walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 at Loch Quioch

3 at Loch Quioch

Postby pigeon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Gleouraich, Sgùrr a' Mhaoraich, Spidean Mialach

Date walked: 13/07/2012

Distance: 22.9 km

Ascent: 2032m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Friday,Sgurr a Mhaoraich
A chance to get away for a quick trip with the tent this weekend so fancied what looked like a couple of easy-ish walks up Loch Quioch.Left Lithgi at about two on Friday afternoon and after a mind numbing drive up the A92 i was on the path and heading for Sgurr a Mhaoraich for half 5.A great path takes you almost to the top of this good hill ,very dry as well,looks like this area has missed most of the downpours the central belt has seen as the Loch looked very low too.
Loch Quioch 3 003.JPG
views opening up as i gain some height
Great views opened up back down to Ben Nevis and the views from the top were superb,South Shiel ridge ,the Saddle,Skye,Knoydart Gairich and many others clear to see.
Loch Quioch 3 007.JPG
Sgurr a Mhaoraich
Loch Quioch 3 009.JPG
the Ben in the distance
Loch Quioch 3 012.JPG
South Glen Shiel ridge and Alltbeithe
Loch Quioch 3 023.JPG
Gairich and Loch Quioch
Reached the top in 2 hours and sat for half an hour taking photies and enjoyed a can of beer and a pork pie thinking to myself "man,we've a lot of hills to climb yet :shock: ".
Loch Quioch 3 030.JPG
great views from the top
Loch Quioch 3 037.JPG
treats
Loch Quioch 3 038.JPG
Ladhar Bhienn -i think
Loch Quioch 3 039.JPG
Beinn Sgrithaell
Loch Quioch 3 026.JPG
Could have sat there for ages,total peace and quiet and not a breath of wind but i had to get back to the car and get the tent up,never like going the same way down so varied it a bit by returning to about the 850 metre line and then dropping down the grassy slopes south eastish and picking up a path near the stream,back down to the road and at the car in 4 hours dead.Got the tent up at the road side ,had a pot noodle and a tin o' Bud then crashed out.No midges at this stage. 8)
Saturday,
Spidean Mialach and Gleouraich,

No midge last night but when i woke in the morning it was Pidge versus Midge,millions o' the wee shits were swarming outside the tent but this time i was ready. :lol: :lol:
Loch Quioch 3 052.JPG
Pidge v Midge battleground
After last years Cairngorm nightmare i was well prepared ,gloves ,midge net and t-shirts and everything else tucked as i made brekko and packed the tent away.Still a pest though and i ate my grub in the car whilst i waited on Ian and Kev who would join me for todays walk .The lads arrived at half 7 and we drove a short distance back along the road to the parking spot for Spidean Miallach and Gleouraich.Midges here as well so no hanging about and we set of for Spidean quickly.
Loch Quioch 3 056.JPG
making our way up Spidean Mialach
Surprisingly this path was pretty dry as well and we made good progress to Spidean Mialach in just under 2 hours.
Loch Quioch 3 063.JPG
some locals
The cloud had mostly cleared by this time and again great views were had.
Loch Quioch 3 067.JPG
from the top of Spidean
Loch Quioch 3 068.JPG
Ian and Kev
A quick break then down and up again to Creag Coire na Fiar Bhealaich(took me ages to type that)where we spoke to 2 guys from Aberdeen going the opposite direction before heading onto Gleouraich.
Loch Quioch 3 074.JPG
the bold Jake
Loch Quioch 3 076.JPG
looking back to Spidean from Gleouraich
Great views again then it was down the excellent path to the cars and back in about 5 and 3 quarter hours.Met the Aberdonians again and lost Jake for a bit before heading off down the long and winding road,stopping at Invergarry for a swift ale.Two great walks these ,not to taxing with great viewpoints,must return soon to climb some of those big steep buggers we could see down Knoydart and Skye. :thumbup:
Loch Quioch 3 078.JPG
team pic on Gleouraich
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:132
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Re: 3 at Loch Quioch

Postby Alan S » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:36 pm

Excellent Pigeon cracking pics 8)
The midges at that area are the worst I have ever experienced :shock:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby soulminer » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:09 am

A nice report there on some seriously fine hills. Some stunning scenery around that particular area.

Pigeon wrote :
Could have sat there for ages,total peace and quiet and not a breath of wind

Question : Then why didn't you ? :lol: Would have been a great place to camp :wink:
Cheers.
soulminer

Postby Benjaminnevis » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:00 pm

Looks a good trip but nae sure about the treats.a bottle ah glen coe stout would go better we the pork pie i think ?? :lol:
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby trekker53 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:08 pm

Good report. Truly a beautiful area with fantastic views all around. When I did these plus Garich in late May, the mountains were so quiet, hardly seen a soul and that was in good weather.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby PeteR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:59 pm

A fine treble there pigeon :D

Glad you got views on your two days :D The day I did Spidean Mialach and Gleouraich it rained from start to finish, was mostly horizontal on account of the strong wind, I didn't see a thing and I got thoroughly soaked. To date one of my most enjoyable walks in the hills yet :lol: Absolutely loved it. Clearly I am sick in the head :lol: I'll never forget the fixed grins on the fces of a couple of young foreign lads when I told them it could be worse, it could be raining :lol: :lol: They bailed soon after.

It's good to see though all the great views I missed when I was there, although I've been back since to pick off most of the south glen sheil ridge of course. If the weather does improve sufficiently sometime this year I will be entering a period of negotiation with MrsR to see if I can pay a visit to the wilds of Knoydart for a weekend camping :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Frigate » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:00 pm

Well worth the drive, a cracking day
Frigate
Munro compleatist

Munros:137   Corbetts:12
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:9
Islands:12

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:22 pm

Smashing report Pigeon :clap:

Glad to hear that you took on the midge and won! (ish)!!!

Was dreading unzipping my tent this morning (in Glen Nevis) but luckily there were none about :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Another fine report pigeon,still got Sgurr"a"Mhaoraich to do,have a wee hankering if I ever get close to completing this may well be the last one.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby pigeon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Alan S wrote:Excellent Pigeon cracking pics 8)
The midges at that area are the worst I have ever experienced :shock:
Thanks Alan,hate the midge,evil is the only word :(
soulminer wrote:A nice report there on some seriously fine hills. Some stunning scenery around that particular area.

Pigeon wrote :
Could have sat there for ages,total peace and quiet and not a breath of wind

Question : Then why didn't you ? :lol: Would have been a great place to camp :wink:
Cheers.
No into lugging tents and aw that up hills SM,struggle to get myself up them :lol:
Benjaminnevis wrote:Looks a good trip but nae sure about the treats.a bottle ah glen coe stout would go better we the pork pie i think ?? :lol:
You could be right Benjamin,i'll try that next time :wink:
trekker53 wrote:Good report. Truly a beautiful area with fantastic views all around. When I did these plus Garich in late May, the mountains were so quiet, hardly seen a soul and that was in good weather.
Cheers trekker,it was very quiet ,seen the 2 guys from Aberdeen and only one other couple over the 2 hikes ,magic :thumbup:
PeteR wrote:A fine treble there pigeon :D

Glad you got views on your two days :D The day I did Spidean Mialach and Gleouraich it rained from start to finish, was mostly horizontal on account of the strong wind, I didn't see a thing and I got thoroughly soaked. To date one of my most enjoyable walks in the hills yet :lol: Absolutely loved it. Clearly I am sick in the head :lol: I'll never forget the fixed grins on the fces of a couple of young foreign lads when I told them it could be worse, it could be raining :lol: :lol: They bailed soon after.

It's good to see though all the great views I missed when I was there, although I've been back since to pick off most of the south glen sheil ridge of course. If the weather does improve sufficiently sometime this year I will be entering a period of negotiation with MrsR to see if I can pay a visit to the wilds of Knoydart for a weekend camping :D
Cheers pete,been doing some research into the Knoydart wilds and i see there is a bothy and a wee campsite at Barisdale,think the walk in from Kinlochourn is about 6 miles,all you need now is some good weather and permission from MrsR and you're good to go :lol:
Frigate wrote:Well worth the drive, a cracking day
Just a shame you and Ian couldn't make the Friday Kev,we shall return though :thumbup:
pollyh33 wrote:Smashing report Pigeon :clap:

Glad to hear that you took on the midge and won! (ish)!!!

Was dreading unzipping my tent this morning (in Glen Nevis) but luckily there were none about :D
You got a lucky break with the midge then polly.Didn't exactly escape scot free from Loch Quioch,doing a bit of itching now but no-where near as bad as last time though :D
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby pigeon » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:25 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:Another fine report pigeon,still got Sgurr"a"Mhaoraich to do,have a wee hankering if I ever get close to completing this may well be the last one.
Would be a fine choice Gammy,looking forward to the report :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:34 pm

Enjoyed that - some great photos esp on the first day :thumbup: Haven't been in the hills here yet but hope to sometime. Not a lot worse than getting out the tent in the morning and being hit by hordes of midges - they just seem to get everywhere - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Scotjamie » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:57 am

PeteR wrote:Glad you got views on your two days The day I did Spidean Mialach and Gleouraich it rained from start to finish, was mostly horizontal on account of the strong wind, I didn't see a thing and I got thoroughly soaked.

Pretty well describes my experience on these two hills as well - so good to see pics of what I missed. Thanks for great report, Pigeon, which urges me to return to these in better weather....maybe for GLW's top-out :)
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Ian Bayne » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:17 pm

A couple of great hills a good report pidg well worth the journey even though kev drove great day out
Ian Bayne
Mountain Walker

Munros:184   Corbetts:39
Fionas:13   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:12   

Postby pigeon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:54 pm

Cheers RH and scotjamie,these would make good winter hills,if you could get down the road that is :lol:
Ian Bayne wrote:A couple of great hills a good report pidg well worth the journey even though kev drove great day out
Ye canny beat havin' a chauffeur for the day Ian 8)
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland