walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Worshipping the Goddess Buachaille Etive Mor

Worshipping the Goddess Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby laconic surf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:07 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Mòr

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 26/06/2012

Time taken: 6.3 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1243m

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I will send a messenger in the form of your 2 year old daughter to wake you at 4.15am. If at first you do not respond, she will prise your eyelid open "to see if you're awake." It's an hour earlier than you intended to wake but the Goddess is waiting.
Hitting the road at 4.50 am you will arrive at the approach to my temple at 7.15, there is already several cars belonging to other worshippers here. When you arrive I will not be ready to show you my true form, I shall be masked from your view in thick clag.

IMG_1160.JPG

IMG_1161.JPG

Follow the track over the bridge until you reach the SMC hut. Here you will meet the gatekeeper to the temple. He will appear to you in the form of a collie dog. Approach carefully and show submissive behaviour. Before he permits you to pass, he will drop a stick at your feet. You may throw this and have a brief tug of war over it. Once the gatekeeper is satisfied you are worthy you may continue along the path and the road into the temple will be revealed.

IMG_1163.JPG

IMG_1164.JPG

To enter the temple you must climb a steep path - not for the faint hearted it will test your stamina and nerve.

IMG_1168.JPG

As you approach the top, the ridge will be shielded from your eyes. But do not despair, patience is a virtue, have faith and I shall at last send a light to guide the way.

IMG_1172.JPG

IMG_1175.JPG

IMG_1174.JPG

If you deviate from the already unstable scree path to "have a little scramble" I will test your faith by making both your handholds and footholds appear secure but often they will be loose rock and will plummit to the depths below. I will cause a loose rock to fall and glance a blow off your knuckles spilling a little blood in my honour.
Having proved your worth I will allow you to finally emerge onto the ridge. Views both sides are unavailable to you yet. To reach my highest point, Stob Deag, you must turn left and begin climbing again to make your way to the summit cairn.

IMG_1179.JPG

IMG_1194.JPG

Upon reaching the summit you will be rewarded as I shall finally draw back the veil of cloud and reveal my secrets to you.

IMG_1199.JPG

IMG_1195.JPG

You are now free to explore the temple and the rest of the ridge is lighted for you to take in my wonderous sights. Follow the track to reach the top of Stob na Doire.

IMG_1187.JPG

But don't forget to look back at where you've just been...

IMG_1228.JPG

On reaching Stob na Doire, descend to the right not SE for this way madness lies. Now attempt the steep descent, this will test you still as small rocks roll off into the depths.

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

From the ridge you may look across the glen and admire Buachaille Etive Beag. But do not covert my neighbour, for I am a jealous Goddess.

IMG_1219.JPG

Eventually you will reach my futhermost point Stob na Broige. From here you will see other temptations but do not worship them, for they are false idols. Instead cast your eyes back on the journey you have made and revel in my warmth.

IMG_1255.JPG

IMG_1250.JPG

It is now time for worship to end. Walk back along the ridge to the bealach and leave the temple via the very steep path to the valley floor. Here you will need to lower yourself off rocks and be careful to avoid slipping but you may rest and cleanse yourself in my waterfalls.

IMG_1261.JPG

Continue until you reach the path back to where you started.
Now you have honoured me, I shall reward you with the view that was hidden when you first arrived.

IMG_1276.JPG

Your worship is now complete. I am the Goddess Buachaille Etive Mor
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Re: Worshipping the Goddess Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby SMRussell » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:33 pm

Truly inspired report! :clap:

May fav piece...
laconic surf wrote:Here you will meet the gatekeeper to the temple. He will appear to you in the form of a collie dog. Approach carefully and show submissive behaviour. Before he permits you to pass, he will drop a stick at your feet. You may throw this and have a brief tug of war over it. Once the gatekeeper is satisfied you are worthy you may continue along the path and the road into the temple will be revealed.

Hoped to do these a few weeks back but the cloud was low and thick and didn't look like it was going to shift so we headed home (thankfully the Beinn a'Bheithir Munros had been bagged the day before in great conditions so it wasn't a wasted trip). Can't wait to return for my own worship although the Goddess will have to suck it up as we'll definitely combine these with their stunning neighbours.
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Postby monty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Interesting tale. Nice. Moody set of photos getting better towards the bottom. Good effort. :D
monty

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:12 pm

Nice One ....I wish all those Temples would reveal themselves like this one :lol: Well done
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Lenore » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:22 pm

Cool report, Laconic!
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby weescotsman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Cracking effort, we'd planned this walk for last Saturday but the weather intervened. Re-scheduled for July and hopefully a clear sunny day...............
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Postby jonny616 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:33 pm

While you were there did you say to the Goddess ' you're just a big herdsman' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice report & a clear day mostly. 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby laconic surf » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:06 pm

SMRussell wrote:Truly inspired report! Can't wait to return for my own worship although the Goddess will have to suck it up as we'll definitely combine these with their stunning neighbours.

Thank you :D
Combining the two will be an epic - I look forward to reading a report on it

monty wrote:Interesting tale. Nice. Moody set of photos getting better towards the bottom. Good effort. :D

Cheers Monty, the photo's reflected how much better the day got as it went along

L-Hiking wrote:Nice One ....I wish all those Temples would reveal themselves like this one :lol: Well done

Cheers. It was just one of those magical moments when you reach the top and the clag disappears - rarely seems to happen but I got really lucky 8)

Lenore wrote:Cool report, Laconic!

Thanks Lenore

weescotsman wrote:Cracking effort, we'd planned this walk for last Saturday but the weather intervened. Re-scheduled for July and hopefully a clear sunny day...............

Cheers, hope you get better weather on your next attempt :thumbup:

jonny616 wrote:While you were there did you say to the Goddess ' you're just a big herdsman' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice report & a clear day mostly. 8)

:lol: No, after she dropped the rock on my hand, I thought it best not to wind her up :lol:
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Postby morag1 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:04 pm

Great report Laconic, really enjoyed reading your account of climbing one of the great icons of Scotland, well done :clap:

laconic surf wrote:I will send a messenger in the form of your 2 year old daughter to wake you at 4.15am. If at first you do not respond, she will prise your eyelid open "to see if you're awake

:lol: :lol: :lol:
morag1

Postby thehawk_3 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:24 am

Great Report.......... hold you as the tale weaves its way up the mountain side. Keep them coming.
thehawk_3
Munro compleatist

Munros:59   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:6

Postby Higherthanhigh » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:56 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Brilliant mate. She is a beauty isn't she?

A walk report with some imagination - fantastic, well done :thumbup:
Higherthanhigh
Ambler

Munros:22   
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Postby laconic surf » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:09 pm

morag1 wrote:Great report Laconic, really enjoyed reading your account of climbing one of the great icons of Scotland, well done :clap:

Thanks Morag, just a wee bit of fun :D Thanks also for your comments on my other report this week, very kind of you...

thehawk_3 wrote:Great Report.......... hold you as the tale weaves its way up the mountain side. Keep them coming.

Shucks :lol: Thanks buddy

Higherthanhigh wrote::clap: :clap: :clap:

Brilliant mate. She is a beauty isn't she?

A walk report with some imagination - fantastic, well done :thumbup:

She really is. Cheers :D
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Postby brodiedillon303 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:24 am

I will send a messenger in the form of your 2 year old daughter to wake you at 4.15am. If at first you do not respond, she will prise your eyelid open "to see if you're awake." It's an hour earlier than you intended to wake but the Goddess is waiting.
Excellent report LS. Really enjoyed it.Reminded me of one of those text adventure games I bought for my sons Amiga in the late 80s. Like then i was sucked in by the text. So much so that i paid no attention to the photos as i wanted to see the next text. Great stuff well observed (particularly the eye prizing and stick ritual hee hee) and good entertainment. !0 out of 10. :)
brodiedillon303

Postby pollyh33 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:55 am

Oh I'm liking your style LS!

So glad the weather improved as your day progressed. Must confess to reading this report a couple of times because I enjoyed it so much !!!

P xx
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2

Postby meangarry » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:56 am

Good report as usual LS, found myself reading it in some weird demonic voice much like trying to read a paragraph of text next to a picture of Morgan Freeman. :lol:
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland