walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond

Ben Lomond

Postby norriew » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:47 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 28/05/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my first ever munro walk. I had read that this was one of the easiest climbs and thought this might be a good starting point. The temperature however was an extraordinary 25 degrees with virtually no wind. After about 500m I began to think I'd made a terrible mistake, this was not what I had in mind! I plodded on until I reached just beyond the second gate then decided I would go back. I plotted an area a little further up and stopped to have a drink, having made my mind up I'd be heading back. A couple passed by as I sat a little dejected and I began chatting to them. They sympathised, offered some words of encouragement and went on their way. After sitting for around ten minutes I decided to try and go a little further and did so successfully, using the same mindset "just a little further" and having a little break every now and then. I made it to the top much to my own surprise and was delighted with my achievement. The views overlooking loch lomond are absolutely stunning, views that I would never have experienced if I hadn't been so stubborn. This has spurred me on to try another (then maybe more).
Attachments
311.JPG
norriew
Mountain Walker

Munros:63   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Ben Lomond

Postby psticks » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi Norriew, we just did our first Munro today as well. We did Schiehallion. Obviously it was a lot warmer with you, it was about 13 where we were. Yeh! its a bit dispiriting if you look up too much and constantly see how much further it is. Turn around and see how far you have come. We had decided to take all day if need be.Sounds like Ben Lomond could be a good one for us. anyway well done! :clap:
psticks
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Fudgie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:16 pm

Well done on making it to the top. You'll always have moments when you question your sanity (usually it's in the middle of a snowstorm or on a wet and windy day :D ) but it's a great feeling standing on the summit.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby ScottishLeaf » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:21 pm

Congrats on getting your first munro. :clap:
Ben Lomond was my first one as well, back in February, only you actually got to see the views from the top!
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland