walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Starav, Beinn nan Aighenan, Glas Bheinn Mhor

Ben Starav, Beinn nan Aighenan, Glas Bheinn Mhor

Postby gman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:00 pm

Route description: Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Beinn nan Aighenan, Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Date walked: 09/07/2012

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 22 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

starav actual.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Forecast was for mist & fog till noon, but Glen Coe webcam showed it was clear at ground level but low cloud higher up. Was first to the parking spot around 9am, had a look at the ridge up Starav:

Down, over the bridge and got to the gate. Hill path sign posted up the side of fence:

Took direct route rather than follow river, then crossed burn:

I had done the descent route before, going up Albannaich:

Path continues up towards ridge:

As forecast, cloudy at top:

Looking up River Etive towards Glen Coe:

Nice ridge walk leading into cloud - visibility was actually OKish further up:

Getting craggy, bit of scrambling on boulders. I tripped & skinned a finger but bravely soldiered on :lol:

Trig point & cairn at the top of Starav. Met a guy here who had been camping down at the river, he was thinking of doing the 5 but fortunately I'd already done the other 2 so could have an 'easy' day.

Followed path on to south summit and Stob Coire Dheirg, scrambled over rocks on the arete but there's a path to the right too:

Optional extra: Beinn nan Aighenan. Looks easy from here!

Weather clearing now, this is probably where I started to get sunburnt :D

Down to the col, there's a cairn marking the start of 2 paths to Beinn nan Aighenan. I went the lower route:

Then more easy descent. There had been a lot of easy walking to here from the summit of Starav so it's a bit of a shock to start ascending again. Looks steep but there's a clear path with a wee bit of scrambling. Had been passed by a couple of guys at this point so they offered encouragement as they descended 8)

Great views from the top. At this point I realised that beer, fags & kebabs isn't ideal training for hills :D

Starav clear of cloud now, and the route to Glas Bheinn Mhor:

Tried to find a short cut, but returned the same way. Looking back to Beinn nan Aighenan:

Another summit which I tried unsuccessfully to find a shortcut around:

Views opening up now:

Finally reached cairn:

Looking back to Starav:

Then a bit of craggy scrambling on the descent path to the bealach. Looking down from here:

And back up to craggy scramble:

These are great hills with mixed terrain (bit boggy at the start/finish but not too bad) but could be a struggle if you've been a couch potato for 3 weeks before :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Starav, Beinn nan Aighenan, Glas Bheinn Mhor

Postby PeteR » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Good effort to bag the three, especially given your training regime :lol:

Love these hills, so always enjoy a report on them. So glad you got a good day in the end too, so you could enjoy the great views all round :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Fudgie » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:50 pm

I've seen a few reports of people doing the three and its a thought that won't leave my head :lol:

Glad you got some good weather for it as it's been miserable down here :( I went out recently after stuffing my face the night before on chips and cheese and it was, eh, slow going :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby gman » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:55 pm

PeteR wrote:Love these hills, so always enjoy a report on them. So glad you got a good day in the end too, so you could enjoy the great views all round :D

Yeah, these 3 are a bit special - ridge walk, scrambling & views. Looking at the 3 on the other side of Glen Etive next.

Fudgie wrote:I've seen a few reports of people doing the three and its a thought that won't leave my head :lol:

Glad you got some good weather for it as it's been miserable down here :( I went out recently after stuffing my face the night before on chips and cheese and it was, eh, slow going :D

Weather was fine up there but it was raining all day in Alexandria. I had chips, cheese and kebab meat but it turns out I've got a cold coming on so I'm blaming that for lack of pace :D
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Paula Hubens » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:47 pm

Great pictures gman! They give a good idea of what to expect. I have got these three in the planning for my next trip. Your pics are a very tasty appetizer. :D
Paula Hubens

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland