walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stunning Carn Mor Dearg, CMD Arete and Ben Nevis

Stunning Carn Mor Dearg, CMD Arete and Ben Nevis

by Bod » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:31 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 02/06/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 17.1 km

Ascent: 1502m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Stunning Carn Mor Dearg, CMD Arete and Ben Nevis

Postby mountain thyme » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:40 pm

excellent... its the best way to get to the Ben :D
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:57 pm

Stunning right enough Bod :thumbup: - would agree with MT on this being the best way to approach Ben Nevis. Does look familiar :lol: and wasn't it busy up there ! - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby pigeon » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:30 pm

Brilliant Bod,some great pics :thumbup: If i ever do the CMD again i'll use this route,when we done it it was up the tourist track and then the path from half way lochan to the CIC hut.The climb from here to Carn Mor Dearg is a bit of an ordeal to say the leas up steep grass slopes,no doing that again that's for sure :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby ScottishLeaf » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:41 am

Me and my brother are looking to do The Ben for charity in July, we were thinking of doing this route as something different, from the usual "tourist/charity walk up Ben Nevis."

He's never done a Munro before, but he is fit and has done some Corbetts. I've done 14 Munros in the Southern Highlands, is it do-able for relative newbies? I notice you had two newbies as well... did they manage OK, or would you recommend roping in a more experienced friend?
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby Bod » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:51 am

ScottishLeaf wrote:Me and my brother are looking to do The Ben for charity in July, we were thinking of doing this route as something different, from the usual "tourist/charity walk up Ben Nevis."

He's never done a Munro before, but he is fit and has done some Corbetts. I've done 14 Munros in the Southern Highlands, is it do-able for relative newbies? I notice you had two newbies as well... did they manage OK, or would you recommend roping in a more experienced friend?

Hi ScottishLeaf, always good to rope in an experienced friend. I have been doing that all my life and still do at times, but no reason why you wouldn't be okay on your own. Do it on a good day though and be prepared as you ought to be for any mountain. You say your brother has climbed some Corbetts and you have good few munros which is many more hills than Gary and Carrie (the newbies) have and they managed fine, although I was very much leading the day. Go for it, but take care, good luck :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby PeteR » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:27 am

Always good to see a report of CMD and the arete. Some great photos there too and you had a great day for it (which always helps :D ). Looks like you had a great family trip :D

CMD and the arete still ranks as one of my best days on the hills in the short time I've been doing this hill walking mallarky :D Glen Nevis is also one of my favourite places in Scotland (the world!) too. Many, many memories of holidays in Scotland as a kid with the "old man" :D Such a priviledge to be able to enjoy it more regulalrly now :D

Seeing it on a day like you had just makes we want to get back there again :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Bod » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Absolutely Pete, you do just want to go back and do it all over again :D :D :D
Perhaps in mild winter conditions would be great next time. Thanks everybody for all the great comments and feedback, you can never know too much :D :D :D :wink: :lol:
Bod
Walker

Postby lomondwalkers » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:25 pm

Superb Bod!!!! 8) Hoping to do this route before summer is out, and this has well and truly whetted the appetite!!! Is it just me, or does Tower Ridge look like an Andrex puppy in your photo???? :lol:
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby jonny616 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:50 pm

Your pics of the arete are great. Best i've seen 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby celt12345 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:54 pm

nice one bod,i was up there on the same day,staying at the glen nevis site.it was my mates first hill walk and he loved it.that was my second time on the arete and both times the weather has been amazing.its an awsome place :)
celt12345

Munros:11   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Bod » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:00 pm

lomondwalkers wrote:Superb Bod!!!! 8) Hoping to do this route before summer is out, and this has well and truly whetted the appetite!!! Is it just me, or does Tower Ridge look like an Andrex puppy in your photo???? :lol:

I do see the Andrex puppy in tower ridge :D :D :lol:
Bod
Walker

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:21 pm

Bod wrote:
ScottishLeaf wrote:Me and my brother are looking to do The Ben for charity in July, we were thinking of doing this route as something different, from the usual "tourist/charity walk up Ben Nevis."

Hi ScottishLeaf, always good to rope in an experienced friend. I have been doing that all my life and still do at times, but no reason why you wouldn't be okay on your own. Do it on a good day though and be prepared as you ought to be for any mountain. You say your brother has climbed some Corbetts and you have good few munros which is many more hills than Gary and Carrie (the newbies) have and they managed fine, although I was very much leading the day. Go for it, but take care, good luck :D :D :D

Cool, sounds like good advice. A weekend in July is being booked up!
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby dooterbang » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:08 pm

Superb day out with the family :)

The arete is fantastic, glad you enjoyed it so much...and i agree about a revisit in mild winter conditions.

I actually did the arete but missed the summit of CMD by 10M...a good excuse to do it again.

Was nice meeting you too.

ps - that Mountainstar has a penchant for top shelf mags :wink:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Gary1904 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:53 am

Cheers for directing me to your report, those photos were awesome !! a million times better than what I experienced on Nevis, the route you took looks more like the way I would enjoy rather than that awful tourist path .... That will be the route I take when I tackle Nevis again :)
Gary1904
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   Corbetts:1

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:58 pm

Top drawer Bod! I think I'd be leaving Lucy at home too! I always think it's amazing to see CMD dwarfed by the Ben when you consider that CMD is one of the higher Munros in it's own right! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

20 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland