walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bog Chonzie

Bog Chonzie

Postby thand » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 02/06/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Plan for the weekend -

Some friends had bought us a night at Redlands lodge near Cupar and a microlight lesson for our wedding present. Great ,so we booked the lessons for Saturday and then an extra night in the lodge for Sunday with the plan of a little Ben Chonzie action.

Saturday morning we set off, nervous about flying a glorified moped but excited non the less. Oh no lesson cancelled due to high winds - dam shame ;)
Oh well plan B St Andrews for a day then we can still walk on Sunday....

Sunday morning have my usual pre munro buzz on. Wife starting to get annoyed with me. Weather looks ok so off we go.

Soon we're at Loch Turret and following the path to the end of the loch where it starts to get a little mushy.
P1010160.JPG
P1010167.JPG
P1010174.JPG
P1010181.JPG

Still no problemo "it'll dry out higher up" I keep repeating. Not sure if I'm trying to persuade Lynn or myself. Still we leave the path off then end to find a dryer route. FAIL

Well the scramble up the near verticle heather and scree (on Chonzie?!?!) was a little drier and actually quite fun. And no time at all we're on top. Loving the view of lawyers et al.
P1010187.JPG
P1010190.JPG

So we decide to head back the high route alond the otherside of the loch. Views were great -then it starts to get boggy, and boggier, and even boggier. Rookie mistake from yours truly and i'm waist deep in a bog. Never had to strip off on a munro before - sorry no pictures.

At this point the mood is heading down hill faster than we are and Lynn is swearing that next time she wants a paved path or she isn't going.
P1010198.JPG

Well alls well that ends well - in a hot tub looking over the Fife countryside 8) and then a great dinner... weekend saved!!! :D
thand
Munro compleatist

Munros:192   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:8   

Re: Bog Chonzie

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:42 am

Enjoyed that, i was in a similar boat with my mrs when i had to save the weekend with a b&b after two nights wild camping :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland