walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruising into double figures on Mayer & Driesh

Cruising into double figures on Mayer & Driesh

Postby PeteR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:28 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 17/06/2012

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I don’t think I could have imagined, when I took those first tentative steps into the Lost Valley on a sunny Saturday morning back in April 2007, quite the impact the Scottish hills and hill walking would have on me. Or just how much hill walking would take over my life.
DSCF0847.JPG
A lovely start to the walk, through forestry on an excellent path. Crossed a bridge that was apparently closed as it was in a state of disrepair (slapped wrist for me!) on my way through the forest

DSCF0863.JPG
The amazing Corrie Fee. A real hidden gem, which even though I knew it was coming was still a surprise

DSCF0868.JPG
Fee burn running silently beside me as I made my way into Corrie Fee

Suffice to say I got the bug.............bad :D :lol: Now, every weekend I can’t get out into the hills) I feel the frustration build during the following week as I itch to get my boots and clobber back on and traipse over some bog sodden path somewhere. To the uninitiated it just seems like madness, but I just love it :D
DSCF0870.JPG
A dirty great lump of rock. Corrie Fee appeared to be full of them

DSCF0895.JPG
The stunning waterfall at the head of the Corrie. It was well worth the short detour to stop awhile and take in the atmosphere. Especially when I could then look back down the Corrie floor, with the Fee burn meandering through it

DSCF0903.JPG
The path near the top of the Corrie wall. This was about as difficult as it came all day. Still affording great views back down into the Corrie

DSCF0907.JPG
That view back down into Corrie Fee. If I'd stopped the walk there and then it would have been worth it. But it was onward and onward onto the first summit of the day

At the time I took those first steps out of the car and into the wild the hills were a scary place to me, very much to be respected. And that respect is something which has certainly stayed with me. The hills most certainly are the boss :shock:
DSCF0909.JPG
Something of a trudge, this bit of the walk. Suddenly boggy, with little to keep me entertained at the time. I was glad to get me to the summit of Mayer eventually

DSCF0913.JPG
Mayer's summit cairn. Suddenly it was blowing a gale and ruddy freezing. A few quick snaps and I was offski!

DSCF0915.JPG
Driesh from Mayer summit

DSCF0918.JPG
Mayer summit view #1

DSCF0923.JPG
Mayer summit view #2

There was never any thought at the start of compleating (I didn’t even know what it was back then :eh: :eh:). I appreciate that the Munros (or should they more correctly be called the Robertsons for those of us not seeking out all the subsidiary tops in our travels) are just an arbitrary list and really we should just be enjoying all of the hills not just a select group (I do do Corbetts too occasionally, so hopefully that gets me brownie points with some of you :lol:). The list though, in all its arbitrary madness, provides me with a focus, something to aim for; something that can be articulated to the uninitiated who just think I’m a loonball :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DSCF0945.JPG
Between Driesh and Mayer. This was good walking on a good path. The drop down off Mayer wasn't steep in any way and it was a nice little amble to the ascent of Driesh

DSCF0948.JPG
The path up onto Driesh. From a distance I thought this might be steep, but it wasn't really and I was soon over the worst of it, with a short pull up onto the summit plateau. Managed to lose the path at one point after I had got to the top of this section, and when you see how defined the path is, I can't work out quite how I veered to the left in the way that I did.

DSCF0955.JPG
Rain clouds a coming. Pretty much the story of the day, with showers moving in at regular intervals. Never too bad, but enough to be a nuisance all the same.

DSCF0957.JPG
View back to Mayer as I was making my way up onto Driesh. I still had some views at this time......but that would soon change (well, for a shortwhile anyway). This is Scotland after all

Over the few years there have been highs and lows, successes and failures. But I firmly believe that in all these experiences I have become the better for them :D
DSCF0972.JPG
Driesh. Munro 2 for the day. 184 in total and just 99 left to go. And oh, the views! What views. Well, no views hahaha. To be fair, the cloud did sweep in an out after a few minutes, but never to any great extent. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. I've no complaints though, as so far I think I've won more than I've lost on all my trips

DSCF0994.jpg
Heading off Driesh I decided I'd not go down the usual path below the Shank of Drumfollow, but would walk along ther top of the Shank itself. That way I could get views into Corrie Fee, Glen Clova and Corrie Kilbo. I also got a good view back to Driesh to boot.

DSCF0995.jpg
Path along the Shank. Made a fine end to the walk in the hills

DSCF1008.jpg
A view back to Mayer and Corrie Fee from the Shank

And, despite being a lone walker, I‘ve met some great people along the way too. Some I’ve walked with, while others has been no more than a quick chat along the way. Long may the camaraderie continue in whatever form it takes :thumbup:

It’s rained (quite) a bit and the sun has shone too (MWIS do get it right sometimes :lol: :lol:). Midges have had a good nibble too :lol: :lol: But my skin is now oh so soft, which seems to kill them off :lol: :lol: :lol:

Walks have to be meticulously planned, even if their execution has left a lot to be desired sometimes :lol: Great times spent pouring over maps, reading route descriptions in guide books, looking at Google Earth at a 3D image – and of course the great community that is Walkhighlands for excellent walk reports and photos :thumbup: Learning to gauge my abilities relative to other contributors on the site (so for example when Messrs Monty and Doggett post a time I tend to add on three hours :lol: :lol:)

I remember back in October 2008 walking down off Gairich and meeting a chap along the way. He asked me then what my ambition was in terms of the Munros. I think I suggested that perhaps 100 would feel pretty good, given travel to some of the more remote, out of the way places and all that. I remember him suggesting to me that I’d easily hit 150 with no problem, maybe more. I wasn’t that convinced from what I remember. Anyhow, clearly he was right and I was wrong :lol:
DSCF1012.jpg
A bit of sunshine in Glen Clova as I made my way off the Shank. I was hoping for a better view into the Glen a bit further down, but it never quite materialised the way I had hoped.

DSCF1027.jpg
Glen Clova again. By now the rain was setting in again (!)

Over the last year and a half something has certainly “clicked” with me, as the numbers have been tumbling as I chip away at the list. And with that thoughts of compleation have increased in my mind :D That is, until I read any reports and view any pictures on the Inn Pinn :wtf:
DSCF1028.jpg
The path back to the car park. Nearly came a cropper on a tree root. As hard as I tried not to step on the slippery little blighters one of them tricked me. I showed comendable grace and poise though as I overted a potential prat fall. Swore a bit though hahaha

DSCF1031.jpg
Rocks in the trees. Well, I thought it looked interesting

And so my first target for the year has been reached. Depending on your views on Beinn a'Chlaidheimh I cruised into double figures on one of either Mayer or Driesh. I’m working to the 283 myself for now, and so Driesh is for me the achievement of the target. Not necessarily the hills I would have chosen to hit double figures, but Corrie Fee alone was worth getting out of bed for 8) :D 8) :D
DSCF1035.jpg
Now, I don't take drugs - honest! The odd pint here and there and perhaps a painkiller now and then, but nothing hardcore. So this is a bit worrying. From a distance, when I was walking back, I could swear this looked for all the world like a warthog or wild boar - not the mossy, grassy root system of a fallen tree!!

184 down.....just 99 left to go :D :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Cruising into double figures on Mayer & Driesh

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:42 pm

Superb report Peter and a fine reflection on a madness that is good to have and helps with sanity!! you're just a hundred ahead of me. but it has taken me 30 years to get this far I'd better speed up a bit!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby PeteR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:54 pm

mrssanta wrote:Superb report Peter and a fine reflection on a madness that is good to have and helps with sanity!! you're just a hundred ahead of me. but it has taken me 30 years to get this far I'd better speed up a bit!

Thanks mrssanta. MrsR refers to my enjoyment of the hills as an obsession, which probably isn't too far from the truth :lol: I suspect my pace will be slowing up a bit on the remainder of the hills though, as many of them are in out of the way places. There's also the awful "Inn Pinn" to consider as well :shock: I'm going to need therapy for that one :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:52 pm

Brilliant Pete, great to look over these two again, I remember my trip over these two on a beautiful day in April 2011, where you say "Something of a trudge, this bit of the walk. Suddenly boggy, with little to keep me entertained at the time. I was glad to get me to the summit of Mayer eventually" is exactly as I remember it, though I still really enjoyed these two but then I think I enjoy them all :D

Great report mate and lovely photos to rekindle my old memory banks, well done on cruising into the final 99 with style :thumbup: :-D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:6   

Postby PeteR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:04 am

ChrisW wrote:Brilliant Pete, great to look over these two again, I remember my trip over these two on a beautiful day in April 2011, where you say "Something of a trudge, this bit of the walk. Suddenly boggy, with little to keep me entertained at the time. I was glad to get me to the summit of Mayer eventually" is exactly as I remember it, though I still really enjoyed these two but then I think I enjoy them all :D

Great report mate and lovely photos to rekindle my old memory banks, well done on cruising into the final 99 with style :thumbup: :-D

Cheers Chris. I perhaps should have said that I realy enjoyed these two - far more than I had expected to. It was only that one boggy section which was a bit sapping. Otherwise a great day all in all.

Glad it rekindled old memories. See, you still hanker after the clag and rain :lol: All that great weather you're currently enjoying - it's not good for you, you know :lol: :lol: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby jonny616 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:09 am

A fine report Peter & some great photos. I really enjoyed these two when i did them. Nice to see them again :clap:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby davgil » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:57 am

Entertaining read PeteR :)
Didn't get the title till the last sentence, I'm sure several of us are on the same journey, although many miles behind you :lol:
davgil
Mountain Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:8
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Postby Fudgie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:24 am

Now, every weekend I can’t get out into the hills) I feel the frustration build during the following week as I itch to get my boots and clobber back on and traipse over some bog sodden path somewhere. To the uninitiated it just seems like madness, but I just love i

I fully agree. Trying to describe why I do it to some people is a hard task and they'll probably never understand how I can enjoy spending hour after hour alone on a hill. When the weather has been poor then they really struggle to get it but I enjoy every minute of it.

Right now I'm sitting in an office in Glasgow, looking out the window at the rain coming down and all I can think about is getting out on to a hill. That was a great read Pete and it's clear that you had a great time.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Steve B » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:17 am

Well said PeteR. I think you sum it up for a lot of us.
Good luck with the remaining challenges. :thumbup:
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby SusieThePensioner » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:13 am

What a great report, Pete, and some wonderful sentiments you've expressed that will ring true with many people :thumbup:

PeteR wrote:Now, every weekend I can’t get out into the hills) I feel the frustration build during the following week as I itch to get my boots and clobber back on and traipse over some bog sodden path somewhere

Do make the most of every opportunity you have, get out and enjoy the hills; I became ambulant disabled over 6 years ago and still sometimes find it difficult to come to terms with :?

Good Luck for the rest of the Munros shall look forward to all your reports :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby MarilynMunro » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:22 am

Cheers for a very reflective and honest report, I was thinking of somewhere to go next time home and I think you may have helped me out.
Congrats and good luck for the rest
ps feel your anguish about the in pinn, something I may never see(hopefully :lol: :lol: :lol: )
MarilynMunro
Mountaineer

Munros:43   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby PeteR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:22 pm

jonny616 wrote:A fine report Peter & some great photos. I really enjoyed these two when i did them. Nice to see them again :clap:

Cheers jonny. I agree - a couple of good hills. I think I had maybe underated them up til now, but they were something of a pleasant surprise :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:24 pm

davgil wrote:Entertaining read PeteR :)
Didn't get the title till the last sentence, I'm sure several of us are on the same journey, although many miles behind you :lol:

Thanks davgil. It's a great journey :D I hope you enjoy your miles as much as I have enjoyed mine so far :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:27 pm

Fudgie wrote:
Now, every weekend I can’t get out into the hills) I feel the frustration build during the following week as I itch to get my boots and clobber back on and traipse over some bog sodden path somewhere. To the uninitiated it just seems like madness, but I just love i

I fully agree. Trying to describe why I do it to some people is a hard task and they'll probably never understand how I can enjoy spending hour after hour alone on a hill. When the weather has been poor then they really struggle to get it but I enjoy every minute of it.

Right now I'm sitting in an office in Glasgow, looking out the window at the rain coming down and all I can think about is getting out on to a hill. That was a great read Pete and it's clear that you had a great time.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks Fudgie. I'm sitting in an office in Glasgow looking at the same rain as you are. Like you I can't wait to get out on the hills at the weekend. Plans are all sorted, so long as I don't have a lst minute change of plan :?
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:32 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:What a great report, Pete, and some wonderful sentiments you've expressed that will ring true with many people :thumbup:

PeteR wrote:Now, every weekend I can’t get out into the hills) I feel the frustration build during the following week as I itch to get my boots and clobber back on and traipse over some bog sodden path somewhere

Do make the most of every opportunity you have, get out and enjoy the hills; I became ambulant disabled over 6 years ago and still sometimes find it difficult to come to terms with :?

Good Luck for the rest of the Munros shall look forward to all your reports :lol:

Thanks Susie. MrsR herself would love to join me on my adventures, but she too isn't able to get out because of her health (and when she does she really suffers for a few days after :( ). I totally appreciate my health and the priviledge to get out and enjoy all that the Highlands have to offer. None of us know what is round the corner, so its something I certainly don't take for granted. So long as the pins will hold me I'll keep on walking :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland