walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane & Ben Vorlich via Sloy Dam and the Insanity Route!

Postby Gavin Canavan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:44 am

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane, Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 20/06/2012

Time taken: 9.3 hours

Distance: 16.9 km

Ascent: 1597m

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It had been a miserable rainy week with the Wednesday forecast to be the only dry day! So Wednesday it was! It turned out we were lucky and the weather was smashing! I even went home with a little sun burn (and my head down as my mother in law had been trying to slap sun cream on me before I left to which I refused) it kills me to say she was right :clap: :lol: !

My buddy James and I arrived at the Inveruglas car park and geared up at 0840, we were sad to see that the visitor centre was closed but the toll-free parking was a wee bonus! We didn't hang around long because the midges were out on force, set off at 0850.

IMG_4912.JPG
Sloy Hydro Power Station at Inveruglas

We headed up the dam access road with Ben Vane to be our first munro of the day, followed the path for a while where we met some sheep and admired this Iconic flower;

IMG_4920.JPG
The Iconic Scottish Thistle or Onopordum acanthium

The stunning hillsides of A' Chrois and Ben Vorlich towered above us but the power lines and pylons that littered them, for me seemed to kill the natural beauty of the area, It wasn't till the path swung round a little that we got our first views of the featureless slopes of Ben Vane.

IMG_4923.JPG
Ben Vane Kissing the Cloud line

The path was initially very boggy and we seemed to get covered in mud before our journey had even began!

IMG_4928.JPG
Initial path at the foot of Ben Vane

With the mountain being so steep we gained height very quickly where we got some fantastic views down to Loch Lomond with Ben Lomond and Ben Narnain in sight! I was a little apprehensive about our ascent on Ben Vane because I had read several posts reporting that it was a tough hill because of its incline but I was unimpressed and found it to be a doddle!

Some photos from our way up Ben Vane;

IMG_4929.JPG
Three Lochs; Lomond Arklet and Katrine.

IMG_4954.JPG
Nice viewing point to Ben Lomond

It wasn't untill after we had conquered several false peaks and were nearing the summit that we got our first sights of the dam.

IMG_4960.JPG
Loch Sloy, Sloy Dam and Ben Vorlich

We reached the summit at around 1040 where we found a spot out of the wind to have lunch and brewed up a wee Bovril which went down nicely! From here we planned our descent down to the dam and our route up Ben Vorlich, some parts looked very steep but we thought we could shave some time off our journey if we headed straight down towards the dam and it looked manageable, so that's what we done!
At the summit we realised we could see all five munros we had completed together which was nice. (Standing on Ben Vane) we could see over to Ben Lomond, Ben Narnain and Ben Ime which we had done just a few weeks before and Ben Vorlich was behind us. Views from The summit were great but the panorama was obscured by higher peaks in every direction.

IMG_4998.JPG
Obligatory Summit Shot

IMG_5000.JPG
(Left to Right) Ben Narnain, The Cobbler and Ben Ime from the summit of Ben Vane

IMG_5011.JPG
Taking the "Cross Country" route down to Sloy Dam

IMG_5029.JPG
Passed a lovely wee waterfall

Our descent down to the dam took longer than we expected and it was nice to stand on solid ground when we got there. The dam was impressive and we were pleased that there were no gates so we could walk over it.

IMG_5053.JPG
Loch Sloy from Sloy Dam

IMG_5044.JPG
Sloy Dam

IMG_5050.JPG
Sloy Dam

IMG_5052.JPG
Looking down the Valley from Sloy Dam

After crossing the dam we had our doubts about our planned route up Ben Vorlich and were considering following the road down to the path but we decided to man-up and go with our original plan which was taking the "Insanity" route straight up the north-west side of the mountain, it was super steep and we had to stop for several breaks on the way but the sense of accomplishment we felt when we re-joined the path at the top was great! It was here that we both realised that we were out of water! I thought I was well prepared as well taking 3 litres in my platypus but I guess I drank allot more with it being a hot day! We followed the path to the summit where we took some pics, grabbed a quick sandwich and began our decent along the "tourist" route 8) .

IMG_5068.JPG
Summit shot from Ben Vorlich

IMG_5062.JPG
Looking back at Ben Vane from Ben Vorlich, Ben Narnain, Ben Ime and The Cobbler in the background

IMG_5085.JPG
Trig point near the summit of Ben Vorlich

IMG_5073.JPG
From the summit of Ben Vorlich

IMG_5092.JPG
Descending Ben Vorlich

IMG_5093.JPG
Descending Ben Vorlich

IMG_5099.JPG
Descending Ben Vorlich

It was a hard slog back to the car at Inveruglas and we were both shattered! Our plan to stop and buy a glass bottle of Irn-Bru from a garage kept us going though! After nine hours and twenty minutes we were back at the car. All that was left to do now was drive home and face the dreaded "I told you so" from my mother in law :lol:.

Such a fantastic day we had! Thoroughly enjoyed it! I was glad we done both these hills on the same day as well as now we had completed the Arrochar Alps and could move onto more northerly munros, Beinn Chabhair next!

Here's the route we took.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Gavin Canavan
Munro compleatist

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   

Re: Ben Vane & Ben Vorlich via Sloy Dam and the Insanity Rou

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:37 am

Great stuff guys, thats the way to get up the mountains :thumbup:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Mountainlove » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:39 am

Brilliant route that was something I would have done :D Great pictures as well!! Regarding suncream-I usually keep a wee bottle in my backpack throughout the summer...you could ask your mother in law to organize one for you :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:49 am

Interesting route - well done guys :thumbup: - cheers :D

RTC wrote:Oh to be young again!
:lol: yup - I'm with you on that one !
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Gavin Canavan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:40 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Brilliant route that was something I would have done :D Great pictures as well!! Regarding suncream-I usually keep a wee bottle in my backpack throughout the summer...you could ask your mother in law to organize one for you :lol:

Thanks for the tip! I'll get my m.i.l to sort it out for me! :P
Gavin Canavan
Munro compleatist

Postby Gavin Canavan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:41 pm

Thanks for all the lovely comments :thumbup: :)
Gavin Canavan
Munro compleatist

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:15 pm

Nice report, yeah I wish I was young again too :D I like the way you have a person in most of your photgraphs, it really gives a sense of scale to the shot. Keep it up!
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Scott Mackay » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Well done guys, i'm doing both tomorrow and think i'll consider your "Insanity route" aswell ;-)
Scott Mackay
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Graham_Barron » Tue May 07, 2013 12:50 am

Recently decided to try start my career in Munro bagging :?

Was thinking start small and go big, but this route seems like i good hard way to start. Plus bagging 2 Munro's 1st time out :wink:

You've inspired me to try this. Good read, good pics, good post mate.
Graham_Barron
Mountain Walker

Munros:10   

Postby dtr42 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:39 pm

great report ,as i had already done ben vane 2 years go i went for the insane route today from the dam to ben vorlich and tbh i was surprised at how good it was ,steep but dry and good footing
dtr42
Mountaineer

Postby bluetyke » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:24 pm

Did this on Monday after reading your report. My first solo hike on new hills so with new GPS in hand and route downloaded and plan finalised I am on my way. Yes a hard slog along the 'insanity route' but a great days hiking in very good walking conditions. An excellent description in your walk report.
bluetyke
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:13
Fionas:9   Donalds:41
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:67
Wainwrights:142   

Postby stephenbrown » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:29 am

Going straight up from the dam is a really hard one. I found it easiest on all fours not looking up for an hour.
stephenbrown

Munros:36   

14 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland