walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The scrambling route up Canisp (3/6)

The scrambling route up Canisp (3/6)

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:04 pm

Route description: Canisp

Corbetts included on this walk: Canisp

Date walked: 29/05/2012

Time taken: 4.15 hours

Distance: 10.2 km

Ascent: 772m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

During my first evening at the Alchmelvic beach campsite I met 2 other hill walkers and over a few beers we shared hillwalking stories and hearing a cuckoo in the distance wondering what a male cuckoo is saying to a female cuckoo after they met…. Male‘Cuckoo’, Female: ‘Cuckooo’,….. Male‘Cuckoo’ Female: ‘Cuckooo’ not a lot of vocabulary in my opinion… :lol: :lol: :lol:

When they told me that they wanted to climb up Ben More Assynt in 2 days I told them to use the route up I found by mistake while getting lost . It would give them a bit of a variety and a nice round. With no real plan for the upcoming day I asked for advice and when Canisp was mentioned I thought it would be a nice Corbet to do on my rest day. But I was not 100% sure, so I decided to plan in the morning and retired to my tent.

I slept until I was woken up by a rather loud Baaaa right outside my tent. Being completely startled I opened the tent door and was face to face with a sheep….Good morning to Ewe!
And good morning to a campsite which was a working croft and had sheep walking around everywhere lol.
DSC01107.JPG
Campsite at Alchmelvich

Looking at my watch I realized it was nearly 9am (I want a baaing sheep as an alarm clock now!!!) and slowly I started to get ready. Taking it easy I took my time and had planned a drive into Lochinver to refill my food stock. Thinking about my day I decided to take advice from last nights conversations and climb Conival.
The only problem was that I had no walk description, but after the previous day climbing I thought I don’t need any! Looking at the map I could see the route which was probably suggested, but as I fancied a wee scramble I decided to walk in from the first parking area after driving south from Inchnadampf…about 2km down the road.
It was a sunny day and with a fresh stock of food in the car I arrived refreshed at the wee car park (more a lay by) A sign told another tale about the mountains up there and I learned that the mountain I was due to climb was in the middle of a glacier many many moons ago.

Getting ready I climbed over the wee fence and there is a lovely river to cross (in summer no problem at all). Hoping over the stones I managed to stay dry and started walking towards the 2 small hilltops – aiming for the middle I continued up hill.

Walking along listening to my ipod I did not pay that much attention to the seeming less ‘dry’ ground until I managed to sink in ankle deep bog. I am not talking about ‘normal’ bog I am talking about bog I never experienced before…it’s the second generation of bog I know…treacherous… sneaky….willing to swallow boots without any warning ….while looking innocent and sweet…just like a field of dry moss. Annoyed I moved on and the same happened another 2 more times, but after the first half an hour you have some amazing new knowledge about second generations of bog fields!

With the new knowledge I plodded on and soon saw a burn flowing down the hill in the not to far distance. From the map I knew it would lead up to the mountain and as it was lovely and pretty I aimed for it. The stone slabs were mainly dry and in sections formed as great big climbing steps, I walked up the steps which required a wee bit of a scramble at times…fun!

From the top of the first hill I saw Conival in front of me. Not spectacular like other mountains, but I was here to find an exciting route up. From looking at the map I had decided to follow up a wide gully towards the left hand site but seeing the mountain in front of me I looked for some alternative routes.
Liking ‘straight up the mountain’ routes, I discovered a route, which I decided to follow up and moved on. The walk levelled out to a wide open plateau and wee lochs scatter the landscape – beautiful!
When I reached the bottom of the mountain I saw 2 other walkers in the distance who were about half way up. Looking up towards them I realized they stopped and looked in my direction. Not sure if they have seen me but if they did they might have been a bit confused, as I was no where close to a path.

The scramble up was easier than I thought and it was then when I saw a Ptarmigan…awww so cute! Moving on I saw a couple more and stopped to take photos.
Carrying on I moved straight up and was happy that there was no loose scree. I arrived at the top of the hill 2h after setting of from the car and had a break at one of the 2 rounded resting areas, which give great protection from the wind. Finishing my lunch I started feeling the cold and decided to move down the mountain towards the south along the ‘normal’ route I guessed, but after the first bit I aimed towards the gully to get back to the route I followed up.
Bizarrely the 2 people I saw on my approach had disappeared and I kept on wondering if I had starting seeing things…. It remembered me about a story I have once read about a mountaineer who had been walking solo in a great wilderness area high in the mountains when he suddenly saw people walking with him, which equally quick seemed to disappear after a few hours….I guess it was time to head back for a well earned pint and a meal in Lochinver.

DSC01111.JPG
Looking back towards the road

DSC01127.JPG
The gully route up

DSC01128.JPG
Looking down the gully

DSC01131.JPG
My mascot

DSC01133.JPG
Looking towards Inchnadampf

DSC01134.JPG
Suilven

DSC01136.JPG

DSC01149.JPG
Ptarmagan
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: The scrambling route up Canisp (3/6)

Postby dooterbang » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:35 pm

Achmelvic beach is top notch :)

I was up that way for 4 days, probably just as you left :crazy:

Heres a link to some photos i took, as i may not do a TR, which include Achmelvich Beach...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.436730366347218.97159.100000307757280&type=1&l=7a03df8cf6

Sorry to hear the Gully was easy for you :lol: ....you gotta pick tougher routes ML 8)

Looking forward to hearing about your last 3 days.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:07 pm

Stunning photos!! Remind me about my own :D weather wise it was amazing that week!
Regarding tougher routes...just posted one about Slioch...The mad way up...lets say that was pushing it even for my liking :lol: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby jimandandrea » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:51 pm

dooterbang wrote:Achmelvic beach is top notch :)

I was up that way for 4 days, probably just as you left :crazy:

Heres a link to some photos i took, as i may not do a TR, which include Achmelvich Beach...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.436730366347218.97159.100000307757280&type=1&l=7a03df8cf6

Sorry to hear the Gully was easy for you :lol: ....you gotta pick tougher routes ML 8)

Looking forward to hearing about your last 3 days.

Jings tae crivens - those photos are STUNNING. You lucky lucky man- esp No 15. That could have been New Zealand!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby jimandandrea » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:55 pm

Great report. Stunning campsite.
How did you know the dialogue betwixt the cockoo's was male and a female?
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:58 am

jimandandrea wrote:Great report. Stunning campsite.
How did you know the dialogue betwixt the cockoo's was male and a female?

The male one was sitting on a can of lager :lol: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby Graeme D » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:33 am

Mountainlove wrote:when Canisp was mentioned I thought it would be a nice Corbet to do on my rest day.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland