walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

stob an aonaich mhoir

stob an aonaich mhoir

Postby buggerlugs » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Route description: Stob an Aonaich Mhòir, from Loch Rannoch

Corbetts included on this walk: Stob an Aonaich Mhòir

Date walked: 08/07/2012

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 600m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

on a not particularly nice day i decided to do one of the less popular corbetts, stob an aonaich mhoir. the old push bike was taken out of mothballs because of the 12 km start up a private road to corrievarkie lodge on the shores of loch ericht. the start is immediately before bridge of ericht cottage.
start of walk.JPG
the cycle is not very steep but pretty much uphill all the way, which makes for quick and easy progress on the return journey. the route is easy with just one junction where i turned right and head uphill away from a bridge.
turn right.JPG
once i reach the highest point of the road, after about 12 kms, i stashed the bike and headed left up onto the slopes of stob an aonaich mhoir.
highest point of road.JPG
after about a 200m ascent a small cairn is reached with, on a good day, there would be good views of loch ericht.
cairn on stob an aonaich mhoir.JPG
[attachment=5][attachment=2]loch ericht from stob an aonaich mhoir.JPG
Attachments
loch ericht from stob an aonaich mhoir.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

buggerlugs
Munro compleatist

Munros:238   Corbetts:89
Fionas:73   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:32   Islands:21

Re: stob an aonaich mhoir

Postby welshwalker » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:44 pm

Nice report, the photos make it easy to follow. How long did it take you?
welshwalker

Munros:84   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:22 pm

Good to see a report on this one and with the use of a bike, exactly how i plan to do it so good to see road and time taken. Cheers :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby buggerlugs » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:20 am

welshwalker wrote:Nice report, the photos make it easy to follow. How long did it take you?

it took me roughly 2hrs 45 to get to the top, eat my sandwiches and return to my bike. normally it would take me longer but cos of low cloud there was very little to see. a very easy return on the bike took about 35 mins
buggerlugs
Munro compleatist

Munros:238   Corbetts:89
Fionas:73   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:20
Wainwrights:32   Islands:21

Postby Hilladdict » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:46 pm

Inspired by your report and photos, I decided to take the day off today given the good forecast and bag this Corbett. I took 4.5 hrs round trip with a diversion to look at the dam. The cycle back was great must say after the uphill on the way in! The walk part was easy and some great views from the top to surrounding hills. Makes me want to get out more! That's now two hills I've done thro the help of members, and hoping to now do many more :D. Thanks.
Hilladdict
Mountain Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:44
Fionas:19   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Graeme D » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:01 pm

I must confess, the purist in me is not sure he is looking forward to this one! :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Hilladdict » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:18 am

Graeme D wrote:I must confess, the purist in me is not sure he is looking forward to this one! :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Looking from the road a circular off road seems very possible - up over Sron à Chlaonaidh and along the ridge, and a return over some of the hills on the east side of the track? Would make a big walking day mind. I had been tempted (for a second or two) to abandon the bike and go over Carn Dhearg, but then again I am not fit and I left the start too late in the day, and quickly dismissed that idea! As I was convincing myself I also thought that cycling seemed no different really to those that take the car to the nearest point to the hill - woundn't be surprised if someone has taken a car along the track to do this one :crazy: .
Hilladdict
Mountain Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:44
Fionas:19   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby gaffr » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:57 am

Hello, confess that I also used my velo for this one and enjoyed the trip....it is a grand pedal up to near the high point. It is a fine place from which to view the hills. :) I have a near neighbour who was brought up at the cottage at the end of the track beside the Loch Ericht. On my way home I was teased onto the western ridge of Schiehallion, the light was still good.....this time without the bike though! :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland