walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis. First Munro

Ben Nevis. First Munro

Postby willywalker247 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:25 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 23/06/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 13.98 km

Ascent: 1320m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I wanted to do Munro so there was only one to start with and that had to be Ben Nevis. I know every man and his dog has been up Ben Nevis but now it was my turn with my son Rhys for company. Staying at the youth hostel at Glen Nevis. We started our climb from there.The weather was very poor (putting it mildly) Hit the cloud base at around 400m and from then on it was cloud and more cloud and raining on and off becoming heavy at times. The highlight of the day apart from reaching the summit was spotting a little brown frog/toad (to wet to take pic).On the desent with the wind picking up and the rain getting heavier, well you get the picture. You must be thinking why did it take so long. Well my right knee decided to give up on me and i limped most of the way down, pain increasing as i went. Thankfully it seems to be ok now. 1 Munro down 282 to go. ! :)
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Ben Nevis trip 019.JPG
Glad to be on the summit.
Ben Nevis trip 018.JPG
My Son Rhys
Ben Nevis trip 016.JPG
On the summit
Ben Nevis trip 010.JPG
Heading into the clouds
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Ben Nevis. First Munro

Postby skuk007 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:41 pm

Unlucky with the weather on your first, hope the next one you do you get the views that make the hard work worth it.

Hope your knee doesn't pay either. Good luck with the rest of them.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby monty » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi WW,
what an introduction to the Munros :( Never mind. It can only get better. Good effort anyway especially with the dodgy knee :D
monty

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:16 pm

I couldn't think of a better way to start your Munro bagging spree than with the biggest, they'll all seem so much easier now :crazy: well maybe not then but kudos to you WW for getting at it in those conditions and limping the entire descent :? great effort mate :clap: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Greigers » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:50 pm

Can only imagine the relief you felt when you finally got off her mighty back Well Done on bagging your first munro and another Well Done for bagging the biggest :clap: :clap: :clap:
Greigers
Mountain Walker

Munros:7   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby willywalker247 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:54 am

skuk007 wrote:Unlucky with the weather on your first, hope the next one you do you get the views that make the hard work worth it.

Hope your knee doesn't pay either. Good luck with the rest of them.

Another trip north later in the year, September time with luck and better weather hopefully. :)
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Postby willywalker247 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:10 pm

monty wrote:Hi WW,
what an introduction to the Munros :( Never mind. It can only get better. Good effort anyway especially with the dodgy knee :D

Hi Monty
You are right it can only get better. :) The upside is i`m keeping my Physiotherapist in work. :lol:
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Postby garyhortop » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:02 pm

Well Done Matey....am amazed you made it up to Scotland with the weather....still being a Welshman you must be used to all that rain!! Shame you didn't get to see much though! Well done on your first munro.....perhaps we ought to plan your next munro now!! :shock: :clap:
garyhortop
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:34
Wainwrights:14   

Postby willywalker247 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:30 pm

garyhortop wrote:Well Done Matey....am amazed you made it up to Scotland with the weather....still being a Welshman you must be used to all that rain!! Shame you didn't get to see much though! Well done on your first munro.....perhaps we ought to plan your next munro now!! :shock: :clap:

Sounds like a plan. :D I do have one in mind. Will chat when you return from your hols, have a great time. :) :)
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Postby willywalker247 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:38 pm

Greigers wrote:Can only imagine the relief you felt when you finally got off her mighty back Well Done on bagging your first munro and another Well Done for bagging the biggest :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hi Greigers It did seem a long trek down. It was good to have my son for company. My first pint did not touch the sides. :lol: :lol:
willywalker247
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland