walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Maol circuit

Glas Maol circuit

Postby luckyguy68 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:32 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cairn of Claise, Carn an Tuirc, Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Date walked: 13/06/2012

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 1033m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today was a day of venturing into the unknown 8) This was my first time experiencing the joys of munro bagging on back to back days and hostelling. I left home at 0645 and was booted up and ready for the off by 0845. The weather conditions were pretty ideal with an overcast sun and very little wind.
The first munro of the day Carn an Tuirc was probably the most enjoyable. I had the company of a fellow walker on this one which certainly took my mind off the ascent. I was surprised to find how quickly the weather conditions can change, even in June. :shock: I went from t-shirt and sunshine to waterproofs and hail in a matter of metres.
20120613_091118.jpg
Cairn aTuirc

20120613_101638.jpg
Summit cairn

From here our paths parted. I with hindsight should have went on and added the additional two munros in the area. I thought it would have been to much for me, wrong!! :shock: The walk to Cairn of Claise was a panorama of surrounding hills and a feeling of being alone was felt. :thumbup: The summit was probably the most unspectacular to date. Really didnt feel i had bagged anything. Guess the high starting vantage point and no real loss of meterrage did'nt help matters. Nevertheless it had to be bagged!. :crazy:
20120613_110923.jpg
Cairn of Claise

20120613_110131.jpg
Cairn of Claise summit

The Glas Maol was a barren landscape and was reached once again with little ascent. I took the opprtunity to break for lunch in the shelter at the summit. True to form, i started eating just as the rain came on. I spoke to a few fellow walkers and then i was off with number four in sight :wink:
20120613_111537.jpg
Glas Maol

20120613_115918.jpg
Glas Maol summit

The view to Craig Leacach was pretty grand. From a distance it looked like a ridge walk though once on it it didnt feel that way. Another boulder dash to the summit. The views once again were pretty special. From here i could see my planned route down through the bealach. I could also see the ski centre at Glenshee and though of the long trudge that would face me along the the road back to the car :(
20120613_121513.jpg
Creag leacach

20120613_123139.jpg

20120613_130028.jpg
Creag Leacach summit

20120613_130031.jpg

20120613_131559.jpg

As predicted the descent to the road was steep and a wee bit hairy. Once i got going though i was fine. Just tried to not look to far ahead :shock: The walk to the car must have been a bit three miles long. Matters werent helped my driving rain and cars driving to fast and close to me :shock: All in all though it was an enjoyable wee day. Looking forward to spending my night and Braemar hostel. Gonna head out for something to eat an a few well deserved beers. 8) :wtf:
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland