walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Bheinn and Beinn na Cloiche - Kinlochleven.

Glas Bheinn and Beinn na Cloiche - Kinlochleven.

Postby MacAoidh » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:54 pm

Route description: Glas Bheinn from Kinlochleven

Corbetts included on this walk: Glas Bheinn (Kinlochleven)

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Cloiche

Date walked: 17/10/2009

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 26 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hills Climbed : Glas Bheinn (Corbett), Beinn na Cloiche (Graham).
Date : Saturday 17th October,2009.
Distance : 26 km (16.1 miles).
Time taken : 9 hrs 20 mins.
Weather : Warm and sunny. Cool on tops.
Attendees : MacAoidh and Robin.

The forecast was for high pressure and a cracking day looked promising; so we decided to head for the Corbett Glas Bheinn. We had been keeping this one for a day when the weather was set fair as it has a fine panorama from its summit. I left home at 05:25 and drove to Balloch to meet Robin. We had a pleasant drive up to Kinlochleven in the early morning light.

Looking back towards Kinlochleven from the track leading to Loch Eilde Mor.

We parked at the Mamore Lodge Hotel (NN186630) above Kinlochleven and set off from there at 08:45 and followed the track which leads to Loch Eilde Mor.

Looking towards Aonach Eagach from the SW ridge of Glas Bheinn.

On reaching Loch Eilde Mor a path strikes off from the track and crosses the dam and then continues to the Meall na Cruaidhe shoulder on the broad SW ridge of Glas Bheinn.

Looking towards the Mamores from the SW ridge of Glas Bheinn.

Looking towards Glencoe from the SW ridge of Glas Bheinn.

It was a pleasant walk up the SW ridge and we arrived at the summit of Glas Bheinn at 12 noon.

Looking towards Stob Coire Easain and Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin from the summit of Glas Bheinn.

We sat for 25 minutes to have a bite to eat and marvel at the surrounding panorama; the sun was shinning, but there was a cool breeze. As it was still early we decided to head for the Graham Beinn na Cloiche which lies to the east of Glas Bheinn.

Looking towards Ben Nevis from the summit of Beinn na Cloiche.

To avoid the steep eastern side of Glas Bheinn we headed down the north eastern ridge and then descended to the watershed just north of Lochan Tom Ailein. From here it was a nice easy plod up the slopes of Beinn na Cloiche and we arrived at the summit at 13:45.

Looking towards Stob Coire Easain and Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin from the summit of Beinn na Cloiche.

The view from this summit was even better than that from Glas Bheinn.

MacAoidh on the summit of Beinn na Cloiche.

We sat for 45 minutes to admire the panorama in glorious sunshine and we were reluctant to leave, but as we had a long walk back we had to force ourselves to leave this lovely spot. So we set off down the south west ridge and joined the path at NN267627 which led us back over Meall na Cruaidhe to Loch Eilde Mor. We enjoyed the mellow lighting on the Mamores and down Loch Leven as we walked back along the track; but by the time we arrived back at the car at 18:05 the sun had gone and the light was fading. The darkness quickly fell as we headed homewards. I arrived back home at 21:30.
MacAoidh

Munros:282   Corbetts:93
Fionas:106   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:65   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Glas Bheinn and Beinn na Cloiche - Kinlochleven.

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:24 pm

I'd always thought that Glas Bheinn looked one of the less interesting Corbetts but you've sold it to me with that one. :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Glas Bheinn and Beinn na Cloiche - Kinlochleven.

Postby John Burgess » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:47 pm

Paul Webster wrote:I'd always thought that Glas Bheinn looked one of the less interesting Corbetts but you've sold it to me with that one. :D

Me too! Makes me regret the number of times I've walked round those hills rather than over them :(

Beautiful photos.

I seem to remember reading somewhere (might have been in the Staoineag bothy) that in the days when families lived at Staoineag and Luibeilt they would sometimes get together up at Lochan a Chuirn Dherg - just for a bit of a day out I suppose.

Thanks for the report,

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland