walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Early doors on Beinn a' Bheithir

Early doors on Beinn a' Bheithir

Postby Magoo82 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:59 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgòrr Dhearg (Beinn a' Bheithir), Sgòrr Dhònuill (Beinn a' Bheithir)

Date walked: 03/06/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather forecast for today was sunny early on then patchy cloud from 10am onwards. Not to be deterred i got out of bed at 2am, left Dundee at 3am and was ready to rock and roll at South Ballachulish by 5:30 am, got to make the most of the sunshine :wink:

I did the walk the boring way, starting at South Ballachulish, walking up through the forest, climbing the two munros then back the way i came in an upsidedown T shape.

ballachulish 003.jpg

The forest is a maze of paths and tracks but i was pleasantly surprised to find that the green signposts directed me up a path which isn't represented on the map. After that it was just a case of following the fenceline up to the bealach.

ballachulish 011.jpg

The view back down from the bealach was already impressive but the best was yet to come.

ballachulish 012.jpg

Having read a few reports on this mountain on here beforehand i was aware that there was a scary bit on Sgorr Dhonuill so i decided to take that one on first rather than spend the rest of the day worrying about it. So off i trudged...

ballachulish 017.jpg

ballachulish 018.jpg

I was now beginning to reel it in and the scary path was gradually coming into view...

ballachulish 022.jpg

ballachulish 025.jpg

ballachulish 042.jpg

After all the worry it wasn't too bad. It's only about 10 yards long and whilst it's a little exposed you're sheltered from the wind. You're obviously aware of the danger but as long as you take care and "keep the heid" there's nothing much to worry about here. It's no exactly tightrope stuff, you've got plenty path to work with.

ballachulish 026.jpg

Then onward to the summit (8:00am, a new early summt record for me!) where there lovely view in all directions.

ballachulish 028.jpg

ballachulish 030.jpg

ballachulish 034.jpg

ballachulish 039.jpg

After a careful descet back to the bealach i had time for a quick banana break then onward up Sgorr Dhearg.

ballachulish 046.jpg

The walk up to Sgorr Dhearg is pretty straightforward and the summit was attained at 9:30am with lovely view all around again, Ben Nevis, the Glencoe mountains all visible.

ballachulish 059.jpg

ballachulish 049.jpg

ballachulish 045.jpg

ballachulish 057.jpg

After motoring back down to the bealach i took one last snap of the forest...

ballachulish 063.jpg

Upon re-entering the forest i bumped into a couple of groups on their way up. We exchanged pleasantries and passed on a few tips, both surprised that the forest path didn't appear on the map but there you go.

I made it back to the car for 11:30am and stopped at the Kings House on the way back for a haggis and cheddar pannini just to waste some of the calories i'd burned :( It was mighty tasty though 8)

Home in time for the police to chap my door and ask if i had any information regarding a murder that took place round the corner on Friday night. Beverly Hilltown indeed.

Cracking day out though, lovely scenery. Often when you climb a munro you think "that's another one ticked off the list". But i'd seriously consider doing these two again. Fabulous.
Magoo82
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   Islands:15

Re: Early doors on Beinn a' Bheithir

Postby jimandandrea » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:57 pm

Haggis and cheddar Panini?? Great report and fantastic pics. :clap: :clap: Now where did I put put that Haggis.......
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Early doors on Beinn a' Bheithir

Postby Annabella1949 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:28 pm

jimandandrea wrote:Haggis and cheddar Panini?? Great report and fantastic pics. :clap: :clap: Now where did I put put that Haggis.......

Excellent report first class photo's. Did these Munro's on the 4th June & 5th June did Beinn a'Bheither on its own folowed the route from car park up from golf course what a steep assend we also went back down that way scary the next day was easy
Annabella1949
Munro compleatist

Munros:94   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:22   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland