walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glorious panoramas on the Storr

Glorious panoramas on the Storr

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:45 pm

Route description: The Storr - ascent

Grahams included on this walk: The Storr

Date walked: 04/06/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 639m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following our Cuillin caper the previous day we decided something a little gentler was in order. Unfortunately Grace with her sore toe and Hughie with sore paws decided to take it easy accompanying Grandma only a far as the Old Man and his cohorts. Nicola and myself however had decided to push our tired limbs to the top of the highest point of the Trotternish ridge.

The steepish path up to the Old Man was far more open than out last visit six years ago with deforestation work (with a view to re-establishing native species) being well under way.

IMG_9571.jpg
Pinnacles below the Storr cliffs

IMG_9575.jpg
The Old Man

We resisted the temptation to gawp for to long at the amazing formations and pushed on to the break in the cliffs to the North. The ascent is gentler once you get past the Old Man as the route makes a gradual climb up onto the ridge. The going under foot was also excellent and unbelievably dry. The views that opened up as height was gained were outstanding with astonishing visibility especially to the north with Suilven, Quinag and Fionaven clearly discernable.

IMG_9579.jpg
View along the Trotternish Ridge

IMG_9581.jpg
Hartaval backed by the Outer Hebrides

IMG_9582.jpg
Approaching the summit

The pleasant grassy top of The Storr is in stark contrast to its intimidating Western face. It makes a fine picnic spot and an even better viewpoint. From the whole of the North West Highlands spread out to the East, the Cuillin to the South and the entire chain of the Outer Hebrides to the West the panorama on offer is absolutely jaw dropping.

IMG_9583.jpg
South from he summit

IMG_9586.jpg
Long way down

NPStorr.jpg
Panorama to the North

Following creeping to the edge to carefully take in the vertigo inducing views down to the Sanctuary we set off on the rapid grassy decent to Belach Beag.

The descent down the gully is steep but straightforward before what would probably normally be a bog trot back to the road. Today however it was bone dry as we finished off the walk by bouncing on springy turf rather than squelching through bog.

IMG_9611.jpg
Alpine flowers in the descent gully

IMG_9613.jpg
Looking back up the gully

IMG_9614.jpg
View south from the bottom of the gully

IMG_9620.jpg
Looking back up at the Storr

The Storr is a fine wee hill and well worth a few hours of anybodies time. In fact Grace was quite jealous once she’d seen the photos.
johnkaysleftleg
Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:10
Grahams:10   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:166
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Glorious panoramas on the Storr

Postby jimandandrea » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:04 pm

Great pics of Storr. You had such a clear day. We did it when we were up a couple of weeks ago. I had not realised it went to far behind the old man. What a view from the top - though not as good as yours. :clap: :clap:
jimandandrea
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:59 am

Another great report John :D Those photos and views are just fantastic :clap:
Jeff and I were lucky to get clear views like that last October :D
Looking forward to the next report :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Grahams:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:34 pm

wow- beautiful JK, reminds me of the day Sarah and I hiked up there, almost identical conditions, I took photos from almost the same locations too :shock: great memories, cheers :D
ChrisW
Scrambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby L-Hiking » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Great pics and report JK, what a great day you had. Memories of last september when I had similar conditions

Cheers :D
L-Hiking
Walker

Munros:60   Corbetts:7
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Ranger » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:17 am

Thanks for posting, saw these hills in Promeathus a few days ago! :lol:

Definitely on my to-do list these hills :D
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:70
Grahams:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:15 pm

jimandandrea wrote:Great pics of Storr. You had such a clear day. We did it when we were up a couple of weeks ago. I had not realised it went to far behind the old man. What a view from the top - though not as good as yours. :clap: :clap:

SusieThePensioner wrote:Another great report John :D Those photos and views are just fantastic :clap:
Jeff and I were lucky to get clear views like that last October :D
Looking forward to the next report :lol:

Thanks for your kind comments. We did have fairly poor weeks in our last two visits so we were due a bit of sunshine! :D

ChrisW wrote:wow- beautiful JK, reminds me of the day Sarah and I hiked up there, almost identical conditions, I took photos from almost the same locations too :shock: great memories, cheers :D

For all the attention the Cuillin quite rightly receives the Trotternish Ridge is a fantastic place, quite unique.
L-Hiking wrote:Great pics and report JK, what a great day you had. Memories of last september when I had similar conditions

Cheers :D

Thanks LH

Ranger wrote:Thanks for posting, saw these hills in Promeathus a few days ago! :lol:

Definitely on my to-do list these hills :D

If you have the time Hartaval almost begs you to climb it on the way up. I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy the day. :thumbup:
johnkaysleftleg
Walker

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:49 pm

Great pics. I do love wandering around in the Trotternish area - not made it to the Storr yet though - must get there soon!
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:8

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:59 pm

HighlandSC wrote:Great pics. I do love wandering around in the Trotternish area - not made it to the Storr yet though - must get there soon!

It was the Trotternish that first caused me to fall in love with Skye.

The Cuillin hiding for the entire visit may have had something to do with this however. ;-)
johnkaysleftleg
Walker

Postby RicKamila » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:15 pm

Oh, my favourite place on Skye. Lovely photos. Makes me realise how much I miss Skye... (alas, it's only a 4-5 hour drive away!!)
RicKamila
Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:16   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland