walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Into double figures with poor visibility, broken boots!

Into double figures with poor visibility, broken boots!

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 10/06/2012

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1110m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Spent the night in Glen Etive with my faithful Marley the dug, oh and about 2 billion midges! Up sharp and headed for the car park on the main road, A82 opposite Buachaille Etive Mor.
DSC00899.JPG
She is somewhere in the cloud
The weather was not the best as you can see, but still it was worth a crack. Left the truck at 0740 and had a good walk up to the ridge, apart from losing the dug in the mist / fog for a while that is. It was quite a good test for the navigating skills as visibility was about 5 meter on the ridge. Still you have just got to trust the compass at these times and go for it.
WP_000660.jpg
Summit 1, number 10 for me, wahey!
Into double figures and very chuffed with myself given the conditions. :D Now fully clad in the waterproofs I headed for summit number 2 of the day, Stob na Broige. This took about 45 mins to 1 hour due to the conditions, but I had a brief break with the mist and got a view of the mighty Buachaille, very nice but unfortunately by the time I got the camera out of the waterproof bag, the mist was back in…..doh!
DSC00903.JPG
The clagg moved out.......briefly!
At this point the HEAVY rain started, it was head down and push on time, made it to summit 2, munro number 11. Had a quick bite for lunch and then decide to head down. Followed my tracks back along the ridge and walked out as I got in, through Coire na Tulaich.
DSC00906.JPG
Its this way, i think!
Once we dropped below the mist, prod about 200m from the ridge the weather improved, however I did meet an American couple heading up and stopped to talk to them. They were dressed in jeans, light water proofs and light walking boots, oh and she had an umbrella. The conversation went like this….Hi there, have you had a good climb, yes sir it was great, very wet and demanding on navigation. They then asked me if I thought they should continue, I replied it’s up to you but I pay my taxes which in turn pay for the emergency services so basically….NO! Be sensible and head down…very surprisingly they did and thanked me for my advice!
DSC00908.JPG
Are you sure?
All in all, it was terrible weather, but a very worthwhile walk. It has helped me gain some more confidence for what lies ahead in this growingly addictive new hobby / journey to complete the Munros.
WP_000662.jpg
One mountain too many, 10 year old though!
New boots reuired! Any suggestions? :crazy:
Last edited by davedanson28 on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Into double figures with poor visibility, broken boots!

Postby ChrisA » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:47 pm

I was up there on Saturday 09/06/2012 amazing the difference in conditions.

Shame about the boots
Attachments
P1000070.JPG
P1000069.JPG
ChrisA
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:18
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Bod » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:51 pm

A good new pair of boots will get you to triple figures :D :D :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby davedanson28 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:53 pm

Looks like you got to see abit more than me Chris, thanks for the pics! :D

Bob, I sure hope so, planning on trying to do a good few in the winter this year! :shock:
davedanson28
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Postby skuk007 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:56 pm

Real shame about the weather Dave, great views to be had on this one, it's just not fair when the clag teases you that. Well done on the double figure landmark. :-)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland