walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Arran sweater

Arran sweater

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:53 pm

Route description: Three Beinns Walk, Glen Rosa

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Tarsuinn

Date walked: 05/06/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1013m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had been looking to go to Arran for a while now and had looked up a few walks to do, planned some routes, did some research and finally decided to go for this walk after reading reports by bobblehatkenny and kevsbald. I first went there some twenty years ago with some mates from school for some camping, underage drinking and in the search of like minded burds :wink: As it was we got knocked back from every pub we went to, got two burds between about 8 of us (not sharing, 6 of us were unlucky on that score) and managed to climb goatfell in jeans and trainers and with a couple of cans of irn bru between us. :lol: I was amazed by the landscape around me and it was some 16/17 years later before i was to climb a hill again. :wtf:
So anyway, the day got off to a slow start, despite having all but my food packed the night before, i woke up feeling a bit ugh about the day ahead. My wife was coming down with a virus and i was thinking, if i go out today....but anyway she just said, "you`ll only do ma nut in all day if you stay, just go !" So as i`m carless at the mo my plan was to get to the ferry by train and take my wife`s bright pink pedal bike with me so to save time to and from Glen Rosa. As it was i took too long getting ready, nearly forgot my water pouch and the chain fell off. I missed the train. I had 45 mins to get to Glasgow Central. I cycled/pushed the bike 7.5km to town. I just caught this train. I sat relieved and breathless on the train and warmed to the growing blue skies as i approached Ardrossan. Ferry met, big breaky consumed and i headed on to deck to catch some snaps as we approached Brodick.
Arran 5.6.12 005a.jpg
Arran beckons

I cycled along the main road towards Corrie , turning left UP( it`s a pretty steep UP) the String Rd and taking a quick right into the Glen Rosa farm and campsite. After just passing the happy campers on site i laughed to myself as after a bit of up and down cycling it was all going downhill now, and then i realised,"i`ll need to cycle back up this!" So I quickly ditched the bike under some trees, applied my newly acquired Smidge, and set off on foot down the glen.
Arran 5.6.12 016a.jpg
Beinn Tarsuinn from Glen Rosa

It was a pleasant walk as i worked off the numb bum and the sun shone down on me. As i got to the bridge you could now see down the glen to the saddle of Goatfell and Cir Mhor poking up above it.
Arran 5.6.12 032a.jpg
Glen Rosa/Cir Mhor

Across the bridge and immediately left up the hill by the waterfall is the route towards Beinn Tarsuinn. You can`t really make it out among the ferns and long grass but there is an excellent , stepped path all the way up onto the wide open moorland.
Arran 5.6.12 037a.jpg
waterfall/path

Up here it did get a pathless and boggy before the path emerges agian through the heather. I just got to thinking if there were snakes in Arran as there has been quite a bit about them in the news recently. There was only two possible answers to this and i couldn`t think which was right. :lol: Five minutes later I found out for sure, there are snakes on Arran ! Just like i did two years ago in the Gorms, I was walking along taking in the scenery when i planted my stick in the ground and got startled when i heard a rustling in the grass, only to look down and see a small adder slithering away from me. :shock: I jumped back and fumbled for my camera as it weaved it`s way into the long grass and out of sight. I hung around, poking the grass to see if i could rumble it out , but it was gone and i was on my way again.
The weather forcast the previous days had said low cloud cover and light rain, but it was scorching hot and i think i was only saved from sunburn but the light fluffy clouds passing overhead. I soon came across the river crossing which is a steep, scree path down to the water, which requires much holding of rocks and careful steps down, the crossing was easy enough with huge rocks strewn all over the place and the climb up the other side just slightly less steep.
Arran 5.6.12 046a.jpg
crossing

Arran 5.6.12 047a.jpg
Beinn Tarsuinn ridge

There was still a bit of a dirt track to follow to the base of the real climb up towards Beinn Nuiss, the jagged corbett top. The walk up here was great as i scrammbled up the huge pumis like boulders and agin on another really good path in between the rocks. There were still a few buckets/hammers and spades lying around, so i think maintenance on the path has been quite recent. There were plenty of great rock formations up here and great views across to Goatfell and back to the coast and holy isle.
Arran 5.6.12 063a.jpg
Beinn Nuiss

Arran 5.6.12 065a.jpg
3 little pigs ?

Arran 5.6.12 066a.jpg
Goatfell

Arran 5.6.12 054.JPG
Coast

I had a wee poke about the rocks before eventually getting to the top where i met a group of walkers who had done the route in the reverse to me and who pointed out various hills around including the paps of jura and possibly even the irish coastline ! with the aid of some wonderful laminated maps. We also watched what we thought was a helicopter rescue operation on Beinn a Chliabhan, which turned out to be just an exercise has it landed and flew away before return half a dozen times or so to the same spot.
Arran 5.6.12 069a.jpg
Beinn Tarsuinn/Goatfell

I then made my way down and around and back up towards the main summit of Tarsuinn, occasionally scrambling over some of the huge boulders which hang around the edge of the ridge.I kept looking out for the Old Man of Tarsuinn and eventually found him.
Arran 5.6.12 084a.jpg
Old man of Tarsuinn

I got to the top and had a good rest and the weather appeared to be changing quickly. It was now overcast and quite chilly.
Arran 5.6.12 093a.jpg
Summit of Beinn Tarsuinn

Arran 5.6.12 098a.jpg
A` Cir/Cir Mhor

i decided to head down quickly and get across Beinn a chliabhan before the rain came in , but it got to me first and i ended up having a wet walk out from there. The route down from Tarsuinn was the trickiest part of the day were you are climbing in and out of pockets between the rocks and what path there is is quite slippy with scree.I turned towards a Chliabhan between two huge towers of rock,, one is called Consolation Tor i think and through the stone arches.
Arran 5.6.12 102.JPG
consolation tor ?

Arran 5.6.12 103a.jpg
arches

As i said the rain came on soon after this and i got into my waterproofs before getting onto my final peak of the day. The top of Beinn a` Chliabhan is strewn with huge boulders which wre now incrediblly slippy and i opted only to slap my hand on what i thought was the highest point for fear of slipping off it.
Arran 5.6.12 115a.jpg
Beinn a chliabhan wet summit pic

From here it was just a case of getting myself back down another clear path to where i started from by the path by the waterfall.
For anyone thinking of going to Arran i would say go there, soon, it`s absolutely magic :D
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:188   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Arran sweater

Postby tomyboy73 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:38 pm

i mean it, go ! :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:02 pm

Cracking report Tommy 8) A stunning wee place is Arran. I've only done Goatfell, but must get back and explore more!! I've always fancied the 3 Beinns walk, it looks like it won't disappoint :thumbup:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby rocket-ron » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:51 pm

cracking report tommy :clap:
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:103
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby jimandandrea » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:49 am

Excellent route. Loved the 3 pigs - well spotted. :clap: :clap:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:19 pm

Nice one Tommy,as for the pink bike,the old saying goes"it takes a man to wear pink".
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby pollyh33 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Wonderful title! :thumbup:
Wonderful narrative! :thumbup:
Wonderful photos! :thumbup:

Loved this report Tommy. Entertaining from start to finish as always. :clap: :clap:

You've put me to shame again by doing a 'famous' walk that I've never heard of- I'm such an ignorant peasant :oops: :oops:

PS As for the burds, they obviously have no taste :lol: :lol: Just think though if you had got together with one of them- she might not have been so understanding about the hills as your lovely wife :wink:

PPS hope you're going to change your mind about the 23rd!!! Although a bit more respect for Gammy's boot will be called for!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby tomyboy73 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:37 pm

thanks guys and gals, it was an unknown walk to me too until i started looking at routes i could get to by train, and combined price of rail and sail was cheaper than getting to say tyndrum or dalmally, until you add in the big breakie on the way out and the pint on the way back :lol: Sorry can`t make the 23rd, got somethin on at night and Leianne`s(my wonderful wife who i didn`t meet on arran) working during the day. Hope you all have a great day, i`ll be heading up the gorms the weekend after for a high camp, woohoo :D
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Del246 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Great stuff Tommy. Love the pics
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland