walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Liath Mhor a' Ghiubhais Li

Beinn Liath Mhor a' Ghiubhais Li

Postby John Burgess » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:54 am

Route description: Beinn Liath Mhòr a'Ghiubhais Li

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr a' Ghiubhais Li

Date walked: 31/10/2009

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

You must admit - that’s some impressive name :lol: Shame the hill doesn’t quite live up to it :crazy:
According to the walk highlands pronunciation guide Ghubhais Li means ‘coloured pine’. I’m not convinced – purgatory seems more appropriate. Then Beinn Liath Mhor a Ghuibhais Li becomes the Big Grey Hill of Purgatory – a much more appropriate description :lol: It’s not so much a hill as a vast tilted bog but, back in the 1980’s, the OS revisions revealed the height to be ever so slightly in excess of 2500 feet making it a Corbett. This, surely, is the only reason that a long list of walk highlanders appear to have been up there. It certainly explains why Carol and I had a few hours of fresh air and exercise squelching around on it whilst returning home from a week on the West Coast. I’m surprised that she’s still talking to me :roll:
Since no walk description yet exists on the site (can’t think why not) I’ll give a few details of the possibilities. You have been warned :wink:

We started from the west end of Loch Glascarnoch. Skirting round the left hand side of the plantation seen on the first photo we found a fixed wooden ‘gate’ which could be climbed to get us over the deer fences onto the open hillside above. We then headed pretty much for the point about halfway up the ridge on the right hand side of the photo and headed on to the summit of Meall Daimh. Anyone fascinated by wetland plants would probably love this route.

Meall Daimh.JPG

From Meall Daimh we took a direct line up the bogs of the North East slope of the ‘main’ peak – the photo below is the view back down these slopes from near the summit.

Looking back over Meall Daimh to Am Faochagach.JPG

At least we got a view from the top - maybe that explains why Carol is still talking to me :D
The South East ridge would be another (perhaps preferable) route up.

The Summit, The Fannichs and Carol.JPG

South East Ridge.JPG

Ben Wyvis.JPG

Glascarnoch Dam and the Aultguish Inn.JPG

Beinn Dearg.JPG

On the descent we waded round the west side of Meall Daimh rather than going back over the top then skirted the plantations and dropped down to the car. Here’s a photo showing the delights of this route :)

Round the west side of Meall Daimh.JPG

Now I am a great believer that every hill has something that makes it a bit special so, on the descent, I amused myself by taking a few photos of the most impressive features of this hill :wink:

Bog.JPG

The soggy red stuff.JPG

The Greenish Goo.JPG

I hesitate to recommend our route. Other ways up start from a bit further along Loch Glascarnoch where the stream to the east of Meall Daimh meets the road. There appears to be another wooden ‘gate’ to get you over the Deer fences and then you could either follow the stream up or get onto the ridge, obvious on the OS map, which is seen rising from the left side of the following photo. I don’t know if they’d be better ways up than our route but doubt if they could be worse :roll:

Other Approaches.JPG

Now I don’t really hold with enhancing photos but I thought it might be interesting to see if Photoshop could do anything to improve that last view of this rather unimpressive hill. Scroll down to see the result – remarkable what can be achieved these days :lol:

LOL.jpg
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Beinn Liath Mhor a' Ghiubhais Li

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:36 pm

First time I encountered that soggy red stuff we thought it was a butchered deer carcass or someting....until we got closer! :lol:
(that was just across the road on Ben Wyvis)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby monty » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:41 pm

Sounds like pretty much a bogfest John what with the Greenish goo and soggy red stuff :lol: Nice picture on the summit though.
monty

Postby Freewheelin » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:03 am

John Burgess wrote:It’s not so much a hill as a vast tilted bog

:lol: :lol:

I'm sure everyone else out on the hills on Saturday was thinking the exact same thing! :D
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Postby John Burgess » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:23 am

Freewheelin wrote:
John Burgess wrote:It’s not so much a hill as a vast tilted bog

:lol: :lol:

I'm sure everyone else out on the hills on Saturday was thinking the exact same thing! :D

You might have a point there, certainly Sloosh seemed to have a similar experience :lol:
John Burgess

Postby benno » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:49 pm

John Burgess wrote:I thought it might be interesting to see if Photoshop could do anything to improve that last view of this rather unimpressive hill

:lol: Amazing what technology and imagination can do these days!
benno

Munros:282   Corbetts:35
Fionas:16   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby conival » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Been up this hill quite a few times in summer and winter via various routes and never had any problems.
Smashing hill and one I look forward to doing again soon
conival

Postby John Burgess » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:47 pm

conival wrote:Been up this hill quite a few times in summer and winter via various routes and never had any problems.
Smashing hill and one I look forward to doing again soon

I suspect we just got it on a day when it was particularly damp :shock:
Thanks for giving some balance to my perspective :D

All the best,

John
John Burgess

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland