walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie from Glen Turret

Ben Chonzie from Glen Turret

Postby findhornloon » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:08 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 10/06/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 16.4 km

Ascent: 798m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Despite visibility down to about 50m all day and very wet underfoot after a night of heavy rain, I found this an excellent circuit walk, especially the return leg along the ridge.
I headed out anti-clockwise along the east side of the Loch Turret Reservoir to Ben Chonzie (931m) and returned along the western ridge via Meall na Seide (753m) and Carn Chois (786m) - route map at end. 5.5 hours walking, 7 hours in total including tea, lunch, photos and playing with my GPS and maps. Fortunately there is a good fenceline to follow from the summit (though a bit dilapidated), it was however very useful to have my GPS with the route pre-loaded on it from a WH blog to check on the 1:25,000 OS map where I was when I headed off the fenceline after Carn Chois. I would be happy to go back again and walk the circuit clockwise, preferrably on a clear sunny day when the ben is visible !!
100_8711a.jpg
360° panorama from the summit of Ben Chonzie.

Not all mist, there are some pics with a bit of the landscape in them !!
100_8696.JPG
Ben Chonzie is up there somewhere, best view of it I had all day !!

100_8700.JPG
The View back from below Lochan Uaine.

100_8701.JPG
Lots of debris from Ice Age glaciers below Lochan Uaine - probably drumlins.

100_8704.JPG
Lochan Uaine (Green Loch), actually looks green, probably caused by algae.

100_8706.JPG
The final short scramble up a boulderfield to the start of the summit ridge.

100_8709.JPG
Finally out of the mist appears the summit shelter.

100_8712.JPG
Thank goodness for the old fenceline on the descent to Carn Chois.

100_8714.JPG
A misty self-portrait, just remembered my camera has a timer setting !!

100_8715.JPG
At last after a short scramble, through the mist appears the trig pillar on Carn Chois.

100_8716.JPG
Not much to see beyond the trig pillar.

100_8717.JPG
Amazing difference dropping down 250m can make - out of the mist appears the reservoir.

100_8728.JPG
Louds cheers from behind as a group from Morrison's Academy, Crieff also spot the water.

100_8723.JPG
Still no sign of Ben Chonzie as I look back.

100_8729.JPG
Nearly stood on this Oyster Catcher's nest with a clutch of eggs.

End of walk 5.5 hours walking, 7 hours in total including tea, lunch, photos and playing with my GPS and maps.

ChonzieMIke.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by findhornloon on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 14 times in total.
findhornloon
Hill Bagger

Munros:29   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Ben Chonzie from Glen Turret

Postby houdi » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:15 pm

Love the pic, findornloon! I got stick on here last year for saying Ben Chonzie was boring, but I guess you didn't get to find out. Actually, I did the exact same circuit as you on a beautiful sunny day and I really enjoyed it. Not much character to Chonzie but the walk itself is excellent and very scenic. The return leg over those lesser tops is excellent. One thing which puzzles me - how did you navigate this in that sort of visibility? Even with the fence posts I'm positive I'd get lost.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Grahams:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Re: Ben Chonzie from Glen Turret

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Glen Turret, home of the Famous Grouse visitor centre..... that doesn't actually make Famous Grouse!! :lol:
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland