walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Castlelaw and Allermuir

Castlelaw and Allermuir

Postby nigheandonn » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:01 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Allermuir Hill

Date walked: 14/07/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 395m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was mainly a walk on the flat (more or less), with the hills tagged on the end - in from the bus terminus at Balerno, through Green Cleugh, along the side of Loganlea and Glencorse Reservoirs,

The first part, as far as Loganlea, I'd done another day on the way to Carnethy Hill, and I made pretty good time at in the beginning - I wanted to be inside Green Cleugh before stting down for lunch, and I was hungry! There were occasional deep puddles but overall it wasn't as wet as I thought it might be, although the burns were clearly very busy taking water away, flowing over grass, and in one place down the middle of the path as well as in the usual bed.

DSCF5929.JPG
Waterfalls on the Logan Burn

DSCF5934.JPG
Lover's loup

The sun had come out by the time I got to Loganlea, which was both beautiful and busy, full of boats and anglers.

DSCF5935.JPG
Loganlea Reservoir

I climbed up to find the Howlet's house, although I can't see what an owl would do with a house like that!

DSCF5938.JPG
The Howlet's house

Until then it had been fairly quiet, but I met more people from then on, including two large groups. Glencorse was also pretty, but not as busy, at least on the water.

DSCF5940.JPG
Loganlea outflow

DSCF5946.JPG
Glencorse Reservoir

I left the side of the reservoir and headed up to the track running round to the army buildings and ancient fort at Castlelaw, where I investigated the earth house (which is made of stone - maybe they weren't very good with names around here?)

DSCF5962.JPG
Earth house, Castlelaw

The next part was fairly steadily uphill - I'm never happy on the first hill of the day, and leaving it so late didn't help. I eventually reached the track which swings back to the summit of Castlelaw Hill (very stony and crumbly), and made my way up to the summit, decorated with a flag and a kind of sentry box, where I rewarded myself with a Tunnock's caramel wafer!

DSCF5967.JPG
Castlelaw Hill summit

From here my ultimate objective was clearly in view, and once I'd got down the worst of the Castlelaw track things improved - or I'd grown more resigned to the going uphill business. The view back along the other side of the reservoirs was also impressive.

DSCF5968.JPG
Fala Knowe and Allermuir Hill

DSCF5972.JPG
Pentlands ridge

The views from the top of Allermuir Hill are good as well - over Edinburgh, with Arthur's Seat looking very knobbly, and back over East Lothian and all the landmarks of the John Muir Way. There was a post with a space for a plaque to tell you what you were looking at, but the plaque itself was gone...

DSCF5983.JPG
Allermuir Hill summit

DSCF5979.JPG
Edinburgh view

DSCF5982.JPG
East Lothian view

I had meant to go on along the ridge to Caerketton Hill and Hillend, but I was going to be late for dinner, so headed straight down towards Swanston and the track out to Lothianburn. I can come back for the rest....

This part really was wet - mud and running water on the paths, and puddles of water in the grass. Very unfair after keeping my feet more or less dry all day - and slow. But I made it down, and to the garage at Lothianburn, and smuggled ice cream onto the bus as I wasn't sure if they had a rule against it. The proper end to an adventure.

DSCF5985.JPG
Caerketton Craigs

DSCF5989.JPG
Swanston
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland