walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First fail 2012....Man flu!!!! Grrrrrrrrrr

First fail 2012....Man flu!!!! Grrrrrrrrrr

Postby mr_ash_37 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Date walked: 14/06/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had been watching the weather closely past five days and a beautiful wee pocket was planned for today, so Clellan and I had our targets set on Ben Vorlich and Stuc a Chroin.

All prepared and raring to go last. Other and completed all my usual checks and gear ready to grab.

Up early this morning at 0630 planning to leave 0730, however I woke this morning having felt like I had completed 1 round with Mike Tyson, all my joints ached and I was freezing....the dreaded man flu had caught me :-(

I went walk to local Tesco to buy the usual treats for the journey and to test the water on how I actually felt....bad news I had to call off to Clellan, something I've never done before and hope never to do soon again. I was gutted as I was as usual soooooo excited about a day in the mountains as this is my new passion now - even overtaken my passion of golf.

Bed all day

Here's my beautiful view for the day (ha ha)....

Anyway will hit the hills again soon, thought this would make a wee different light hearted report from my bed :-))

Catch you soon.
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

Re: First fail 2012....Man flu!!!! Grrrrrrrrrr

Postby mrssanta » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:07 pm

Gutted for you. Hope you are soon better
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby neilmci » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:02 pm

I know how you feel. I was down with the cold last week and thought a wee walk up Meall Ghaordie would help to clear it. instead it nearly killed me.

I know my hill fitness has dropped off, but the combination of the cold (and maybe some medication) making me feel lethrgic and the constant drip on the end of my nose made for a long slog.

I also got back to the car with sun burn meaning my scalp is currently in the process of shedding!.

Going out when less than 90% fit was not fun.

Nearly as bad as doing the Ring of Steall with the worlds worst hang over..... but that a different story.
neilmci
Mountain Walker

Postby ScottishLeaf » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:46 pm

I had a bit of a sniffle going up Stuc a'Chroin from Beinn Each and trust me, it was a killer. Also got burnt to a crisp that day on the long walk out down Glen Ample.
Right choice made me thinks. Health first always.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby brpro26 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:30 am

Spending all that time in bed with flu...sounds like you just need to get a grip and give yourself a good shake!
:wink: :wink: :wink:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby mr_ash_37 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:09 am

The great British summer, ye cannae beat it!!

mrssanta - thanks

neilmci - spot on, if not feeling fit then not worth it. Initially I was with you thought it would do me the world of good but struggling to walk to tesco proved me wrong. Ouch the sun burn did not help you....Look forward to the hangover story some other time!!

Scottishleaf - good to catch up again online. Cheers me thinks so also.

brpro26 - :-)) I know I need to man up hahaha :-)), but the above sympathy made me feel much better. Still gutted to have missed a Grt day on mountains especially the way the weather turned out late afternoon.
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland