walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meikle Bin - Fail

Meikle Bin - Fail

Postby BoyVertiginous » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:15 pm

Route description: Meikle Bin, Carron Valley

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meikle Bin

Date walked: 06/05/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 261m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With the wives away for a May-day weekend to warmer climes, met up on the Sunday with two mates and our kids (and one dog) in Carron Valley and headed for the Meikle Bin, a sub-2000 I’d last done in primary school.

The forecast was for the area was dry and, as soon as we pulled up, a hail shower hit and lasted 30 minutes so, we sat it out in the car. Shower over, we made good progress around the top-end of the dam and along the well-made track towards Meikle Bin, the kids were wearying about 150m from the summit, though you can’t see it for the trees at that point, so we stopped for a snack. The small clearing offered great views down across the reservoir and beyond.

Refreshed, we ventured forth once again and the track disappeared at a small gully (we’d just walked past the point at which we should have made our way through the trees towards the summit - it's marked clearly on the map), the kids were mucking about at the “canyon” for a while and basically tired themselves out jumping across it, daring each other to do so and rummaging around in the bottom of it. We opted therefore not to hit the summit this time.

The boys doing boy stuff...

The girls doing...well...girl stuff

The descent was at a relaxed pace as well, allowing the kids to continue to explore and play on the hill, we were out there for over 4 hours in the end. I foolishly caved-in and carried the youngest some of the way on my shoulders, the others protested and I ended up carrying them all, one-at-a-time, for a stretch (ages 6-13) :crazy:

Back at the cars, we left the lay-by and headed down the reservoir, there was a Merc driving a bit erratically in front of us. I was trying to pass then realised it was because they were watching an osprey hovering over the water by the roadside shore about 20 feet away. Just as we realised this, it dropped out of the sky and into the water, re-emerging a few seconds later with a fish and flying off across the water in the direction of the opposite bank...all too fast for a pic sadly. I’ve seen this only three times previously, twice on Loch Earn and once on Lower Glendevon reservoir, it’s a sight you could never tire of (unless perhaps you own a fishery!). Wasn’t aware they were resident up there, no reason why they wouldn’t be of course with such a plentiful food source so close at hand (or claw).

It may have been a fail but, it was a good day out all in all and had remained dry throughout after that early hail shower...until we returned to the cars and down came the rain. You see, had we gone on to the summit we would also have got a soaking. :?
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:218   Corbetts:68
Grahams:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:42   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:19   Islands:18

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland