walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

my first munro

my first munro

Postby colin leeming » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:04 pm

Route description: Mount Keen from Glen Esk

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 08/07/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hi ,
Just joined this site which i find very helpful in preperation before a walk. good to read other people`s comments and view their pics about certain munros. cant seem to get the hang of putting the pics in the correct order , so bear with me. This is the first time i have done a munro, in fact , any sort of hillwalking. Walked from Arbroath to Lunan Bay last week in preperation for my first Munro, a distance of about 11 miles, although we ( me and my friend Mark ) ended up doing about 15 miles in total . Just got my plastercast off May 1st after total rupture of my achilles tendon. I had been in plaster for 11 weeks. Dont know if i should have been tackling long walks at this stage as i`m still attending physiotherapy, although the expected telling off from my physiotherapist for walking 15 miles last week didnt happen, in fact she was quite pleased. So after buying a map in the camping shop yesterday of Ballater and Glen Clova, it was decided that me and my friend Mark would give Keen a go. Arrived at the car park at Invermark at 8.30am and set off for the Queenswell, from memory this took us about an hour. The next obstacle was the stream, which due to heavy rainfall the previous day was more like a small river. After delaying ourselves for about half an hour searching for a suitable crossing up and down the banks of the stream, we decided to remove our boots and socks and cross. ( note to self, take a small towel the next time ).After a quick bite to eat , we were off on the ascent. Must admit it was a bit steeper than i had expected. Some lovely views back down the Glen but as we went higher cloud and mist decended upon us. reached the summit at about 11.30 am . Visibility was very poor , it seemd a shame on my first Munro that there was not a breathtaking view at the end of my efforts. After a half hour stop for lunch , we set off downhill which we thought would be easy,how wrong we were, started feeling it in the both achilles tendons which i was expecting more on the ascent rather than descent.Luckily when we got back to the stream crosssing on the way back the water level was lower , so i kindly let Mark cross first and he didnt fall in so i went for it aswell. Arrived back at the car park at 2.30pm, so taking off our half hour delay at the stream and half hour lunch break , we did it in 5 hours. All in all a very enjoyable walk , learnt a few things from it , i.e , take some spare clothing ( my shirt was soaking from sweat by the time i got to the top ) and i think a pole or two will come in handy for those dodgy stream crossings.Mayar and driesh on the cards next hopefully, really looking forward to those. Any recommendations on any good walks in the Angus area for beginners greatly appreciated.
P7080114.JPG
Mark trying to find a suitable crossing
[attachment=2]
Attachments
P7080133.JPG
mark crossing the stream on the way back
P7080126.JPG
me at the summit
P7080125.JPG
P7080124.JPG
Mark at the summmit
P7080122.JPG
nearly there ( we think )
P7080120.JPG
me stopping for a photo opportunity
P7080115.JPG
nothing else for it but to remove the boots and socks
colin leeming
Mountain Walker

Munros:161   Corbetts:9
Fionas:9   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: my first munro

Postby pollyh33 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:09 am

Well done Colin on your first munro and first report :clap: :clap:

I still have Mount Keen to enjoy so thanks for photos.

You will love Mayar and Dreish, especially Corrie Fee, its fantastic!!!

Good luck :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland