walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Too feart to continue after Sgurr na Feartaig

Too feart to continue after Sgurr na Feartaig

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:57 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr na Feartaig

Date walked: 16/06/2012

Time taken: 3 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a restless sleep in the tent due to rain most of the night our original plan was again in jeopardy. The plan was to climb the Corbett Sgurr na Feartaig and then climb the Munros Sgurr Choinnich and Sguss a Chaorachain but as it was still drizzly rain when we set off at 10am we decided to climb the Corbett and see how we felt about continueing. We reached the summit of the Corbett in just under 2 hrs fighting mainly against a howling wind. The route we took was again up the path to Bealach Bhearnais from the tent at Pollan Buidhe and up the slopes to the summit. On the path up we met a group of teenage school girls who were walking through towards Plockton with full packs on, we had a wee chat and wished them well, hope you made it through girls. When we got to the summit of the Corbett we sat for a bit at the large cairn, mainly to get shelter from the wind and secondly to decide if we would carry on to the Munros. It was decided we would return to the tent and i decided we would pack up once there and book a b&b for our final night, well i needed to get back in the good books after yesterday eventfull day at the crags. On our way down we first met an American with a Swedish accent who was on his way to the 2 Munros, then a English couple who were also on their way to the Munros and finally two guys from Glasgow who were heading for the Lurg Mhor round, we chatted and wished them all well. We did wonder if we should have just went for it as well but we were not really up for it and decided to return during better weather. When we returned to the tent we packed up and had an easy cycle back to Craig and then onto Garve and The Old Manse B&B for a comfortable nights sleep. :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

P1030273.JPG
Ridge that leads to Loch Sgurr na Feartaig

P1030274.JPG
A look back

P1030275.JPG
Loch an Laoigh

P1030276.JPG
Towards the huge boulder where the teacher sheltered awainting the kids

P1030277.JPG
The summit
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Re: Too feart to continue after Sgurr na Feartaig

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:44 pm

I think you made the right choice JC, in fact any time you don't really feel like it is the right time to turn back, after all we are doing this for enjoyment :wink: you seem to have met a lot of folks up there, I guess that's holiday season though eh :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby mgmt! » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:50 pm

johnny there is a great wee bothy at glenuaig lodge that sleeps two, it has electric lights and a heater !!!
when i came across it, it was full of booze, dont think the booze will be there now, and no i didnae touch a drop :lol:
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:38 am

mgmt! wrote:johnny there is a great wee bothy at glenuaig lodge that sleeps two, it has electric lights and a heater !!!
when i came across it, it was full of booze, dont think the booze will be there now, and no i didnae touch a drop :lol:

We met a guy on our way in that told us about that bothy but decided to camp as it was more convenient for the walks we would be doing and funnily enough Kim mentioned the bunk beds on quite a few occassions while in the tent :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:05 pm

[quote][/quote]then a English couple who were also on their way to the Munros
....hey ..that was me! ..glad you had a bit of luxury and went for a bnb on your last night.
We made it up the munros ..it wasnt too bad on the ridge ..wind eased thank goodness!
well done on the 200 ..not far to go now! ..maybe see you again on another hill sometime! :)
Alice
SAVAGEALICE

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:26 am

SAVAGEALICE wrote:
then a English couple who were also on their way to the Munros
....hey ..that was me! ..glad you had a bit of luxury and went for a bnb on your last night.
We made it up the munros ..it wasnt too bad on the ridge ..wind eased thank goodness!
well done on the 200 ..not far to go now! ..maybe see you again on another hill sometime! :)
Alice

Hi nice meeting you both and good to hear you enjoyed your day. Pity the cloud didn't lift for you though, hopefully when i return to these it will be in sunshine :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Postby Kim Corbett » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:43 pm

The B&B was heaven on earth after the wild camp nights with al fresco toileting accompanied by howling wind and rain around the nether regions, porridge that resembled peuk, luke warm coffee and restless sleep.

I’ll take fresh made coffee, a roasting hot shower, a big fat cosy downie and clean knickers any day. And don’t forget how good the venison burger and chips were from the burger van!

I'm in heaven thinking about it all again.
Kim Corbett

Postby Kim Corbett » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Hello Alice. Glad to hear you had a good walk! Would've been good to get better views - it's a nice area.
Kim Corbett

Postby SAVAGEALICE » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:12 pm

Loving the honest report of wild camping Kim! B&Bs get my vote! :) !
SAVAGEALICE

Fionas:79   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:46   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:33   Islands:21

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:46 pm

Kim Corbett wrote:The B&B was heaven on earth after the wild camp nights with al fresco toileting accompanied by howling wind and rain around the nether regions, porridge that resembled peuk, luke warm coffee and restless sleep.

I’ll take fresh made coffee, a roasting hot shower, a big fat cosy downie and clean knickers any day. And don’t forget how good the venison burger and chips were from the burger van!

I'm in heaven thinking about it all again.

reminds me of the night we splurged out on in Crianlarich hotel after coming off Stob Gabhar frozen, exhausted and starving, I have never slept in such a comfy bed or enjoyed a bath so much!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:29 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote: ...well i needed to get back in the good books after yesterday eventfull day at the crags....
a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do :wink: from the look of your photos and weather description, looks like you were right to hold off for another day - good trip up north all the same - cheers :D
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby grantrobertson » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:33 pm

This is one of the most brilliant exchanges among hillwalkers that I have ever read!...and gives me hope for mankind! Takes me straight back to evenings sharing hill stories in hostels after days out in our glorious Highlands.
grantrobertson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:100
Fionas:33   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:40   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland