walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

5th Munro - Ben Narnain

5th Munro - Ben Narnain

Postby DJG78 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:00 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 21/10/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was probaby the most dramatic and challenging Munro i have climbed todate. May not have been if i had understood the start directions better. I ended up following the sat nav to Succoth forestry commision car park roughly a mile along from The Argyll forestry pay and display car park suggested. Misunderstood the map and ended up scrambling through steep woodland for an hour. Ended up well off the beaten track. Took 30mins of bog wading to find it. Was ready to give up at this point as the mountain was shrouded in thick cloud and i was tired and wet from the bogs! It is really boggy! Told myself to soldier on through as i'd come this far although i had no intention of making the peak. However the fog kept cheekily retreating back luring me up the gullys (which were great fun as i have not climbed many) This perked me up so i decided to go for it. Made the trig in 2.5hrs. Scary though as normally i would always turn back when blocked by cloud. My compass skills are non existent! The map printed from this site led me to the west north west path heading to Beinn Ime. Time was getting on though so i decided to abandon that peak and head down the pleasent easy decent path home. (or technically a mile from the car). Chuffed i persevered with the bogs, gullys and cloud. it made a very exciting Hike! Aslo the rock formations near the cobbler on the Beinn Ime route home were awesome!
Last edited by DJG78 on Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJG78
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Re: 5th Munroe - Ben Narnain

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:24 am

Hi Dan. You aren't the first person to miss the route up Narnain - the start is a bit overgrown and its easy to go wrong. I'm confused by which car park you were at though! Well done on making the summit.

Have you had a look at the Skills and Safety section? If you read through the first four of the navigator's dozen skills you might start to get an idea on the use of a compass - which is essential to pick up really. Then have a go at making sense of it on a decent day.

Many of the guides listed on site also offer in depth navigation courses which are well worth it, but the MCofS offers cheap (£25) short navigation courses which are another good option - but they are done for this year as it will be winter skills soon :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: 5th Munroe - Ben Narnain

Postby Graeme D » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:00 pm

I've gotten a bit lost and confused at the start of walks/climbs before too and there is nothing more dispiriting - especially when the weather is crap too! Makes it all the sweeter when you finally pull through though.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland