walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Tarmachan Ridge

The Tarmachan Ridge

Postby Dunfie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:21 am

Route description: The Tarmachan Ridge

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Tarmachan

Date walked: 04/06/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With an extra few days holiday and a good forecast we thought it was a good opportunity to do the Tarmachan Ridge. We hadn't been up to the NTS carpark since last year so I drove past the new carpark without realising that the old carpark had been closed. :roll: A quick three point turn later and we drove into the new car, paid my 2 quid, changed into our boots and were on the road for 8:30. 8)

Views from the carpark

Its a very good path from the carpark, nothing too steep until the short climb near the top of Meall nan Tarmachan. We got some good views on the way up.

Meall Garbh on ascent of Meall nan Tarmachan

A closer view of Meall Garbh

Ben Lawers, & Beinn Ghlas

It doesn't take too long to reach Meall nan Tarmachan and you get a feel for the walk ahead.

View to Meall Garbh from just before Meall nan Tarmachan

Cameron at Cairn with Ben Lawers in the background

The ridge just after the summit of Meall Garbh

Looking back on Meall Garbh

Nice views down to Glen Lyon

View to Beinn nan Eachan from Meall Garbh

The scramble down from here wasn't too bad - we managed to shuffle down the awkward bit without any issues. I can imagine it being a bit treacherous in the wet or ice. When you get down below the path that misses out the scramble is obvious so on hindsight it might have been useful to have been looking out for it. From here it was an easy walk over to Beinn nan Eachan - and an early lunch. :)

View back to Meall Garbh from Beinn nan Eachan

View to Creag na Caillich from Beinn nan Eachan (Ben More and Stob Binnien in the background).

We got to the bottom of the Beinn nan Eachan but decided to carry on up to Creag na Caillich before retracing back to the bealach that drops down to the quarry and land rover track.

The Tarmachan Ridge from Creag na Caillich

I think we were lucky with the walk down to the track as it wasn't too boggy but I can imagine it being really heavy going most of the year. Once at the bottom is was a nice easy stroll along the track back to the car.

View of The Tarmachan Ridge from the landrover track.
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:132   Islands:5

Re: The Tarmachan Ridge

Postby Malckyb » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:54 am

Nice pics..was my first Munro and still one of my fave walks ever..a great walk. :)
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby 2dalmatians » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:27 pm

Nice report. I did the Munro at the start of the year but turned back from the ridge walk as the conditions were treacherous - no crampons.
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Dunfie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:23 pm

Thanks - it was a lovely walk and not too taxing. I can imagine a couple of sections being a challenge in the winter but we got a very sanitised version on Monday.
Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:33 pm

This is one i want to do again as i did it in clag, blue skies when i got back to Killin :? Cheers good to see what it's like up there :)
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Dunfie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Thought I would show where the bypass is for the scramble. Its not as easy to see from above but this might give an idea for when its coming up:

Dunfie
Mountain Walker

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:07 pm

Nice report and some god pics, I also done the ridge as far as Meall Garbh but turned back due to strong winds and lovely clag :? Decided the ridge was to risky

Cheers for sharing
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland