walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob a' Choire Odhair & Stob Ghabhar

Stob a' Choire Odhair & Stob Ghabhar

Postby thehawk_3 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Date walked: 06/07/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1189m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday's weather forecast was for a good day 70% chance of cloud free summits north of Loch Lomond national park, so our plan was to go to the Black Mount. Steve my walking partner and I arrived at Victoria Bridge car park, got the gear sorted and headed over the bridge and left down the track to Glen Etive, turning on to the path at the green SMC hut, the summits were all covered in clag Oh well! better than sitting at home.
IMG_0631.JPG
Victoria Bridge Car Park
IMG_0632.JPG
Clag Covered Mountains
IMG_0634.JPG
Creag an Steallaire Falls
IMG_0635.JPG
The Path
It was round about this time we discovered I had left the map in the back seat of the car, well it has got to happen sometime and I had my compass and my new GPS with the waypoints loaded in. What could go wrong but the next waypoint was getting further away. we should have turned right and headed up the hill after the small burn on our right. But we had carried on up the path towards the bealach, a bit longer but no harm done
IMG_0640.JPG
Heading Up To Stob a' Choire Odhair
Then the clag started to lift and the views across Rannoch moor opened up. We were soon at the top and stopped for some lunch at the cairn, just chilling out and looking at the way we were going.
IMG_0642.JPG
Looking Over To Stob Ghabhar
After about 20 minutes we headed back down to the Bealach and started the upward trek to Stob Ghabhar I think the next section is called Couloir Buttress. We found it quite steep and with some loose scree but nothing too bad.
IMG_0646.JPG
IMG_0647.JPG
IMG_0648.JPG
IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG
We crossed over the small Aonach Eagach and made our way to the top a good day on the hills.
Attachments
IMG_0644.JPG
Looking Back To Stob a' Choire Odhair
thehawk_3
Munro compleatist

Munros:59   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland