walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cromarty cliffs

Cromarty cliffs

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:00 pm

Route description: Cromarty explorer

Date walked: 05/06/2012

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 4.5 km

Ascent: 133m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This TR should be called "The day after Liathach" :lol: . Weather wasn't as great over mountain tops, but the eastern sky looked reasonable so we popped in to Cromarty, just for a short leg stretcher..
It's one of my favourite short walks and though it doesn't involve climbing any hills, it's still a lovely stroll, taking you to a great viewpoint on the top of the cliffs. We always park on the seaside car park and take the road and then the path east along the coast.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The entrance to Cromarty Firth:
The bay is usually very busy. I like coming to Cromarty to play "boatspotting". This time I spotted one, too:
Across the bay, in Nigg shipyard, some strange activity is taking place...
Close-up:
Galaxy?... Is our government planning a secret mission to Mars??? :lol: :lol:
It was a breezy afternoon, but the village looked as quiet and peaceful as it always does:
On the path below the cliffs:
The path climbs the steep banks of the bay through some nice, deciduous woodland and on higher levels there are even a few benches for tired walkers to sit and enjoy the views. We stopped at one of these spots and enjoyed the panorama:
I was always fascinated by a group of caves situated low on the cliffs on North Sutor side. I guess the only way to reach them would be by boat. From "our" side of the cliffs we could only photograph them with maximum zoom:

A few white patches on the rocks suggest bird colonies:
... and another intriguing addition to the landscape are the ruins of World War II lookouts.
They were probably accessible only by ladders (like some tin mines on the cliffs in Cornwall) or from the water. I absolutely love lurking and exploring ruins and old buildings, wish I could get there to have a look inside these structures...
Exploring the cliffs can be just as interesting though:
2:0 to me for boatspotting:
The path continues up the cliffs and eventually it emerges from the woods to join a tarmac road. There is a car park here as well (for those who don't enjoy climbing :wink: ) and the road offers a nice return route to the village. But first, we took a short detour to the viewpoint.
Cromarty from above:
Looking towards the sea:
Invergordon and oil rigs moored in the port:

A lovely, short walk for anybody to enjoy :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Cromarty cliffs

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:51 pm

I sure do miss the coast....better take a ride out to Vancouver soon to get my fix. Lovely little 'day after' warm down BP, best get yourself a kayak and get over there into those caves and buildings :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland