walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My 25th Munro Beinn Liath Mhor (the hard way)

My 25th Munro Beinn Liath Mhor (the hard way)

Postby kenny3760 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:11 pm

Route description: Beinn Liath Mhor, Achnashellach

Date walked: 05/07/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 1000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had a trip over to Achnashellach to try and get my 25th Munro. I was actually hoping to get 2 in the day Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh, but as things turned out it didn’t quite work out that way.

Set off from Achnashellach and soon ran into some forestry work, which had closed a section of trail and had a diversion signposted. I followed the signposts, this was a mistake as it wasn’t the path I wanted that was closed, and was soon climbing out through the forest and got a nice view over Loch Dughaill.

PICT0005a.jpg

As I was climbing I noticed that I was going more east than north but didn’t really bother as I was still following the diversion sign. However when I cleared the forest I realised I was now on the Coulin Pass track and probably a fair bit off my intended course. A quick check of the map showed that if I followed the track I would reach a bridge over the River Coulin and if I turned left there I would be able to follow a path back to the east end of Beinn Liath Mhor.

PICT0008.JPG

Now as I am a kayaker, when I see new rivers I usually have a look to check out the possibilities of running it and the Easan Dorcha certainly looks like it would be very interesting with a bit more water in it, although access would be a bit of an issue. This meant I was probably dawdling a bit more than I should have been up towards Beinn Liath Mhor. On the way up I stopped to grab a bite to eat and took a couple of snaps of Fuar Tholl.

PICT0012.JPG

PICT0014.JPG

I continued up and decided to walk up into Coire Lair as my access route instead of climbing up Beinn Liath Mhor. Up to this stage the weather had been tremendous and as I walked up the coire I used the streams to cool my head and face off. The forecast thunderstorms didn’t look likely at this stage. I soon reached the top of Coire Lair, where I had great views over to Liathach and down to Upper Loch Torridon.

PICT0015.JPG
Looking up Coire Lair

PICT0016.JPG
At the top of Coire Lair

PICT0020.JPG

PICT0023.JPG

I climbed up through the sandstone blocks, and met these two little creatures just before I tackled the steepest part of the ascent.

PICT0029.JPG

I stopped to take some more pictures on the way up and finally at the summit cairn. I had views from Beinn Eighe all the way round to Fuar Tholl, stunning.

PICT0033.JPG

PICT0035.JPG

PICT0038.JPG

PICT0043.JPG

PICT0045.JPG

My plan at the head of the coire had been to climb Beinn Laith Mhor then come back down to the corie, go up Sgorr Ruadh and then walk down into the entrance of the coire. However from the summit it was obvious that the weather was beginning to change, and sure enough off in the distance were some heavy dark clouds. Then a few heavy rumbles of thunder. I decided to just walk the ridge I was on and head down the east end of it.

PICT0050.JPG

I started out and, the clouds were obviously getting heavier and darker and to the SW of me the rain was starting to tip down. I was still in the clear and Beinn Eighe was still bathed in sunshine, but it was obvious it was getting closer. Then there were a couple of lightning strikes a few hills over, eek. And then the first spots of rain hit me. I got my jacket on but before I could get the waterproof trousers on I was soaked through.
I headed along the ridge, descended the steep path and followed the path back down towards Achnashellach. It was at his stage I realised I had no need to follow the diversion at the start of my walk. However the rain and stopped and it was once again warm and calm. I strolled down through the forest and back to the car by the road. A great day out and my 25tyh Munro in the bag.
kenny3760
Munro compleatist

Munros:106   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Re: My 25th Munro Beinn Liath Mhor (the hard way)

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:44 pm

Some cracking pics there and sounds like you had some "fun" :D . Nice to see some blue sky - don't remember what that looks like :? .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: My 25th Munro Beinn Liath Mhor (the hard way)

Postby PeteR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:38 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:Some cracking pics there and sounds like you had some "fun" :D . Nice to see some blue sky - don't remember what that looks like :? .

Blue sky is what ChrisW has nicked and taken to Canada with him :lol: :lol:

Great report and pictures kenny. Looks like a tough one there. Still got the hills round this area to do, so all reports are gladly welcomed :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland