walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Skiddaw, Longside Edge & Lonscale Fell

Skiddaw, Longside Edge & Lonscale Fell

Postby poppiesrara » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:16 am

Wainwrights included on this walk: Carl Side, Long Side, Lonscale Fell, Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man, Ullock Pike

Hewitts included on this walk: Long Side, Lonscale Fell, Skiddaw, Skiddaw Little Man

Date walked: 02/06/2012

Time taken: 4.5

Distance: 20.25 km

Ascent: 1230m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A mixed day for a first climb of one of the Lakeland giants.

skiddaw.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Longside Edge makes a terrific approach route (albeit only gained by a breathtakingly steep path up from the roadside, almost too much before the calves are loosened up…) - a great path along the gently climbing rocky ridge, with – until they were lost in the gathering mist – lovely views to Bassenthwaite Lake and bleaker ones to the towering slopes of Skiddaw.
Skiddaw 001.jpg
Bassenthwaite Lake & Sale Fell

Skiddaw 004.jpg
Barf & the Derwent Fells over Bassenthwaite Lake

Skiddaw 006.jpg
Down The Edge

Skiddaw 007.jpg
Ullock Pike

Skiddaw 009.jpg
Bassenthwaite Lake again

Skiddaw 012.jpg
Buzzard Knott below a hidden Skiddaw

Skiddaw 020.jpg
Nearly a view of Derwent Water, from Carl Side

The last view for an hour or more was the one leaving Carl Side, any sight of Skiddaw or its lower Men lost in the peasoup. The walking is easy enough, the path cutting up across the scree much firmer and easier than expected and little chance of losing the well-cairned route across the stony summit ridge, but you feel a little cheated not to see the famed views south.
Skiddaw 024.jpg
Carl Side

Skiddaw 025.jpg
Token picture of the summit... The trig and toposcope are probably actually perpendicular, but it was very windy...

The route down - and back into the sun - over Lonscale Fell and Burnt Horse into the brown hollow of Skiddaw Forest, is gentle and quick going, if it lacks the drama of the ascent. This area feels a very peaceful and remote wilderness, even so close to the crowds on Skiddaw.
Skiddaw 028.jpg
Finally - another view... the approach to Lonscale Fell

Skiddaw 031.jpg
Burnt Horse

Skiddaw 035.jpg
Glenderaterra valley, and western slopes of Blencathra

Skiddaw 038.jpg
North face of Lonscale Fell

Skiddaw 041.jpg
Great Calva

Skiddaw 044.jpg
A first sight of Skiddaw, across Hare Crag

After an impressive view of Dash Falls and the crags that terminate Skiddaw’s north ridge, it’s a pretty long contouring route back to the starting point, quite rough-going in the early stages until a half-path forms that skirts most obstacles, but can’t quite find a good way through the bogs of Barkbethdale. Perhaps starting this route near Bassenthwaite and taking the Cumbria Way down would have a nicer symmetry and better paths? – but the ascent is one well worth repeating.
Skiddaw 050.jpg
Head of Dash Falls

Skiddaw 051.jpg
Dead Crags

Skiddaw 054.jpg
Back to Dash Falls

Skiddaw 055.jpg
Uldale Fells

Skiddaw 056.jpg
Binsey

Skiddaw 060.jpg
Longside Edge over Buzzard & Great Knotts

Skiddaw 067.jpg
Bass Lake
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Skiddaw, Longside Edge & Lonscale Fell

Postby colgregg » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:35 pm

Looks like you had a great day out Poppie (despite the cloudy summit). I did a similar route to you a few weeks ago (Ullock pike, etc.) but opted to drop off the north end to Bakestall instead of doing Lonscale. I never did pick up the return path you went on from Dead Crags which would have saved me a few miles of pounding Hard tarmac back to Ravenstone.
colgregg
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   Corbetts:5
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:181

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Great report of another long stretch P, strange to find that cloud lingering over the summit but the rest of the day looked beautiful, typical :roll:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:50 pm

I love the Ulock Pike aproach to Skiddaw, anybody who thinks Skiddaw is nothing but a big boring lump should try it. Also nice to see pics of one of the Lakes emptiest areas the back 'o siddaw. Nice report Poppie!
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby malky_c » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:47 pm

That looks like a nice long round, and a good way of seeing the less busy side of the 'boring lump' :)

I still haven't done Skiddaw (I don't think it has anything to do with its reputation, just never got around to it), but I'm looking at a couple of weekend routes in the Lakes for once I've finished the Welsh hills. I doubt I'll do this exactly, but there is lots of useful info for the more obscure bits there. Cheers :)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:313   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby poppiesrara » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:09 pm

Thanks, all.

Skiddaw didn't really strike me as deserving of a 'boring' reputation', but perhaps the little bits I saw of the straight 'tourist' route up from Keswick might suggest that it's a fairly straightforward and unvarying route - hard to think that this way up isn't better.

Malky - looking forward to seeing the reports of those last few Welsh Hewitts. If you're anything like me, after a year or so constantly over there, with more than enough rough going, it feels a bit of a cakewalk to see good paths leading everywhere in the Lakes!
poppiesrara
Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1
Hewitts:315

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland