walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mayar & Driesh

Mayar & Driesh

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:30 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 05/06/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 835m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having started walking a month ago with a charity climb of Ben Nevis, I think it's safe to say I've caught the bug. Next up were the two Munros closest to me, Mayar and Driesh, at the top of beautiful Glen Doll above Kirriemuir in Angus.

Things got off to a less than smooth start however, when I realised my walking boots were in my mate's van, so i had to use another pair (for which i would suffer greatly later). Anyway, after some to-ing and fro-ing, down to business.

This walk of course starts with a fairly easy stroll through Glen Doll forest, which doesn't take long to open up into the simply stunning Corrie Fee:

05062012070.JPG
Start of Corrie Fee

This first section of the walk was pretty brisk, and in just over an hour from the car park i was sitting at the top of Corrie Fee, enjoying a spot of lunch, and taking in the beautiful views.

05062012074.JPG
The far end of Corrie Fee

05062012075.JPG

It was at this point that i started to realise my boots were an absolute disaster. The heels were rubbing and i knew they were blistering. This was far from cool, with a LOT of ascent still to go. I finally exited the Corrie and pushed for Mayar's summit, gingerly at first, but the pain was so bad, i just went as hard and as fast as i could to get it over with and got there quite quickly. The view from Mayar's summit was fantastic, and my crap camera does it no justice at all.

05062012078.JPG
Mayar Summit

I had a look across to Driesh at this point and was pleased that the path there seemed flat almost all the way, which would ease the pain a bit, and it was fine for a while. However the wind and rain started to make an appearance. I got to the foot of the ascent to Little Dreish and again decided just to tank it up there. Of course it wa sa bit steeper than Mayar so i was about spewing by the time I got to the flatter path, before the final push up to Driesh itself which i must say wasn't too bad at all.

05062012084.JPG
Driesh Summit

The view from Driesh wasn't as good as Mayar's so i didn't hang about long, and with my heels still nipping, headed back down the Kilbo Path, which seemed to go on forever, but after a few painful winces and some muttered expletives I got back down to the car about 4 hours after starting.

All in all, a throughly enjoyable day (foot issues apart), and worth it for Corree Fee alone.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:245   Corbetts:32
Grahams:11   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland