walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lochnagar & Loch Muick circuit

Lochnagar & Loch Muick circuit

Postby Gable Gable End » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:14 pm

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 16/10/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 19 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have had a horrendous barren spell of a few months as the football season has kicked off again, meaning no walking at the weekends :(

I was dying to get out on the hills again, high pressure was noted and a holiday form was submitted then approved. I had to be in Aberdeen for an interview at 10am and was finished by 12 noon (Successful).

It was to to fire across to Glen Muick to finally see it for myself. The weather was pretty clear, the odd patches of cloud and much more wind than expected. I set off from the car park at Spitall of Glen Muick at 1:30 and set about heading along the Lochnagar path. Apologies for the quality of the photo's, I was armed with only my camera phone.

On a day as good as this, the gradual slope was a pleasure!

I made pretty good time considering the route said 7 hours and within 1 hour I was at the foot of Meikle Pap and after a short climb up a manicured path of stones I hit the plateau where the famous face of Lochnagar stared back at me

I then headed round towards the cliffs of Lochnagar climbing up the short climb to the summit, by this point I had run into a nice couple from Kirkcaldy who were up staying in Clova and they advised that it is VERY cold up there. I would later see them again.

I stoppped for some soup and sandwiches and sheltered away from the wind. In truth I could have stayed up here all day as I was completely within myself. Fantastic views over to Mount Keen & Battock etc I was planning to go back on the route I came due to time restrictions but I was at the Summit after 2hrs so I decided to head down to loch muick and make my way back along the loch.

As I made my way along the path I came across 3 chaps who were working on the path and emptying boulders fromt he stream into the path and packing it up again, seemed like very hard work and I pondered about how they got trailers and generators up there. As i was heading along the path I noticed some red blood, probably from a Deer.

approaching loch muick. Stunning

I bumped into the couple from Kirkcaldy again and I nearly missed the stunning waterfall! Thankfully they pointed this out to me :D

I really fancied going for a dip in the pool but I decided against it!!

After having a nice chat with the couple I had to burst off as I had to be back for dinner! I began to approach Loch Muick and the views were incredible with the October sky!
Stunning!![/img]

Loch Muick was incredible and I will definetly be back with the tent!!

I headed round the nearside track toward to Boathouse and constantly looked back at the evening drawing in over Broad Cairn.

[i] Maybe not today, but def another

A great day for it. 4.5 hours and back at the car. I would have loved to have camped out!!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Lochnagar & Loch Muick circuit

Postby Alan S » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:03 pm

Good report mo

There have been a few good ones of this hill,maybe i will pay it a visit next year
I dont bother with the football anymore especially the old firm games,i go out walking now instead as i cant be bothered with the hype anymore as they are all rotten :) must be getting old

The camera phones seem to be taking as good a pic now as the digital cameras

Some great pics 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Re: Lochnagar & Loch Muick circuit

Postby Gable Gable End » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:58 pm

thanks alan.

I don't follow any of that rubbish, I follow real football! Montrose FC: the pride of Angus (just not at the moment! :lol: )

Great walk this one, really enjoyed the drop into Loch Muick, it' breathtaking stuff! It would have been great to head over the tops and do the white mounth circuit but I didn't have enough time. I had walked up Jocks Road in summer and went across to Cairn Bannoch but was scuppered by mist and cloud and camped up in the hope that it would improve the next day as I am not one for climbing up a hill to see nothing!! Sadly it was wet, windy, and still rotten :(
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland