walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr Choinnich, Sgurr a' Chaorachain & Maoile Lunndaidh

Sgurr Choinnich, Sgurr a' Chaorachain & Maoile Lunndaidh

Postby Stuart Blakeley » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:13 am

Munros included on this walk: Maoile Lunndaidh, Sgùrr a' Chaorachain, Sgùrr Chòinnich

Date walked: 08/06/2012

Time taken: 11.5 hours

Distance: 32 km

Ascent: 1676m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sadly left my camera in my car....grrrrrr!

My hillwalking buddies were up since Monday for a serious programme as the plan was for JC to finish his first round of Munros on the Saturday on Skye (see next report to find out if he achieved it!)

I didn't make it up to our base until late Thursday night so I could complete these 3 bad boys and get up to Skye for the final push.

As per previous visits to this area we stayed at the bunkhouse at the Ledgowan House Hotel at Achnasheen. We started from the car park at Craig and took the bikes up the very long and very steep track up the Allt a' Chonais. Been up here 3 times now so I will be glad to see the back of it now all these hills have been completed. (although I will miss the cycle back down!!)

We were planning to cross at the wire bridge at Pollan Buidhe and complete these hills anti-clockwise but as 2 of our group only had Maoile Lunndaidh to do, JC and I dumped our bikes at Pollan Buidhe and walked up to Glenuaig Lodge. Our other 2 in the Group (Andy and Gus) took their bikes up to this point.

Weather at this stage was very wet and windy and visability was very poor but we trodded on up the the summit of Maoile Lunndaidh. When I say we, I mean 3 of us did in any case. One of our group who shall remain nameless, Andy :roll: decided he could find a better route up to the summit and got disorientated :? and could not find the top so had to make his way back to the lodge to fight another day. Good luck!

As it was very windy and wet at the top we didn't stay for too long. We said our goodbyes to Gus who returned to the lodge and JC and I continued on.

It was a fair old slog off this hill and round to our 2nd top (Sgurr a' Chaorachain) but once we made it here it was a fairly straightforward up and down to the third and final top (Sgurr Choinnich)

We really started to get some breaks in the weather in the afternoon and some of the views were spectacular.

We made our way back down to the Bealach Bhearnais and back down to the bikes for the cycle back out (where I got a ruddy puncture!! - thankfully it was only about 10 mins from the car :lol: )

Managed to make it back to the Ledgowan House Hotel in time for last orders (food - 8pm) and enjoyed a couple of drams watching the football in the gun room)

Hill numbers 146, 147 and 148 for me and 282 for JC!!

Couldn't believe I forgot my camera.....rookie error! Having said that, the morning was not good at all but views did open up in the afternoon.
Stuart Blakeley
Munro compleatist

Munros:271   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland