walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cobbler & Some Snow 07/11/09

The Cobbler & Some Snow 07/11/09

Postby James_McG » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:12 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 07/11/2009

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well after the last two climbs up Ben Lawers & Ben Ledi with no views (due to low cloud) would it, could it be third time lucky? Would we get a clear sunny day with amazing views all the way? Ayeeeeeeeeee right! NO CHANCE :D :D We cancelled this walk two weeks ago due to high winds and heavy rain then re-arranged it for yesterday, Saturday 7th November.

This time seven of us headed up the Cobbler, three of the lads having never really climbed mountains before. There was low cloud AGAIN but it was pretty mild with no wind the whole way up, plus we were pretty amazed to see some snow waiting for us as we headed for the summit.

The rock pinnacle (The Needle) at the summit is amazing, the atmosphere was different class with the snow and cloud, very atmospheric. After reaching the summit Davie cracked open his hip flask (he does this everytime he climbs a mountain he's never done before) made a snow angel & then built a snowman. :wtf: :crazy: :wtf: We all had a brilliant day out & a good laugh, would highly recommend it.....Looking forward to heading back on a clear day :D :roll: :roll:

All photos taken with my phone :wave:
C01.jpg
UP WE GO :)
C02.jpg
NARNIAN BOULDERS, TIME FOR A BREAK & SOME FOOD
C03.jpg
GET THE SOUP OUT
C04.jpg
ONWARDS AGAIN!
C05.jpg
MOOOOVE IT SUNSHINE!
C06.jpg
TIME FOR A BREATHER HEADING UP THE STEPS
C07.jpg
AND UP
C08.jpg
AND UP SOME MORE
C09.jpg
GET YER JACKET ON YA DAFTY
C10.jpg
HELLO DOWN THERE
C11.jpg
WHAT WAY NOW CUZ?
C12.jpg
THAT WAYYYYYYY
C13.jpg
AHHHHH I SEE
C15.jpg
IS THIS THE WAY BRUCE?
C16.jpg
SMILE, YOUR ON THE EDGE
C17.jpg
NEARING THE NEEDLE
Climbing The Cobbler.jpg
MAKING MY WAY TO THE NEEDLE
C18.jpg
NEEDLE PHOTO
C19.jpg
NEEDLE PHOTO AGAIN
C20.jpg
THE SNOWMAN
C23.jpg
HEADING HOME
C24.jpg
NEARLY BACK AT THE CAR PARK
Hope you enjoyed the report, thanks for viewing :D
Last edited by James_McG on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James_McG
Munro compleatist

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Grahams:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: The Cobbler & Some Snow 07/11/2009

Postby David Gormley » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:03 pm

Ahhh Jim,

Great report and great photo's, it sums they day up from start to finish, and I've got the snow angel photo's for you. :wink:

I was amazed you got sky Sports on your phone when we reached the summit.

It was a braw day oot. And one day we'll get rewarded with stunning views. :D
David Gormley
Munro compleatist

Grahams:1   

Postby Nicla » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:19 am

Doesn't look like the weather dampened your day at all! Did the Cobbler earlier on this year, have still to go through the needle, one day!
Nicla

Munros:81   Corbetts:2
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby James_McG » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:05 am

Nicla wrote:Doesn't look like the weather dampened your day at all! Did the Cobbler earlier on this year, have still to go through the needle, one day!

Hi Nicla,
Your right the weather did'nt dampen our spirits at all, think the only damp thing was Davie doing his snow angel.
Lol, yeah had a wee look through the needle, not sure if i'd want to go through it to be honest, looked a bit scarey on the other side :wtf:
James_McG
Munro compleatist

Re: The Cobbler & Some Snow 07/11/09

Postby mountain coward » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:13 am

Well I've been through the needle... just no further thanks!

You look to have had a great day on the hill, wish I'd come with you... but that's exactly the weather we got when we did it!
mountain coward

Re: The Cobbler & Some Snow 07/11/09

Postby James_McG » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:54 pm

mountain coward wrote:Well I've been through the needle... just no further thanks!

You look to have had a great day on the hill, wish I'd come with you... but that's exactly the weather we got when we did it!

Hi MC,
Yeah ws a great day, had a good laugh!
I also had a wee peek through the needle, mmmmm! Dont think any further for me either to be honest :crazy:
James_McG
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland