walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgor Gaoith

Sgor Gaoith

Postby dektasker » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Route description: Sgòr Gaoith, from Glen Feshie

Munros included on this walk: Sgòr Gaoith

Date walked: 02/06/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 913m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The three of us started at Feshiebridge and followed the footpath which is the best I have walked so far (not many as this is my 6th munro) We left the path and followed the stream that flows down the coire. We walked up the Coire Allt a’ Mharcaidh to the point between Meall Tionail and Meall Buidhe which was level with the cairn on Meall Tionial. We walked around Meall Buidhe heading for the spot height between Sgoran Dubh Mor and the summit point of Sgor Gaoith The views towards glen Feshie where good
DSC_0057.jpg
The views towards glen Feshie are good and we where lucky as we had a clearish day

At the point between Meall Tionail and Meall Buidhe the views are pretty good as well as this photo looking back towards Glen Feshie shows.
DSC_0065.jpg
looking back towards Glen Feshie

The walk up this part of the route was the hardest. Initially the heather was short and easy to walk on but then it became quite deep and felt like you where walking in deep snow. This took about 30 minutes of hard effort Once up this part and onto the plateau the going got easier and underfoot it was more rocks and grass. Took the chance to recharge the batteries and from this point on it was fairly straight forward.

Once at the top of Sgor Gaoith the views are breath taking. Like Boab said better than the gran canyon. Loch Eanaich is wonderful

With the views towards Braeriach
DSC_0095.jpg

and next time we are thinking of taking the bikes from coilin bridge and heading up Braeriach. Should be good.
DSC_0097.jpg
Coilin bridge

The drop from the summit is sheer and has a dramtic drop into the Loch below.
DSC_0109.jpg
What a view to Loch Eanaich

What a day and a good walk with some special views for not that much effort. Would recommened. Coming back down was good. Not much in the way of bog though it was wet and I did slip a few times. Actually this is the first walk where I actually slipped to the ground. Need to get myself some walking poles like Bob and Boab.

I post all my pictures through my twitter page @dektasker and through flickr. Photos from this walk are availbe from this link http://flic.kr/s/aHsjzRsrAm as are many other. You ar emore than welcomed to have a look. :)
Attachments
DSC_0090.jpg
Loch Eanaich is wonderful
dektasker

Munros:271   Corbetts:2

Re: Sgor Gaoith

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:42 pm

nice pics of the loch
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland