walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An atmospheric day on Tower Ridge

An atmospheric day on Tower Ridge

by wilkiemurray » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:18 am

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 24/06/2012

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1400m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: An atmospheric day on Tower Ridge

Postby foggieclimber » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:43 am

Superb video-clip, providing best info I've seen of Tower Ridge and the infamous gap.
Cheers
foggieclimber

Postby malky_c » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:20 am

Nice one :) . I can't see the video at work, but from the pictures, looks like pretty similar conditions to when we did it. We also started up a different route, taking us onto the top of the Douglas Boulder - big mistake as it was some of the loosest rock I've ever been on :shock:

I'll be back to check the video when I get a chance.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:48 pm

skuk007 wrote::shock:
I always thought I'd like to give this one a go when I get a bit more experience, however, after watching that video it has now been struck from my "To Do" list :lol:

Great video but I don't think I'll ever grow the necessary "kajangas" to do this route.

Hope the video has not put you off :shock: - its a fantastic route - as long as you can rope up at difficult sections its well worth the extra effort :D
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:52 pm

gaffr wrote:A fine wee outing on a less that summery day......you forgot to recover your sling at the gap crossing......more than just a sling? left behind there.....useful though :) Must say that I always throw a sling over that big spikey lump before dropping down into the gap.....T. ridge is always a grand day out in the hills. :D

Thanks - the "tat" at the tower gap :D is there much of the time i think - think there were about three rope slings a few weeks back..... just left it as we found it ......

Indeed I hope to do again in better summery conditions too :)
wilkiemurray

Postby Malckyb » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:49 pm

Fab video...its not hillwalking,that looks like serious climbing...dont think I would have the bottle for that one.Well done. :)
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Great video, love those helmet cam shots, they made me dizzy :D

I remember seeing guys on that ridge when I was on the summit last year and wondering what it was like up there. I'm glad you made that video because now I don't have to go and find out for myself :D
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby sloosh » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:09 am

Great video but tuck fhat! :shock: Didn't look too bad until you got to that wee bit where you have to walk across the ledge bit with the sheer drop on either side. :shock: :shock: :shock:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby MarilynMunro » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:52 am

Awesome "walk", congrats, Great footage, thats it ticked off my list, movie was soooo good don't fell the need to try it now ha ha
Positively Hitchcock-esque about 6min in.
If you dont win the webtogs I' ll have them to buy some cajones!!
:lol:
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:18 pm

sloosh wrote:Great video but tuck fhat! :shock: Didn't look too bad until you got to that wee bit where you have to walk across the ledge bit with the sheer drop on either side. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Haha - the headcam does capture the exposure well on that part - as long as you keep your whits about you - it is not too bad :crazy:
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:20 pm

MarilynMunro wrote:Awesome "walk", congrats, Great footage, thats it ticked off my list, movie was soooo good don't fell the need to try it now ha ha
Positively Hitchcock-esque about 6min in.
If you dont win the webtogs I' ll have them to buy some cajones!!
:lol:

Thanks for the nice comments - glad someone noticed the "horror" music at the gap - thought it added to the suspense - haha....... :shock:
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:04 am

sloosh wrote:Great video but tuck fhat! :shock: Didn't look too bad until you got to that wee bit where you have to walk across the ledge bit with the sheer drop on either side. :shock: :shock: :shock:

yeah - just re watched that bit - i'll need to head up in summer when there is no cloud to see whatit looks like when you can actually se the bottom! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wilkiemurray

Postby gymman47 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:03 pm

Well done and amazing video too ! Wish I had a head for heights like you guys. :crazy: :clap:
gymman47
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby quinners161 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:08 pm

Wow - amazing, really wanted to go up there, but not so sure now... :shock:

Who am I kidding, I'm sure it would take me a nano second to decide to go aswell. :D :D
quinners161
Mountain Walker

Munros:57   Corbetts:4
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   

Postby sootiecraig » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:17 pm

Brilliant video, brought back some great ( and scary!) memories!

Myself and a friend did this in May this year, expecting half and half winter, summer conditions. Snow covered 80 percent of the route and we topped out on the Ben at 11.15 pm in the end! Id like to go back and do it in dry summer conditions, the eastern traverse path was non existent, outwards sloping ice and we had to climb the steep wall to the right just before the tunnel pitch as it was blocked solid with ice!

Seems these wee headcams are the business, you have just convinced me to invest!

Great job guys, thanks for the memories too!
sootiecraig

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:15 pm

quinners161 wrote:Wow - amazing, really wanted to go up there, but not so sure now... :shock:

Who am I kidding, I'm sure it would take me a nano second to decide to go aswell. :D :D

Haha me too - its awesome - youde love it :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wilkiemurray

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland