walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Popping my Scottish Cherry

Popping my Scottish Cherry

Postby kylie12 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:33 pm

Route description: Meall a' Bhuachaille circuit, Glenmore

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a'Bhuachaille

Date walked: 23/06/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 15 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

so my first time out and about in the scottish highlands.... oh it was spectacular.
Now i was a bit concerned not only with the terrain but just scottish weather and its unpredictability. and as i was heading solo - i wanted to ease into navigating and getting around...so kept it rather simple. (as i had never navigated before). Also noting that i was completely on foot, taking megabus from edinburgh to aviemore.
First things. I camped in Aviemore near the old bridge Inn and the river nearby on the friday night - they were quite happy for this, as long as i didn't start any fires. was a good spot, allowed me to have a pint (or 2) and set up my tent somehow at 1am and a bit under the influence. surprisingly no midgies, which was great and was close to the station, to be able to take the bus first thing out to glenmore lodge. (also this was free, most other places near the town were looking to charge from £15 for single person and tent!)
Saturday i was actually planning to do a bit of windsurfing, unfortunately the weather was not so, so i did some kayaking on loch morlich. by afternoon. i did the loch morlich circuit - which was really beaufitul, easy to follow (no map needed at all) and was very quiet (until you get to the main road section) took only 1 hour to do the whole thing.
definitely recommend, flat terrain and beautiful. but midgies galore. if you stop for 2 seconds you are eaten alive (i now understand these weird looking beehive things people wear). As i decided not to camp there for the night - i queried in town and was recommended a bothy - the Ryvoan bothy. so i headed out there, which from glenmore lodge takes max 30 mins. it's actually a really nice walk. you pass the green loch - which is amazing emerald green- and is really close to civilisation - so if you are a newbie and a bit worried like me, you can always find a warm meal, a pint or even accommodation. (NB: the glenmore campsite is apprently the most expensive in the world £18 just single person with a tent!) the rain was quite heavy so, it was good to have some solid shelter, and admittedly was really not prepared for this (being australian, you are usually battling things that will kill you but not the weather). when i got there, it was surprisingly amazing and well kept. i wish i had known and would've brought firewood.
but when i got there - it was great, met a bunch of high school students with their handlers prepping for the duke of edinburgh awards. by the end of the night, it ended up being myself and a couple staying in the actual bothy. The next day was great, the couple where doing the main walk through up to aviemore and thought i'd attend for my first hill the meall a bhuachaille. it was hard work getting to the top, half way up was where hit cloud cover and the rain, wind where quite difficult - at one point it was hailing.
got to the top and couldn't see anything, but made my way down. the couple were continuing onwards along the ridges and hills (unfortunately i had a bus back to edinburgh). so i made my way down to glenmore rainforest, back down to loch morlich. upon the descent i fell below the cloud cover and all of a sudden it just opened up to a specatular view of the loch and rain forest and the hills....(unforunately i was not aware that batteries died in the cold, so no photos on my 2nd day). made my way back down through the forest - which was amazing. so green and lush.
through here i ran through a lot of people and headed back to aviemore. the walk from the glenmore region to aviemore took 2 hours and by then my feet were about to fall off and almost caved into hitching - but made it and took me the whole next day to recover!

so in total i walked about 15 km - and over the whole period took about 6 hours

so my next challenge is to head up and hit the cairn gorm summit and back down - hopefully the weather will be better, but most likely won't...so now i will be better prepared for the rain! I have also been practicing through the edinburgh pentlands - so hoping i will be much more equipped....my ultimate goal (before i'm kicked out of the country) is the Cairn Toul - Braerich traverse!
Attachments
2012-06-23 12.07.01.jpg
all round loch morlich
2012-06-23 11.06.30.jpg
start of loch morlich
2012-06-23 07.43.12.jpg
My first night pitch

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

kylie12
Hill Bagger

Re: Popping my Scottish Cherry

Postby alfie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:28 pm

hi kylie 12! you couldnt have picked a more beautiful place to pop yer cherry!i love the cairngorms!get yerself up machdui,you wont be dissapointed!but look out for the big grey man!!! :lol:
alfie
Munro compleatist

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Grahams:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Alan S » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:22 pm

Great 1st report Kylie12 8)
Best of luck with Cairntoul-Braeriach :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:207   Corbetts:4
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby kylie12 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:39 am

Thanks all! yes, very hard work. definitely realised what the winter does to a person in this country! But i endeavour to get fit!!

I have only 4 weekends left (to fit in) before i leave the country...so my plan is:
13th - 15th July - Cairngorm Route (i wasn't going to do the ben macdui - cause i am a bit of a novice but maybe if the weather is good - unlikely)
20-22nd July - Creag Mhor, Loch Avon route
7 -9 th September - Braeriach Traverse - yes this may difficult as it will be after the fringe festival and after a week holiday in spain! but this is my everest. i am trying to convince a work friend to do it with me, but hopefully i will have the skills and confidence to do it solo!
14-16th september - Braerich circuit - from coylumbridge (as i am walking, can;t get to whitehall)

so wish me luck!
kylie12
Hill Bagger

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:05 pm

good luck, take care and enjoy the walks.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   Corbetts:11
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:40   Islands:8

Postby L-Hiking » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Nice stuff Kylie

Hope the weather improves for your planned walks
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:68   Corbetts:7
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland