walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Liathach - The monster is loose!

Liathach - The monster is loose!

by BlackPanther » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:46 pm

Route description: Liathach, Glen Torridon

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 04/06/2012

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 11.2 km

Ascent: 1317m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Liathach - The monster is loose!

Postby Hill-loving lady » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:21 am

OOOOH :shock: :crazy: :clap:

Plans are afoot for this one in the near future, and your report has excited me, terrified me and inspired me all at once!

All I need now are the weather gods to be very kind some weekend soon, and then I too look forward to this amazing walk, even with my intense fear of airiness and exposure.

Oh, and no, Bob the Dog is definitely NOT coming with me on this trip. :(
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby litljortindan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:16 am

Hill-loving lady wrote:OOOOH :shock: :crazy: :clap:

Plans are afoot for this one in the near future, and your report has excited me, terrified me and inspired me all at once!

All I need now are the weather gods to be very kind some weekend soon, and then I too look forward to this amazing walk, even with my intense fear of airiness and exposure.

Oh, and no, Bob the Dog is definitely NOT coming with me on this trip. :(

Video clip from last year:
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Hill-loving lady » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:52 pm

Video clip from last year:

OMG - really not so sure now...that looks well beyond my capabilities!!! :shock:

Your video is fabulous though, and I really wish I was brave enough to do this! Thinking I'll be ascending each Munro separately and leave out the pinnacles. What you reckon Sunny Speyside? And Travis' Mum??? :crazy:
Hill-loving lady
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:17
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:16   

Postby litljortindan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:35 pm

Hill-loving lady wrote:
OMG - really not so sure now...that looks well beyond my capabilities!!! :shock:

Your video is fabulous though, and I really wish I was brave enough to do this! Thinking I'll be ascending each Munro separately and leave out the pinnacles. What you reckon Sunny Speyside? And Travis' Mum??? :crazy:

Please don't be put off! In my opinion there are two points where you might have second thoughts. The first is a narrowing of the ridge that can be by-passed or shuffled over astride (as I do) though I have seen someone braver simply walk across. The other is a chimney that looks steep but that in fact has many good holds and is not so steep as it appears from a distance. I think the pinnacles direct are a lot safer option than the by-pass path. So I would say go in a small group if you can and you will be fine, otherwise just take it slowly and carefully and you won't have a problem.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Ibex » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Congratulations on taming the monster. You can be proud of that walk, as much as many of us will be jelous. :wink:

Those photos really are awesome. The hill ranges around there really are rugged beauty at its very best.
I'm led in bed, a bit ill after struggling through work, but your report makes me want to immediately pack my bags and drive off to some mountains.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Josecuni » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks a lot for your report, BP, it was very exciting to read it and you have given a lot of information (and views!!!!) for us to do our beloved Liathach. I hope, I can do it within the next year.

P.S. I agree with other users, next time you should try the pinnacles!!
Josecuni
Mountain Walker

Munros:103   Corbetts:26
Fionas:10   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:3

Postby IndieBrindie » Wed May 11, 2016 11:35 am

I'm still not sure whether to tackle the ridge or take the by-pass route. Thanks for including some useful photos of each. Need to decide soon!!
IndieBrindie
Hill Bagger

Postby bigkeith » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:00 pm

Great post. Looks inspirational and scary in equal measures :shock: :shock: . Respect :clap: :clap: Fabulous and really helpful pics. What a beautiful and powerful place. Vote of support for Kevin!
bigkeith
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:17

Postby ForestFairy » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:20 am

Thanks for posting this report. The bypass paths look just as terrifying as the scrambling route, and actually may be worse for me as there's nothing to hold on to! Well done.
ForestFairy

Munros:114   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:8   

44 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland