walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

All paths lead to Ciste Dhubh

All paths lead to Ciste Dhubh

Postby basscadet » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:24 pm

Route description: Ciste Dhubh and Am Bathach, Cluanie

Munros included on this walk: Ciste Dhubh

Date walked: 09/07/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13.01 km

Ascent: 803m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

isteDhubh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So with not much time on Monday before we had to go home. My dad and I decided to go up Ciste Dhubh. We had stayed in the van just at the top of the road out to Cluanie Lodge, so we literally, fell out of our sleeping bags early, and got chased by midges awa fae the van at 7.30.
There was a debate about the best route up Glen An Caorann Beag, but i convinced my dad that the path on the east side of the glen looked best on my map. This involved a short section along the road before the corner of the former forest (now desolated). The path was boggy to begin with but sections of it were rather good. The path the other side of the glen looked better though, and I felt silly to of insisted we take this one..
Even before we got to the top of the glen, we were in the cold mist, and the ascent up to bealach Choinich was boggy, and the path was patchy at best.. Up in the bealach, the way forward wasn't at all obvious, and there were big gloopy lakes of runny peat and hags to negotiate.. We managed through with dry feet however, and there was a really steep squelchy section up onto the ridge.. The clag was so thick it was hard to see anything much along the ridge except the occasional meadow pippit appearing suddenly into view and disappearing just as fast! :) There were more lumps along the ridge than we expected, and there were huge crags on the eastern side that came in and out of view. the last section was pretty steep, but eventually a wee cairn came into view. We sat there a long time and ate a lot before we decided it was getting a bit chilly to hang about.

GEDC1343.JPG
Dad at the top

As we went back along the ridge, it suddenly started to clear, and lovely views started to open up.

GEDC1344.JPG

GEDC1349.JPG

GEDC1350.JPG

We took a slightly different line down trying to avoid the worst of the sqelchy bits, but I managed to gain one wet foot :( We tried the path on the other side of the glen, as it had looked so good, but it was pretty rubbish. We definately made the right decision to go up the other side. It was lovely walking through the lush meadow though, and the sun came out to brightem the day. The path improved, and became a track, then it was nae far back to Cluanie Hotel and the Van.

GEDC1351.JPG
Dad looks back toward Ciste Dhubh
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Grahams:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Re: All paths lead to Ciste Dhubh

Postby hills » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:44 pm

Usual info, hope to do this soon. :D
hills
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:109
Grahams:109   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:157   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:8   

Re: All paths lead to Ciste Dhubh

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:17 pm

Did this on a Sunday after the South Sheil in craicing weather ...a grand wee hill one of my favourite so far :lol:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:178
Grahams:33   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:28

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland