walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Socach

An Socach

Postby luckyguy68 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:23 pm

Date walked: 14/06/2012

Time taken: 4.3 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 645m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day two of my wee adventure in The Cairngorms. Once again i could easily have bagged some more hills but i have not got my improvisiong head on for straying to far from my plans. :roll: Left Braemar hostel at 0835 and was on the hill by 0850. How splendifico would it be to have this beauty on your doorstep? :thumbup:
20120614_094714.jpg
An Socach

20120614_094727.jpg

Once again the weather conditions were almost perfect for walking. Light winds with a mostly overcast sun. I set of following the WH route plan. Once past the empty cottage though i took a right over a burn via an old rickety bridge. It looked well dodgy and at one point i thought it was'nt gonna hold. :crazy: :lol: I skipped over the burn at various stages to maintain a sure footing. Unfortunately, i took the less than direct path upwards. 8) I found myself zig-zagging through course heather and barely visable paths. I knew i had strayed off the main path looking backwards i saw the preferred ascent route. :crazy: Never mind, it was still a good leg stretcher whatever route was followed. :thumbup:
20120614_100438.jpg
Empty cottage

20120614_103649.jpg
View to forest and start point

The slog to the summit was pretty relentless. I managed it without stopping though false summit after false summit made me think i was going to be at it all day :crazy: True to form the wind got up at the top requiring the addition of bunnett and gloves :crazy: The wee shelter was well laid out and someone had been maticoulous in placing some sitting stones at stretegic points of the shelter :lol: Took an opportinity to have a munch on some grub at this point before contemplating going on to climb some other peaks. It was at this point that i decided i have a few years in me yet to come back for the others so called it quits. Decided just to descend via the upward route. 8)
20120614_111543.jpg
Summit shelter

20120614_111554.jpg
Summit cairn

I was surprised as to how steep it was on the descent. My knees were shot to pieces by the time i reached the bottom. I can only think of how much worse it would hae been if i didnt have my knee supports and walking poles in situ. :lol: My eyes were viewing up the next propositions on approach to the start point. Think i will be up here before the months out. :thumbup: :thumbup: :-P
Attachments
20120614_112941.jpg
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland