walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dunrig Horseshoe from Peebles

Dunrig Horseshoe from Peebles

Postby clivew » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:15 pm

Route description: Dun Rig Horseshoe, Peebles

Fionas included on this walk: Dun Rig

Donalds included on this walk: Dun Rig

Date walked: 09/06/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 943m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have spent the last few Saturdays travelling up to Bridge of Orchy and Glen Coe but this weekend I thought I would play safe and travel a different route. The reason was I knew from newspaper reports there were a lot of big events going on; they were spread out but the Olympic Torch relay was heading up the A82, Rock Ness was kicking off at Lochness, the World Mountain Bike Championships at Nevis Range and Ladies International Golf at Nairn so for a change I decided to head south into the Borders.
Back earlier in the year I had attempted the Dunrig Horseshoe walk from Peebles but it was one of those weekends when we were hit by 80mph winds and the walk was abandoned after a couple of hours. This weekend the weather was a lot kinder, showery but warm and little or no wind.
This is an ideal walk if you are holidaying in Peebles, the good thing about it is that if the weather turns bad you can leave the horseshoe at any point along its length and drop down into Glensax and walk back out to Peebles.
The walk starts on the southern outskirts of Peebles at the end of Glen Road, its easily walkable from the town centre if you are travelling in by bus, if you are driving there is plenty of parking space at the end of Glen Road near the Sub-Station.
From here follow the track straight ahead through the woods and then drop down and over the footbridge crossing the stream. Once over the stream follow the footpath as it gradually climbs up through the woods eventually coming out into open land with a great view back to Peebles and up into Glensax.
P1000438.JPG
The start of the walk at Glen Road

P1000439.JPG
The bridge across the burn

P1000440.JPG
The route through the woods into open land

P1000441.JPG
Looking across to Cadesmuir

P1000442.JPG
Glensax and Newby Kips Hill in the centre

Once you hit open land the route is very easy to follow just keeping heading up hill you can't go wrong. The start of the track is pretty good and fairly firm under foot but as you get further around the ridge it gets a bit boggy. Certainly between Stake Law and the trig point at Dun Rig and from here to the bottom of the path leading up to Middle Hill it was like the Somme without the bullets; you have to choose your route with care or you could easily sink up to your knees in the brown stuff :lol: :lol: .
P1000443.JPG
The view back into town and the Peebles Hydro

P1000444.JPG
The route towards Birkscairn Hill

When you reach the trig point at Dun Law don't be tempted to head straight for middle hill, instead follow the fence line around and eventually it leads to a bit of bealach with the path heading straight up in front of you.

P1000447.JPG
The trig point at Dun Rig

P1000448.JPG
The path leading up to Middle Hill

P1000455.JPG
Looking back to Preston Law from Newby Kips

From Middle Hill follow the path around to the trig point on Hundleshope; from here there are three options, option 1 is to follow the route to the NE along Dead Side and down into the Glen. Option 2 is to head down into the Glen and follow the Waddenshope Burn back to Glensax and option 3 is to head for Preston Law and then on to Newby Kips Hill which is a nice little hill with a rocky outcrop on the top.
This is the route I chose and from the top of Newby Kips Hill I headed straight down the hill across the burn and followed the track to Upper Newby farm.
From the farm its an easy track to follow back to the start point.

P1000456.JPG
Dead side from Newby Kips

P1000458.JPG
The route from Newby Farm back to the start point

P1000459.JPG
Crowd scene near the end of the walk

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Dunrig Horseshoe from Peebles

Postby Bod » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:46 pm

Looks like a lovely walk Clive. Like your thinking too with the uncertainty of roads and weather this weekend. There is one of those amazing dry-stone build circles down below in one of your photos .... my eye is always drawn to those old penned areas and I find myself wondering just how how often our farmers/shepherds used them long ago? Very enjoyable report :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:57 pm

It's a lovely walk this one and a nice wee change to head south to the rolling hills of the Borders :)
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby clivew » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Bod wrote:Looks like a lovely walk Clive. Like your thinking too with the uncertainty of roads and weather this weekend. There is one of those amazing dry-stone build circles down below in one of your photos .... my eye is always drawn to those old penned areas and I find myself wondering just how how often our farmers/shepherds used them long ago? Very enjoyable report :D :D :D

Hi Bod, yes the circle is just down below Newby Kips, it's a fair size as well and stands out really well from above. On one part of the walk some enterprising person has been re-building sections of dry stone wall, it looks really good and will probably stand for ever.
clivew
Mountain Walker

Postby clivew » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:23 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:It's a lovely walk this one and a nice wee change to head south to the rolling hills of the Borders :)

Hi Johnny yes you're right its a nice change and the scenery is great, the best part is it's only about 45 minutes from Edinburgh so I can have a bit of a lay in on Saturday instead of getting up before 6 to drive north. :) :)
clivew
Mountain Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland