mountain to climb. Maybe next time you should do the packing and not trust Mum and Dad to remember everything :lol:
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Clach Liath » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:24 am

Good report CWH - like your style. You need to get your mum to provide you those pictures!
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:34 pm

ok so I'm sorry it has taken so long but here are your pictures. I took a lot of pics of wild flowers, as there were lots of different ones, so any help with identification would be appreciated.
It was very sad I didnt bring the kettle. No tea, just coffee which I don't really like. lukewarm as well. Rudolph had brought the espresso maker and I had the stove and the milk. and lots of tea bags too.
P6021245.jpg
hearts ease

P6021246.jpg
small white flower

P6021248.jpg
tormentil

P6021249.jpg
looking over towards ben a'ghlo

P6021253.jpg
some kind of speedwell?

P6021256.jpg
more heartseases

P6021265.jpg
cloud berry

P6021274.jpg
over to ben lawers group

P6021275.jpg
beinn a'ghlo with glen tilt on its left, right in the middle of the picture

P6021277.jpg
the rather horrid boulder field at the top

P6021279.jpg
CWH on the summit

P6021283.jpg
the three of us on the summit, with pippa the dog

P6021287.jpg
the coffee pot on the stove

P6021293.jpg
powering away downhill

P6021299.jpg
we were there - from the Loch Tummel Inn
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby coldwetandhungry » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:06 pm

sorry about the wait for pictures, but i've added them now
coldwetandhungry
Mountain Walker

Postby rohan » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:59 am

The small white flower is bearberry I think.
rohan

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:03 pm

Well done at your second attempt and in better weather by the looks of it. You got some nice photos there. Read you mums report on your Cairngorms trip, that was a good one and well done, that was a good effort :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland