walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Slioch, and the wrong socks

Slioch, and the wrong socks

Postby BobMcBob » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:32 pm

Route description: Slioch, near Kinlochewe

Munros included on this walk: Slioch

Date walked: 09/06/2012

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1142m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I don't have many photos for this one, for one thing because I'm on a very slow mobile connection and don't have the next 3 days to upload them all :D.
I opted to start the walk up Slioch from the campsite in Kinlochewe because it's only a couple of kilometers from there to the usual start point at Incheril, and what's a couple of kilometers? (answer: a 4km round trip, you idiot).
It's a long walk in from Incheril, but an easy one. The path passes through some very nice deciduous woodlands with some trees that look like they've been there a long time and leads you to the eastern end of Loch Maree, from where you get your first good view of Slioch.
DSC_9267.jpg
Nice easy path

After crossing a bridge over Abhhainn an Ehasaigh the path turns off to the right and starts to head uphill. Shortly after this the path forks. The right-hand forks follows the river upstream and is the obvious path, but also the wrong one, as I found out. The (correct) left-hand fork is hard to spot but heads off towards Sgurr Dubh. If you find yourself in the river gorge, you're on the wrong path :) The correct path then climbs slowly up over a few rocks following a burn.
What happened next was that it rained. Not hard, but that kind of rain where the cloud comes right down and it just spits at you and you can't really see where you're going. What I did was to fire up ViewRanger on my phone and follow an arrow. Technology eh? In the future we'll look back on the days when we used to look at our surroundings while we walked and think "Wow, that was hard". But anyway, as I don't have anything to say about the next section and no photos, I'm going to tell you a story about my socks.
I'd recently purchased some new walking socks. The lady in the shop told me they were pure Merino Wool. "Bit warm, probably?" I said. "Oh no," she replied, "these are Smart Wool. They work with your body, keeping you cool when you're hot and warm when you're cold". Sounds good I thought, and they are very comfy. So it was at this point in my walk when I realised that although it was a dank day and raining, I was extremely hot. The top of my head was a fountain and there seemed to be a thermonuclear reaction going on in my boots. I stopped to rest. After about 5 minutes I realised I was actually still getting hotter, so I took off my boots and socks. The socks were, literally, saturated in sweat. I was able to wring them out they were so wet. One minute later I was actually cold. So much for "smart wool". I did the rest of the walk with no socks on, a decision my toes didn't like very much but the rest of me was much more comfortable. So if anyone tries to sell you "smart wool" socks, poke them in the eye with a pointed stick.
The arrow led me up a slope to the banks of what was probably a pretty little lochan, if I'd been able to see all of it, and then up another slope to the first top of Slioch at 980m, where I knew I'd got there because a cairn appeared out of the mist. I took a little detour off the path to scramble up some rocks on the way.
Continuing on, down a slope and across a grassy section, then up to the main top at 981m. And the cloud even did its best to clear for me, offering up a couple of views.
Beinn Eighe through the clouds
DSC_9316.jpg
Fisherfield peaks

The walk continues along a ridge, which I could now see, towards the top of Sgurr an Tuill Bhain. A pleasant, easy walk and there was a nice view backwards of the route I'd come up round the rim of Coire na Sleaghaich, which was boiling with cloud like a volcano.
DSC_9329.jpg
She's gonna blow!

From the top of Sgurr an Tuill Bhain, I couldn't make out any obvious path down, although ViewRanger told me there was one. But the destination was obvious - the bealach at the foot of Sgurr Dubh that I'd come over on the way up. So I took a pretty direct route which was steep and very slippery. The walk back from there follows the route up, which seems much longer on the way back, especially the extra 2km down the road that I'd added on :D
A long day, but on a nice day the views would have been spectacular. An Teallach was visible for a few moments, looking dark and menacing, and enticing me over. But that one will have to wait for a better day :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Re: Slioch, and the wrong socks

Postby jimandandrea » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:28 pm

Loved the moody pictures and the sock story.
I am sure there must be a way of harnessing the (thermonuclear) energy generated from your socks that could power/charge your phone. That would be Smart.
Alternatively - Just take em back!!
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby skuk007 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Nice one Bob, glad you took the normal route up this one (see Mountain Love's route :shock: ).

I wear these socks whenever I can but don't know if they're the 'smart' sort - never had a problem to date but I guess I don't walk fast enough to generate that much heat. :lol:

I'll try and remember this one when I come to do this so I don't head up the wrong path, ta.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby soulminer » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:07 pm

I preferred the walk in from Incheril, the view across the graveyard to Beinn Eighe is 'to die for' :lol:
It certainly is a classic walk,loved every minute of it. There is a path off SaTB,followed it for a bit but it becomes somewhat sketchy, you did the same as me- eyeball the bealach and head for it :lol:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby BobMcBob » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:45 pm

skuk007 wrote:I wear these socks whenever I can but don't know if they're the 'smart' sort - never had a problem to date but I guess I don't walk fast enough to generate that much heat. :lol:

Mine have 'Smart Wool' woven into the fabric, so it's not hard to spot :D To be fair I don't have to walk very fast to generate a lot of heat :D and it was quite humid on the way up that day. Those socks have kept my feet toasty warm on freezing nights in the campervan so they weren't a complete waste of money, but I won't be wearing them for a walk again unless I decide to go to the south pole in flipflops :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland