walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More and Stob Binnein (from south)

Ben More and Stob Binnein (from south)

Postby ceaser » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:39 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Date walked: 18/06/2000

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The attachment our_route.gpx is no longer available

ive only been walking for 3 months ,but in that time WH and the walk reports have helped me out immensely ,so i thought it only fair that i should try and do a wee report that might help someone else out .

when i was walking Beinn Tuliachean and Cruach Ardrain last week ,i looked over to stob binnein and decided i was going to walk it from the south
4 days later and i wake up on a monday morning with a list of jobs around the house to do ,i,d managed to delay them for as long as possible ,but had promised i would get them done today .

the weather was perfect for walking though ,and i was sure the wife would understand if i went walking instead of doing the jobs :lol: half an hour later and im packed up and in the car .
Before i knew it, i was turning off for Balquider/Kingshouse and driving along loch voil ,the sun was shining and the loch was flat calm ,broontroot were rising for the fly in the loch ,a young red squirrel ran across the road in front of me and 300 yds along the road a spotted woodpecker flew alongside the car .....magic !

Its about 6 miles off constant turns and ups and downs ,till you get to Inverlochlarig car park ,but you cant miss it ,and the start off the walk is directly over from the carpark and over the stile.

its a steep start right away ,but there is a rough path up to the top ,by the time i got to the top ,i had a bit of a sweat on but i had a more gradual walk on a well worn path for the remainder of the walk to Stob Binnein and Ben More.

stopped along the way for a few photos and arrived on Stob Binnein summit in 1hr 50 mins ,met a guy from greenock and stopped for a wee blether ,watched a sea plane for a wee while ,a couple of more photos and on my way to Ben More ,arrived on the summit of Ben More in 3hrs,another few photos and a well earned break and bite to eat ,lazed about a wee while taking in the views and then started heading back.

i,d read the reports in WH and a few people had said they had thought about going back down to the bealach between stob and Ben More and then heading down to the glen between Stob and cruach Ardrain and out via the landrover track ,but i couldnt find any that had actually done it.

it looked the best bet for me ,so i hit the bealach and started heading diagonally down to the glen at the foot of Stob Binnein ,it was a bit marshy down ,but nothing too bad ,once in the glen ,same again ,a bit marshy but not too bad ,although i imagine it could get a lot worse with a lot of wet weather ,it was an easy enough walk back from there ,heading down till i hit the burn ,crossed over and on to the landrover track ,waiked down the track till i came to a fence over the burn ,crossed back over the burn there and made my way round the foot of the hill and back to the car park.

arrived back at the car 5hrs 5 minutes after i left .

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

pic1.jpg
start

pic2.jpg
loch voil

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic8.jpg

pic9.jpg
Stob Binnein summit

pic10.jpg
looking back up stob binnein

pic11.jpg

pic12.jpg
Ben More trig point

pic13.jpg
me at Ben More cairn

pic15.jpg
in the glen at the bottom of the bealach

pic17.jpg
cross here for car park
Last edited by ceaser on Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ceaser
Walker

Munros:92   Corbetts:52
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Re: Ben More and Stob Binnein (from south)

Postby skuk007 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:46 pm

Nice pictures, certainly shows me what I missed when I did these a while back.

I did it from the North and that initial slope was a bit of a killer all the way up, I'd think your route was probably a better one. :)
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby mrssanta » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:17 pm

was the missus happy?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Bod » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:09 am

Nice one! That's the route I fancy too :D :D :clap:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby ceaser » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:08 am

mrssanta wrote:was the missus happy?

shes been with me a long time ,i think shes just used to it now ,plus i did leave her a wee note promising to do the jobs when i came home from work this week and i even put 3 xxxs on it :D

Bod wrote:Nice one! That's the route I fancy too :D :D :clap:

it was a good walk Bod ,and if i had to do them again , i think i would do the exact same route again ,it was far more interesting than straight up the steep hill on Ben More
ceaser
Walker

Postby monty » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:55 am

Done these from the South too. Weather was superb at the time. Its a nice walk. I think its better than the slog from the North. :D
monty

Postby Fudgie » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:04 am

Having did these two from the North, that route from the South does look much better.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby pigeon » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:08 pm

Liked this broontroot,also tried this route from the south ,it's steep right enough from the start and only made it to Stob Binnien that day as the weather was rubbish,good to see some good clear photos,well done :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:132
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:26 pm

Brings back good memories broontroot :D I think this approach is by far the best, although I suspect any approach on these two will be steep :lol: So much better than chores around the house :lol: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby ceaser » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:55 pm

PeteR wrote:Brings back good memories broontroot :D I think this approach is by far the best, although I suspect any approach on these two will be steep :lol: So much better than chores around the house :lol: :lol:

did the cairnwell 3 yesterday ,horrible place.....not much in it , between the chores around the house and walking up there . :shock:

i think we are all in agreement then ,south sides best for these hills :D
ceaser
Walker

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:40 pm

Great day for it, i was like Pigeon, only got to Stob Binnein from this side due to weather and did Ben More another day from the north. PS i work with your mate Gary, well he claims you're his mate :lol: and we were just talking about you this morning :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ceaser » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:25 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Great day for it, i was like Pigeon, only got to Stob Binnein from this side due to weather and did Ben More another day from the north. PS i work with your mate Gary, well he claims you're his mate :lol: and we were just talking about you this morning :wink:

garys not got any mates.....but i do know him :D we,ll have to get a walk sorted out johnny ,and drag the fat marine along with us :lol:
ceaser
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland